• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions what thickness acrylic to use?

petepaz

so i have these 1/2" cut out and painted acrlyic letters/logo i have to mount to a clear flat acrylic panel and add a base. i am figuring like 1/4" for the backer and 1/2" for the but not sure if that will be strong enough to hold. anyone think it needs to be thicker? also i was thinking of just making the backer longer and having it bent/formed "L" so it will stand on it's own.
anyone ever done anything like this or have suggestions?

Attachments

• stride rite cut acrylic.pdf
    231.1 KB · Views: 176

MikePro

1/4" should be plenty for that scale. a 3ft. square piece barely flexes, but my only concern would it be face-heavy and tip easily as a freestanding @ 90degrees.

petepaz

no it's 1/2" lettering and i didn't specify the backer or base because i wasn't sure what i was going to use. the drawing is just the concept to show them what we were creating
so maybe i should route the base at slight angle to help prevent tipping

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could you just heat bend a 92º base and have it go back til it doesn't fall ?? Then, flame all the edges.

petepaz

Could you just heat bend a 92º base and have it go back til it doesn't fall ?? Then, flame all the edges.
we have a guy who can bend or form acrylic for us. that was also in the options but figured i would get some feedback on what you folks thought was the better way to go.
thanks

2B

The top-heavy tipping is a factor,
can you add adhesive to the base or holes through the base for physical fasteners?
What surface is this going on?
Short term or long term?
Are they looking to move/travel once made?

petepaz

The top-heavy tipping is a factor,
can you add adhesive to the base or holes through the base for physical fasteners?
What surface is this going on?
Short term or long term?
Are they looking to move/travel once made?
long term and it's a display in a showroom so not sure it can be fastened but i may have to tell them that needs to be done for safety purposes (also so it doesn't break)

Billct2

I'd use 1/4" backer and a piece of the same 1/2" as the letters for the bottom and rout a channel to glue it in.
Make the base wide enough to be stable and you can add a few pieces of mounting tape if need to hold it to the counter

Johnny Best

Even with a 1/4" back and 1/2" cut out logo, that piece will be heavy. Your looking at almost 9 sq'.
I would go with 3/8"" back with a 3/4" or 1" base, Dado a slot in the base and glue in panel. (base should be 7" wide at minimum to hold that weight from tipping)
Do not flame edges, polish them so you won't have any haze cracks on the face.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've been thinking..... I think ya better give this to the codes department and have their engineers figure this out. You don't want it to fall and hit some kid on the head maiming them for life. :rolleyes:

petepaz

I've been thinking..... I think ya better give this to the codes department and have their engineers figure this out. You don't want it to fall and hit some kid on the head maiming them for life. :rolleyes:
yeah that would suck. it does go on a shelf i will tell them it needs to be anchored to the shelf and we can put hole for bolts of some kind

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was only sh!ttin' ya. If it's going on a shelf, I doubt they're gonna wanna have bolts and nuts showing with such a nice piece of work.

petepaz

well got this finished. 1/2" thick lettering, 1/4" backer and 1" base. routed a channel and glued it then added triangle supports to help stabilize it (i hope)

Attachments

• cut acrylic -4.jpg
    cut acrylic -4.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 114
  • cut acrylic-3.jpg
    cut acrylic-3.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 120
  • cut acrylic-2.jpg
    cut acrylic-2.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 123
  • cut acrylic-1.jpg
    cut acrylic-1.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 115
  • cut acrylic.jpg
    cut acrylic.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 115

petepaz

thanks. had a courier deliver it to NYC today haven't heard anything so i guess either they didn't open it yet or they successfully got it on the shelf..haha