• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to do????

rockersigns

I installed pylon panals last week.... Installing channels tomorrow at 2..... Client says on the phone that he knows he choose color of vinyl for lettering but now that its installed its to "light".... wants darker green!
How should I handle this?
Charge over again for taking panals down, remove and replace green, install...
OR... Charge for new vinyl and some labor?
Already paid $6500 with $1000 more after channel install.
Any advise would rock!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'd charge for changes and explain to them that they signed off on the proofs. If you want to be the good guy you can give them "discount" to try to keep them happy.

Jillbeans

I would advise him that you can indeed change the color but there will be a fee involved. Just the mention of the fee may change his mind. I would not offer a discount.
Love....Jill

rockersigns

He know I will charge for it..... In call he says.. how much to change it? Wanted an answer on the spot.
I told him, lets get the channels up and we will figure it out.

visual800

I would install and see what he thinks once its up and explain a darker green wont pop like the lighter. I know there are some pretty cobalt blues out there but when they are lit at nite you cant read tjem

Z SIGNS

Do the job over and charge him what it cost to do it the first time.
Who's at fault here.
If he chose a color that does not work well because of contrast and you advised him that it would not work it's his problem.
If it cost $6500 for round 1 how could round 2 be any cheaper

Techman

all change orders are pay orders.
Charge him normal rates. Then give him some added value via some kind of really nice gift.

DigiPrinter

It sounds like he admits it's his fault on the color selection and therefore you shouldn't be obligated to come out of pocket for changes. However, what it cost the first time shouldn't be what it costs the second time unless you absolutely have to make new faces (even then it should be less cause you don't have the file set-up/design time).

Can the wrong color vinyl be changed out in the field? With the faces in the cabinet?

As far as perhaps offering some sort of discount, depends. I obviously wouldn't do anything at the break-even point, you need to make something. Whether or not you need to make full-boat is up to you. Is this a client that you feel could and would spread the word on your business? Is it a client that has high potential of opening new locations? Is this a client that you just want to help out cause you know these things can happen?

Bottom line, if you go in full price your not wrong and if you go in with a discount but making something your still not wrong.....if you go in losing money you messed up :wink:

rockersigns

OK.. So did the channel install today.
Wants a total redesign on the panels that he signed off on! I told him full price, minus the new panels which he just paid for!. Basically a new job.
Just remove all vinyl from 2 4x6 panels.. re install new vinyl..
Also wants lime tree green vinyl replaced on 12 foot pill that was installed today to match panels!
Its an asian market, so hes already looking at 2 new locals as soon as this one opens.
Dudes from New Jersey just coming to town to open stores... Have family run them and split back to Jersey.
Thanks for all the advise! You guys rock!!