• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I charge?

dj_elite

I have a repeat customer of mine that does maintenance and body work for fleet companies. He recently just picked up a new contract and they asked him if he could do lettering. He said yes and contacted me. They are looking to do a bunch of these trucks and would like a flat rate for the installs on them. The back of the truck is 26' long. The flag that goes on the back is 89" x 69" and the problem I see is it ends up where the doors are and the bars that lock the doors closed. There are 3 doors on each truck, 1 on the drivers side and 2 on the passengers side. I have never installed someone elses decals before, so I was wondering what you guys would charge for something like this? I dont mind being on the high side as it looks like a PITA. Im thinking a day and a half with 3 guys. Any help is highly appreciated

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 123
  • truck 2.jpg
    truck 2.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 111
  • truck 3.jpg
    truck 3.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 116
  • truck 4.jpg
    truck 4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 100

Signed Out

drop the locking bars on the back door. Just be sure to work from the top down so they slide down as you go and will be resting on the floor by the time you take the last bracket off. An employee of mine did this once and worked from the bottom up, and I ended up with lump on my head. :Oops:

Circleville Signs

you should charge your hourly rate x however long it takes.

Give a rough estimate but make sure they know you are charging whatever it takes.

Also, you need to consider whether these things are coming to you prepped or whether you are prepping them.

Just for an idea of the marketplace, if this was fully prepped in advance, I could do the whole thing by myself in 1 day - with some time left over.

Last thing - flipping the flag backwards is a no-no...

dj_elite

Design and layout has nothing to do with me as far as the flag. Prep is being done prior too my install. How would you install a 89" x 69" graphic by yourself? This is my reasoning behind having 3 guys to install. I am coming up around $1300.00. Does this sound about right?

dj_elite

I forgot to add in I have to drive to there location to install these. So I will be out of my element in their shop and charge for my driving.

PFS

Interesting... I have seen this done on law enforcement patches on their uniforms.

The flags on that truck are both going in the wrong direction, but it's called "flag forward." The military does it too. An example would be when the flag is worn on the right shoulder (the right side is the place of highest honor) the blue star field would be to the front giving the image of the flag flying in the breeze as the person moves forward. You see on on airplanes too.

Pete

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is this cut vinyl?

I worked for a vehicle graphic place and we charged by the square foot, if there were doors and handles in the way, he added a percentage.

3 dudes and 1 1/2" days is a snails pace if that is one truck. One man should be able to do one in one day if they are a decent certified installer and the truck is prepped correctly.
On the flag, is it really 89" x 69" or is it panels? It still can be done by a single person but they would need some experience.

BobM

That truck would take me a full (very hard) day working alone. With that size graphic I would apply wet using Rapid Tac II. If the market will bear it work with a helper. I think you'll find that after doing a few trucks you and your helper will be able to do more that one a day.

visual800

If the graphics came to me and the truck was clean, I could install this by myself in 6 hours. I would charge about $600.00. it might be nice to have a helper on this but a crew of three is not necessary and IF there was 3 you guys should knock this out before lunch!

signswi

The flags on that truck are both going in the wrong direction, but it's called "flag forward." The military does it too. An example would be when the flag is worn on the right shoulder (the right side is the place of highest honor) the blue star field would be to the front giving the image of the flag flying in the breeze as the person moves forward. You see on on airplanes too.

Pete

Flag forward dates back to the days of sailing ships. A flag on a ship under sail looks like that as the wind is behind it, pushing it forward. We modern people think of the flag as going the other way from the wind created by the vehicle pushing through the air mass instead of being pushed by the air mass. The military is way too traditional to ever give up the old sailing style reference.

I've *also* heard it somehow is supposed to make it look like the military is "never retreating" but I'm not sure how the flipped version looks any more like retreat, but that's the military for you.

PFS

Flag forward dates back to the days of sailing ships. A flag on a ship under sail looks like that as the wind is behind it, pushing it forward. We modern people think of the flag as going the other way from the wind created by the vehicle pushing through the air mass instead of being pushed by the air mass. The military is way too traditional to ever give up the old sailing style reference.

I've *also* heard it somehow is supposed to make it look like the military is "never retreating" but I'm not sure how the flipped version looks any more like retreat, but that's the military for you.

I've heard that too about the "never retreating" thing. Interesting stuff. Love the history of things like that.