• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What size plotter?

OADesign

I have the opportunity to get a plotter for the Hobby Hut aka garage.
I'm doing some design work for a guy who repairs and maintains plotter and cnc machines. Deal is we are going to do an even trade. So cost is no option.

So What size to get? I grew up with a 30" and always wanted that extra few inches. Now here in the shop we run a 48" (but the owners refuse to buy any vinyl larger than 15-24". baffling huh?)

I want to go for the larger machine but i don't know if I really (really) need it and will a 30" do the trick. I will be doing mostly trucks, banners, decals,
windows, etc. But I often need full size cut patterns or install patterns. I would be nice to do them in one piece instead of multiples.

Any advice to sway me in either direction?

thanks!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i learned on a 15in Gerber Sprint.....when the new owners took over, i moved up to the HS15 (i think that's what it was)...last year we upgraded to the envision (still need the 15in cause we run an edge) and a 24in plotter......i love the 24in plotter for our 18x24s, banners, and single-color truck doors....the only downfall with the 24in is if you want your design for an 18x24 to go the full 24 or even leave a 1/4in space and use 23.5in you can't cut the whole pc with the 24in plotter...for that reason, i would have preferred the 30in plotter....overall, the 15in and 24in work well for us....we use our edge a lot and need the envision.....but the 24in helps when we need to bang out a quickie sign or banner

Columbia Signs

If I was to buy a entery level plotter again I would get a 30" just for the same reasons Fenris said. We started with a 24 and still used a 24 today, but there are time a 30" or 48" really come in handy.

Techman

24 is fine for about 98% of every thing you do,
There is very littel 30 material sold any more. You can get it,, but its harder to find,,

stickerguynyc

i think 24 is enough for sign i never done lettering bigger that 23 inches height.. but got 30 inches cutter now too extra inches come handdy... Just keep in mind what is the average size stuff you cutting the most since for 30 inches cutter the protection strip is more expensive. I hate changing my 30 inch protection strip since most of the time i use 15 inch vinyl and half of it is wormed out and the rest still brand new

The Dotted Line

The Dotted Line
30+

Get as much as you can! You can always run 15 or 24" on a larger machine, but you can't run larger stuff on a smaller machine. We also cut about 80% of our vinyl at 30" (we just tossed about 65 30" cardboard cores). We do run our patterns on either 36" or 48" paper, therefore rarely having to splice panels together. I always figured that having a 30" cutter (meaning you can only cut to about 28.5") allowed me to cut single color 2' x X' banners in one shot, even if I had a full bleed.

Good luck with whatever you get for the Hut! Enjoy!

James

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
There is very littel 30 material sold any more. You can get it,, but its harder to find,,

actually one of my local suppliers regularly stocks this material...just not avery (which they don't distribute anymore, and we rarely stock)...if they don't have a 24in roll of a color i need but have the 30, they cut the 30 at no charge, give me both pieces and only charge me the cost for the 24

OADesign

thanks for your input folks!

I've been offered a Gerber embosstrack 48" or a Graphtec 48. have not been down to his shop to see either nor get model numbers. I'm familiar with the Graphtec brand machines and I'm comfortable with them. but he's pushing this Gerber machine. I assume its an oldie because i cant fond any info on it. But he claims its a way better machine.
Any one know anything about this?

thanks!

S

Sign-Man Signs

24 is fine for about 98% of every thing you do,

What Tech said. That's all we have are 24's. Larger designs, we just tile cut.

Pro Image

Well we got a 24in a 30in and a 48in and Im looking for a good deal on another 30in.................

I use 30in most of the time but stock 15, 24, 30, and 48...........Not all in the same colors though........

GARY CULY

PRO IMAGE ..do you have any pics on your web of real work? or just the pasted on iimages on car templetes ? i looked through there but see no real work youve done?just like to what "level" your on ..you post on here a lot so i figure your a pro

Pro Image

PRO IMAGE ..do you have any pics on your web of real work? or just the pasted on iimages on car templetes ? i looked through there but see no real work youve done?just like to what "level" your on ..you post on here a lot so i figure your a pro

I had a guy work that up for me a few years ago and I haven't had the chance to up date it.........I get a few orders from the tuner car owners and such..........But no I don't have any "REAL WORK" as you put it up............

I guess you can call me a "PRO" I've been at this for 11 years and still going................

As for the level...........Hell I don't know, What level are you on............?:help:

Service Sign Co

Just put the seams in the less obvious places, I would rather not panel too, but some folks seem to think it's a sin. Unless you are doing back lit signs you don't notice them. If it's not my money I'd say 48''