• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What processor to run?

Chris -

1. You can definitely OC these newer machines. Do some reading and see what they do nowadays. Much of the OC'ing depends on the proper matching of the motherboard/cpu/memory.
2. The dual-core depends more on your want/needs to upgrade later. New software is coming and they will be able to better utilize dual-core processors.
3. 10k SATA drives are faster than 7.2k (just as 7.2k was/is faster than 5.4k) - but they get hot and lead to early failures because of the heat. If you get and run any 10k drives, make sure that you keep them cool.

My machine has a 120mm fan just for the drives (server case), and they are away from everything else (motherboard, cpu, etc.) Not sure if 15k is available in SATA. (SCSI is extremely expensive per meg - so I do not recomend it unless you plan on living with it forever, whcih will pay off with much lower failure rates and components of greater quality).

Lastly, your computer guy is not going to be able to offer much assistance (unless he regularly uses Photoshop), other than being able to build you a monster (for a lot less than 10 g's).

Call Adobe and find out what they recomend, before you start making commitments AND see if your RIP (and other needed software) will run on Vista. You need these answers first.

ejgemstone

Because the hard drive is the only mechanical part in a system it will always be the speed limiter. Photoshop, depending on how many undos you have set up makes a copy every time you make a change. Even if you have a ton of memory it will always save these to scratch disk. The only way to significantly speed up this process is to move to a striped disk configuration.
this writes the information to 2 or 3 drives at a time effectively doubling or tripiling your save speed. The best option right now I think is 3 SATA drives running striped. Another option is a ram drive. It acts as a hard drive but is physically ram. It runs at transistor not mechanical speeds. Unfortunately ram is expensive and doesn't give you enough space for a scratch disk.