• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What Printer would you stake your business on?

jasonx

Are you saying you run 10 rolls a day...every day of the week on your 3000? One machine? At 675 sq ft per roll of 54"x150' material thats the math.

I don't run 54"x150' rolls. I run what you guys call 63" rolls by 360 feet long. That's 160sqm in my world and google says 1722.23sqft in yours. Dual roll each load. 3444sqft each load. A tad less with the waste.

200,000sqft / 21 days = 9523sqft a day. Its three dual loads a day.

We're pretty hammered at the moment we need to add more capacity.

Christian @ 2CT Media

From the net:
"While the price varies by dealer, the Colorado 1650 sells for approximately $70,000"
That is just under list. We got a much better deal, which I can't share due to it not being offered to everyone. This machine is blazing fast vs the 570 and so far our testing shows it will work fine for our applications and we look forward to testing wraps.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Canon never sells anything list price lol. Everyone gets a different deal based on who you are, your throughput etc. They can make any money back on service contracts, inks, consumables etc. Their maintenance equipment, swabs etc are all pretty pricey if you buy direct. Not to mention any canon media is always 17x the price of all our other suppliers!

we actually don’t buy any canon media now. We’re getting their floor vinyl for a bit for a high profile client but switching to a different make that’s literally half the price and looks/feels/prints the exact same.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What ink costs were you quoted on the Colorado’s? And what ink cost(s) do you get on the HP’s and epsons? I’ve just run the numbers on our throughput/ink bought/used and we’re a LOT cheaper running the Colorado than we are our old mimaki (with third party inks).

Christian @ 2CT Media

Canon never sells anything list price lol. Everyone gets a different deal based on who you are, your throughput etc. They can make any money back on service contracts, inks, consumables etc. Their maintenance equipment, swabs etc are all pretty pricey if you buy direct. Not to mention any canon media is always 17x the price of all our other suppliers!

we actually don’t buy any canon media now. We’re getting their floor vinyl for a bit for a high profile client but switching to a different make that’s literally half the price and looks/feels/prints the exact same.
We arent buying from Canon, we are getting from POA who gave us an even better deal and lower costs overall. Our ink price is $125/L like our latex, but based on testing ink consumption is much less than the 570s. When we put it through its paces we will see.

Only issue we have is lam silvering so far.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yikes, I'd rather have 5 60600 Epson machines vs 1 of those!
This is a mentality we used to have, but stop and think. You have to maintain 5 printers, color manage 5 printers, replace consumables in 5 machines, on on and on.

Eventually if your capacity serves upgrading to a industrial machine makes sense. For us we are on the cusp but these Colorado printers are a stop gap that gives us the speed and quality but not the size or price requirements.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Our litre ink costs are comparable then. After running the numbers canon quoted us about 80p sq/m on ink at full coverage but going by our printed sqm and how much ink we’ve used, it’s more around 50p sq/m including wastage. Naturally as not all our jobs are full coverage.

that’s compared to about 1.67 on our mimaki running third party inks.

Not sure I’d be quite as keen on maintaining and filling 5 epsons with ink then servicing, maintaining etc.

we haven’t had any problems with slivering on the 1640 so far. Assuming you’re running a heat assist laminator etc. We run mostly orafol stuff when it comes to SAV.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Our litre ink costs are comparable then. After running the numbers canon quoted us about 80p sq/m on ink at full coverage but going by our printed sqm and how much ink we’ve used, it’s more around 50p sq/m including wastage. Naturally as not all our jobs are full coverage.

that’s compared to about 1.67 on our mimaki running third party inks.

Not sure I’d be quite as keen on maintaining and filling 5 epsons with ink then servicing, maintaining etc.

we haven’t had any problems with slivering on the 1640 so far. Assuming you’re running a heat assist laminator etc. We run mostly orafol stuff when it comes to SAV.
We've never ran heat in the past but we may have to start running heat now.

TomK

This is a mentality we used to have, but stop and think. You have to maintain 5 printers, color manage 5 printers, replace consumables in 5 machines, on on and on.

Eventually if your capacity serves upgrading to a industrial machine makes sense. For us we are on the cusp but these Colorado printers are a stop gap that gives us the speed and quality but not the size or price requirements.
Ok maybe 2 or 3 then . Also don't you need the more expensive lam for UV prints?

Ioan321

Printer
Came from a GS6000 and will be going back to Epson soon. The only upside Latex has on Epson is the ink durability and immediate lamination.
Can you share any information on the durability without laminating? We have Latex prints that stay indoors and are satisfied; is it worth exploring other options in terms of machines? Afraid hp latex durability can't be beaten. What do you think? I didn't see comments on the forum regarding this

Christian @ 2CT Media

Can you share any information on the durability without laminating? We have Latex prints that stay indoors and are satisfied; is it worth exploring other options in terms of machines? Afraid hp latex durability can't be beaten. What do you think? I didn't see comments on the forum regarding this
If you have the workload the canon 1640/50 inks are scratch impervious to a higher level than latex, canon warrants the Inks for 2 years unlaminated outdoors from all the docs we were shown, and the gamut is much higher than latex due to no dot gain.

We get ours the first week of december.

Ioan321

Printer
If you have the workload the canon 1640/50 inks are scratch impervious to a higher level than latex, canon warrants the Inks for 2 years unlaminated outdoors from all the docs we were shown, and the gamut is much higher than latex due to no dot gain.

We get ours the first week of december.
Yea, I read about yours. Wish you best of luck. We're not loaded with as much work, currently still utilizing L25500. However we need whatever we print to last - not for colors to fade after an year indoors, for example.

Christian @ 2CT Media

A 3 or 5 series will serve you well. The Mimaki UCJV series is also very fast and super durable inks especially for Indoor. The Oki E or M series may also serve you well as long as you arent working in any restrictive applications

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I could probably be doing with some printer suggestions. Got three printers running non stop and apparently the Colorado is busy until Tuesday if I go by how long it says it should take to print all it’s jobs lol

Christian @ 2CT Media

Now we are trying to decide between a Summa F1612, Colex SX1732, or a ProCut Premia 2500M. The Summa and Colex are only $10,000 difference but the Colex is a 5x10 conveyor with a 5hp Quick Change Spindle. The ProCut is only a 5x8 but it is faster and about $40,000 more than the Colex.

I think the ProCut offers the most longevity but the Colex is better configured for us right now. The Summa would be great/best for our roll stock and not do well for our routed sheets.

Ioan321

Printer
A 3 or 5 series will serve you well. The Mimaki UCJV series is also very fast and super durable inks especially for Indoor. The Oki E or M series may also serve you well as long as you arent working in any restrictive applications
Naturally HP is best prefered, since we have experience with it. We are just worried in 4-5 years these consumables for these current models will be discontinued also.. Hope next year HP comes up with some newer budget model

aparat

Just curious, you made research so you might know:
1. What media can be printed with latex that colorado cant do?
2. Is the ink change to 460 just empty the old and fill the new or allso some firmware upgrade? Do the bottles have chips on them? If not you could easy swap..