• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What temperatures are recommended when applying decals?

VicoDrive

Im about to decal up our delivery van. Its been a little on the colder side and I hear you shouldnt if its too cold. So what is too cold? Or does it not really matter?

Billct2

It matters. I've always understood it to be 45f or above. We do all our vehicles inside. I've pushed it applying outside graphics, but always let the customer know it may not work/last.

VicoDrive

the forecast for the next 3 days is highs of 47, 56, and 59 with lows of 26, 39, and 35. Unfortunately we dont have an indoors place to do it. Was hoping to have it done to surprise the boss when he gets back in town next week

CanuckSigns

I've done this in a pinch, because we all know we can't always work in ideal conditions. Preheat until body panels are warm to the touch and post heat and go over each decals with a glove, squeegee, etc.

Of course if these are window graphics there's not much you can do. (unless it's a rear windshield with defrost)

Yeah if you had to wait for warm temperatures in Winterpeg, you would only be able to install 3 weeks of the year! lol

JgS

If you were wrapping a car for a customer I would say find somewhere inside above 55. But for a sticker with highs in the 40s. Just park it in the sun wait for the warmest part of the day. spray the decal with some rapid-tac, you'll be fine.

petepaz

recently had to do a couple of trucks for a customer, they had to be done to get to a new location. couldn't wait and couldn't do them inside. temps varied from 29-33 degrees. had a couple of issues getting the vinyl to stick on the steel boom of the trucks but hit it with the torch and it was ok. i think the worst part was me having to be out side (layers...layers...layers). told the customer there could be issues but they insisted and it's been a few weeks and haven't heard any complaints ...yet? just my opinion but i think if you can get it to stick it should be ok for cut vinyl but wrapping totally different story.

petrosgraphics

just did some windows at local dealership friday p.m., temp in 30s, royal pain.

* 2' letters. as p.m. progressed, vinyl got harder to work with, cold.. brittle.

* surprised it stuck as well as it did.... *it was 28 degrees when i finished..

BobM

Check the Rapid Tac web site. They show videos of how to apply in very cold weather. I have followed their instructions and successfully installed vinyl at 20 degrees. Takes a little extra time and you freeze your butt off, but it can be done.