• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to buy?

mmorse

Here are pics of the fading. The ink also wipes off with a paper towel. :omg2:

Attachments

• Sign fading 009.jpg
    Sign fading 009.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 114
  • Sign fading 003.jpg
    Sign fading 003.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Sign fading 010.jpg
    Sign fading 010.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 107

mmorse

The problem with getting a new machine is that say in 9 months we begin getting more returned signs, our problem isn't fixed. We begin laminating again? We're out of pocket even more than we are now, which is a LOT.
We bought the Ion eliminate that cost in labor and material.

LarryB

Let me chime in here as I also own an Ion. I have experienced the same issues as mmorse and can verify the issues with fading after 6-9 months. For temporary signs it is great but I would not use it for anything longer than 6 months.

Here is information from Gerber's website
"Product life and outdoor durability: GerberCAT inks have a three-year, outdoor-durable lifespan without lamination. (With the exception of vehicle graphics; also recommended for lamination.)

I do not know how they can claim 3 years lifespan.

gnemmas

Would more Gerber Ion users please chime in with their experience. This might encourage Gerber to stand up to address your issues with their printer as here are thousands of potential customers for printers.

Mmorse, I feel your pain. Can you imagine the damage to your shop's credibility?

It is worse than Colorspan issues.

mmorse

Our credibility here is definitely a major concern. With the sign market the way it is and being in a town with several other competitors we can't afford this.
Luckily our customers have been very understanding and given us the opportunity to make it right. We are using our Mimaki to replace all the bad signage out there.

Donny7833

I'll chime in.

I've had my ION for a year now. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. Too many issues to list. At this point I don't want a new one, I want this one gone.

I'll add that Gerber Tech has been johnny on the spot, if there's an issue, the techs are quick to show up and work on the machine. So, kudos that they are attempting to get things taken care of quickly. Problem is, they're always here.

I'll leave it at that.

mmorse

FYI on the laminate be a protectant for the Ion ink

Well it appears as though laminate is not Gerbers solution to the ink fading issue.

We put up a sign less than a month ago that was laminated. It was printed on the Ion on Duraply. We went back this weekend to take pictures of it, cause it was a nice looking sign, only to discover that the laminate was peeling off the duraply in the top right hand corner, AND taking the ink with it.

Attachments

• Laminate peeling 005.jpg
    Laminate peeling 005.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 119

eureman

Stay away from the Rastek (EFI) machines. I purchased a H700UV and have had nothing but problems. I'm now heading up a a small group of owners that are like me completely dissatisfied.

Dice

We are in the market for a flatbed as well, and I'm totally perplexed as to what to get.

Looks like lots are having issues with the Rastek and the Ions, the question is who has a good flatbed?

Anyone have the OCE Arizona? We are eyeing it but it's expensive! Anyone have a flatbed that they would recommend or are they all horrible?

klmiller611

We bought the AGFA Mv one year ago and it is generally an excellent machine. We had some adhesion issues on the trim edges with coro (heavy ink coverage), but that that has been resolved with a better brand of coro, and running the lamps on full power. It is about 15-20 minutes for a 4 pass, 48x96 board, reasonably fast. The service has been absolutely excellent! I'd be glad to answer questions or more detailed comments for anyone.

Ken Miller

BlueSpot

We bought the AGFA Mv one year ago and it is generally an excellent machine. We had some adhesion issues on the trim edges with coro (heavy ink coverage), but that that has been resolved with a better brand of coro, and running the lamps on full power. It is about 15-20 minutes for a 4 pass, 48x96 board, reasonably fast. The service has been absolutely excellent! I'd be glad to answer questions or more detailed comments for anyone.

Ken Miller

Hi there!

We are looking for a flatbed, and our equipment seller only have Gerber Solara UV2 and Motoh Cobra S100UV. How is it to print this on roll for wraping ect.? and how is it for banners?

Steve_

I would like to offer my assistance to all looking for UV flatbed/hybrid printers. I have had first hand experience with most of the models listed on this thread. Some of them as a factory trained technician.

I currently am a sales rep for a leading national distribitor. My company has allied itself strategically with the UV manufacturers who have proven to be the best all-around in their respective market. We are also one of the few national dealers who have earned and continue to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.

Based on the applications that have been listed here (mostly general signmaking), I would say that the AGFA Anaupurna M series has a great balance between intital investment, quality, and versatilty. For those who might need a more production oriented machine, Vutek would be a great choice. There are other good choices (and some bad ones for sure) available as well. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss the merrits of and specific differences between the options available and which option could potentially make you the most $$ with the least amount of headaches.

Steve

signstop1

My experience with our Ion is the same as Donny's. Terrible reliability. Endless problems. When it prints, I really like it, but once out of warranty it will break us in terms of maintenance.

seaserpent

Our experience with Gerber Ion is opposite of others. There have been some break-downs in the 8 months this printer has been printing all day long. When the break-downs have occurred Gerber techs have been very prompt at fixing this machine that is under warranty. They've proactively replaced parts that Gerber has determined will fail in the future. Gerber's support and my dealer support has been second to none. The prints are perfect and lasted in the elements extremely well so far. Others in this forum have complained about longevity of the prints after one year so I cannot speak to that as we have only 8 months experience. Matching the materials with the capabilities of the printer are rule number one. We've done that and are very pleased with the results. We have 18 months warranty. After that the warranty is 10% of purchase price per year and covers everything BUT the heads. That warranty isn't cheap, but is absolutely necessary in my opinion. Will I pay it? Yes, and continue to make money with this printer. And, if anything changes and starts to go bad I will definitely let you know.

The Equipment Guy

I have a few comments having sold most of the machines here.

The Gerber Ion as a slow machine...it is quite good with through put compared to others, not as much taping and fiddling to get a sign onto and off the machine. People who use flatbeds learn that the print time is not the only "speed factor" I have seen many who have found unique niches as far as getting the Ion ink to adhere to some very creative applications. Tech issues, yes the techs do not get to just walk away from this machine and I would budget in a service contract, but I would on any machine. I have not seen the fading issue myself.

The Agfa, nice machine, not true flatbed but this does not hold it back much. Nice quality, can't say much bad here, adhesion is second to the Ion but pretty good even on coro.

Oce/Fuji nicest machine of the bunch IF they could get adhesion issues sorted out. If you print lots of coroplast, think hard. Also it does take a bit more taping and covering of the unused vacuum holes which affects throughput.

HP950-Very close competitor to the Agfa. Nice machine, very high quality. I have not seen long term results yet or a lot of adhesion testing, my experience with this one is slim.

Mimaki- Very capable, diverse machine able to do things the others can't. Expect to be your own technician and very frustrated at times. I like what it does, just don't like how often it frustrates.

The others well...they can be priced right...

I think I might have a used Agfa available if you are interested. What RIP software are you currently using, the other consideration is that some may have a shorter learning curve as they might use software you are already accustomed to.

Craig

Signco Inc

General Manager
I have the agfa anapurna. I think its great. Some small issues but overall a good buy. I have heard nightmare stories about the ion we almost bought. Tech support is great for issues or just questions. Feel free to pm me for any questions about this machine. I looked at the oce their pitch was their speed but I could get 2 agfas for their cost.

promgr

Cet

I have been looking at the new CET flatbed and Router combination for 144,000 yopu can get a 4x8 flatbed with cmyk times 2 plus 2 white and two varnish heads and a router with I-cut I am going to atlanta at the end of this month to look at this printer and have them run my files I will let you all know how it works.

seaserpent

I've HEARD nightmare stories about the ion, but as an ion owner which operates 8+ hours a day, I haven't any nightmares. Some issues here and there, but quickly repaired by Gerber's excellent service. Researching other flatbed UV printers have come to conclusion that all of them have issues here and there. With new smaller picoliter drops future machines will be capable of faster printer. I would purchase another Gerber Ion.

benjakes

CET Flatbed

I saw it at ISA, and just went to Atlanta for a demo.

I am close to putting a deposit down. Everything was perfect at demo, and we printed to my substrates that I has sent down.

Quality like Fuji/Oce, ink stuck very well, fantastic references from field placements, great price, nice people, solid service plan.

My question is does any one have any negative experience with these printers?

For 110k, I am not seeing the downside.