Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What temperatures are recommended when applying decals?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by VicoDrive, Jan 31, 2014.

1. VicoDrive

VicoDrive Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Richmond
    Im about to decal up our delivery van. Its been a little on the colder side and I hear you shouldnt if its too cold. So what is too cold? Or does it not really matter?

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    It matters. I've always understood it to be 45f or above. We do all our vehicles inside. I've pushed it applying outside graphics, but always let the customer know it may not work/last.

3. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    The book says minimum application temperature is +46°F

4. VicoDrive

VicoDrive Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Richmond
    the forecast for the next 3 days is highs of 47, 56, and 59 with lows of 26, 39, and 35. Unfortunately we dont have an indoors place to do it. Was hoping to have it done to surprise the boss when he gets back in town next week

5. VicoDrive

VicoDrive Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Richmond
    Is it really a problem if it gets really cold the next day or so after decals are applied?

6. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Not after the adhesive starts to bond. A little help with a torch or heat gun ought to do the trick.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    If it's a vehicle use a heat gun or hair dyer before & after to help the bond.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    they are just stickers, I don't not see why being cold matters.

9. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Yeah if you had to wait for warm temperatures in Winterpeg, you would only be able to install 3 weeks of the year! lol

10. JgS

JgS Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Houston
    If you were wrapping a car for a customer I would say find somewhere inside above 55. But for a sticker with highs in the 40s. Just park it in the sun wait for the warmest part of the day. spray the decal with some rapid-tac, you'll be fine.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Are you wrapping or applying die-cut vinyl ??

12. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    recently had to do a couple of trucks for a customer, they had to be done to get to a new location. couldn't wait and couldn't do them inside. temps varied from 29-33 degrees. had a couple of issues getting the vinyl to stick on the steel boom of the trucks but hit it with the torch and it was ok. i think the worst part was me having to be out side (layers...layers...layers). told the customer there could be issues but they insisted and it's been a few weeks and haven't heard any complaints ...yet? just my opinion but i think if you can get it to stick it should be ok for cut vinyl but wrapping totally different story.

13. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    just did some windows at local dealership friday p.m., temp in 30s, royal pain.

* 2' letters. as p.m. progressed, vinyl got harder to work with, cold.. brittle.

* surprised it stuck as well as it did.... *it was 28 degrees when i finished..

14. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Rapid Tac also has cold weather solution

15. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Check the Rapid Tac web site. They show videos of how to apply in very cold weather. I have followed their instructions and successfully installed vinyl at 20 degrees. Takes a little extra time and you freeze your butt off, but it can be done.