• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What sells the most ?

Newbie_on

Hello Folks,

Finally I bought my plotter and software.

I am going to start as a home based part time job.

I need help to figure it out, What sells the most ?

Thanks to all for your valuable help!!

:help:

threeputt

Your question is a bit confusing. Are you going to try and pre-cut designs then find a buyer for them? Or are you simply going to make whatever clients want?

JEngel

Just kidding. It's different for everyone. I would just speak to small business owners you are associated with and see what they need. Or cut those lame calvin stickers for swap meets.

geb

Your question is alittle vague.

What experience do you have and what are your strengths in the industry? I feel a good idea is to start with a niche market, something you feel comfortable in and are good at, something that may be needed in your area, and try to be the best in this market, where people will want to buy what you are selling or specializing in.

George

Sign_Boy

Hello Folks,

Finally I bought my plotter and software.

I am going to start as a home based part time job.

I need help to figure it out, What sells the most ?

Thanks to all for your valuable help!!

:help:

That would all depend on your client base.

Who do you plan to market to?
What type of area are you in?
Will you be doing installs?
Do you want to do vehicles?

Oh on a side note. Just because you work out of the house does not mean you have to charge out of the house prices.

I know you didn't ask for that info but I wanted to offer it up.

Welcome to a great place with great people.:thumb:

Newbie_on

That would all depend on your client base.

Who do you plan to market to?
What type of area are you in?
Will you be doing installs?
Do you want to do vehicles?

:thumb:

I live on a commercial area. My budget it is limited , I do not have a big bucket truck, big [SIZE=-1]ladder, drills and all the fancy equipment you have.

I was just looking to see where is the $ at:
I'd like to do Magnetics, Window lettering, CorePlast and Vehicle lettering.

I need to star selling stuff so I can invest the money on tools and materials.

Thanks for yuor comments.

[/SIZE]

thesignexpert

Newbie_on,

The issue of spending some time quality researching all of the aspects of your prospective new business before starting aside, I think most everyone here would agree that banners are typically a big seller for most small vinyl shops. Right behind that would be RTA (ready to apply) vinyl graphics and then probably magnetics.

Please take a bit of time to read through some of this info http://www.thesignexpert.com/TheSignExpert.com/How_to_Start_a_Sign_Business.html It should help you get a better handle on what you are getting into.

Also, consider investing some of your time and money in getting some critical books from some respected sign gurus like Mike Stevens http://www.thesignexpert.com/TheSignExpert.com/Sign_Business_Essential_Books.html and consider using some of the sign professionals here on the board to sub out work to.

Good Luck,

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

jiarby

go knock doors, stores need vinyl on windows!

edited to remove snippy remark

Last edited:

thmooch

A good starting place would be to join your local Home Builders Association. Those guys usually need Mags, Vehicle Lettering, Coro Signs, Site Signs etc.. Pick up GraphixCALC software(scroll down to bottom of page) to keep your pricing consistent & where you need to be. Also don't think that all you can provide customers are cut vinyl signs, there is $ to be made by subcontracting out what you can not do in house.

Velocity

You really need to find out what is in demand in your area. Surfer lingo and related images may not be as popular up in Chicago as they would be down here in Florida. If you have kids or access to kids hit them up for what might be popular.

Brainstorm about what other shops may not be offering in your area. Read a lot of forum fodder. Grow your customer service skills as it will speak for you when your competition is lacking.

Welcome and just have fun.

cajunsignguy

I think you answered your own question. Start with what you know and are good at and go from there. Nobody starts out with a big bucket truck and all the fancy equipment. You have to work your way up to these things. Also, this equipment would do you no good until you get proficient at using it. BABY STEPS Everything that everyone posted on this thread is sound advice, take it. Good Luck and Welcome

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi Newbie_On and welcome from PA…………….

For us, nothing sells the most. It’s more of what we want to push, set our sights and go for that. Seems we want everything so we push everything.

The easiest way to get started is to sell pens, mugs, T-shirts and other ‘Novelty’ type items to businesses and undercut the local shops that do it in-house and then try to beat the businesses selling these things online.

Once you get your foot in the door with these items, you could move up to magnetics and straight truck lettering, provided you have a place to do it or can go to their place of business to do the work. Nothing better than having the washer repairman bring his kid and dog along while he works on your clothes dryer. Haha…. only kidding :rolleyes:

Once you have that under your belt, try selling real estate signs to local brokers and once again undercut the online people and the other local shops with your prices. This sets the pace for going after free standing signs and large main signs for even bigger businesses.

By this time you’ll probably be out of the kitchen or bedroom and in the garage where you can cut this stuff and look for an empty corner to put a welder and do your electrical signs for malls and make raceways for large chains. This shouldn’t take long at all. I’ve seen some people do this in as little as two years and as many as…… well they didn’t get there yet.

Keep up the good questions and Good Luck…………​

Sign_Boy

I live on a commercial area. My budget it is limited , I do not have a big bucket truck, big [SIZE=-1]ladder, drills and all the fancy equipment you have.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I was just looking to see where is the $ at:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I'd like to do Magnetics, Window lettering, CorePlast and Vehicle lettering.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I need to star selling stuff so I can invest the money on tools and materials.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Thanks for yuor comments.[/SIZE]

As a few people have stated not may of us have started with the fancy equipment.
However this does not mean that you can't take those jobs on, bill it into the estimate.

Oh I have no fancy equipment LOL

That being said, seeing that you are in a commercial area I would think you would be able to sell
plenty of the following:
Banners
Site Signs
Magnetics
Window Lettering

I guess it all depends on what you push.

If I came across as an @$$ I apologize
Bad day at the DMV today:Big Laugh

Kevin T

Go bang on doors and get your name out there. If you're in a commercial area you should be able to get started. However if you're planning on trying to do it on weekends and in the evenings then it may take a while.

Good luck

Richard Flint

Hello and welcome to :signs101:
So ya bought a plotter and software and now ya ready to be a sign maker?

For anyone just starting out it's proberly best to work in a established full service sign shop. You can learn so much. But if you choose to go it alone, keep in mind - it truly takes years to master. I would suggest you first read and study all you can about good layout and design. Perhaps start off with a copy of Mike Stevens Mastering Layout.

Good Luck.