• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to learn before opening my own shop?

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Once again, Old Paint ruined another thread trying to convince himself he is relevant.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Now back on topic. You will find outsourcing all prints is the best way to survive. Unless you ship many orders, the shipping cost alone is worth outsourcing the prints. Some companies ship overnight at a cost to you of $8, where if you'd ship it on your own, could cost $40.

OldPaint

DUH............you can read)))) the tire cover is on the spare inside the trunk of this car.........and YES I PAINTED the showcard A- frame in front of it.

Attachments

• 55chevsm.jpg
    55chevsm.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 122

LEGEND

At 29, you are showing signs (no pun) of having a good head on your shoulders. You've been around and connected for almost 10 years, so perhaps, much of what you need to know, has rubbed off on you. You're planning almost 18 months out. That's a good goal

As mentioned, a good business plan is important, but don't make one that is doomed for failure. Keep it realistic. Also, as mentioned, there are so many toys available, once you have a target audience and you test the waters by subbing out, then look into equipment. After a year or so, you can probably look for a retail space based on your customer base at the moment. If you're gonna just sell on-line crap from your bedroom, just stay where you are, otherwise, the world is completely open for you. What most are complaining about is the economy is not very good right now. Many shops are closing down, due to bad business practices and poorly picked customers. Ours is down maybe 150 to 200k this year. It's affected some things, but usually we can withstand this. It happens every 10 years or so. Kinda like cleaning house of old customers and cultivated some new ones. If you have a good business plan, honest business ethics, you'll do fine whenever you jump in.
:thumb:

This is definitely the type of answers I was hoping for.

A little more background on my end, i have experience with online/email marketing, social media, print media like magazines, newspapers and misc marketing materials, signs, web design, and of course graphic design. I feel I've always been an entrepreneur at heart and just need to take that leap, but want to make sure I get as much information from those who have opened and successfully ran a business.
So thanks a ton for your input, Gino!

LEGEND

If I was to start over at this point I would focus on high end dimensional signs, including installation. Seems to be the one area (along with the big boys doing electric work) that can't be done by hacks or rolled in a tube and shipped.

Where I'm currently at, we do channel letters, monument signs, cabinet signs, etc. The downside to that is that it takes time to produce everything inhouse (good money though) but it backs all the other "little" jobs. Not to mention it's a lot more investment when it comes to routers, sheers, etc. Only way I would dive into it would be if I was able to get decent equipment from a shop that was closing down for a steal.

oksigns

This is definitely the type of answers I was hoping for.

A little more background on my end, i have experience with online/email marketing, social media, print media like magazines, newspapers and misc marketing materials, signs, web design, and of course graphic design. I feel I've always been an entrepreneur at heart and just need to take that leap, but want to make sure I get as much information from those who have opened and successfully ran a business.
So thanks a ton for your input, Gino!

Your preplanning will be very important as others have said! The thing about most existing marketing companies is that they have an extremely loyal customer base. It could be hard for you to compete because you don't have that same "foot traffic"; however, those skills and experience in marketing material is going to help with cross selling and maintain your own customer base. I would pay attention to what is lacking in your area and capitalize on that.

Sub out work when you can and only only only invest in equipment you will use every single day.

LEGEND

Once again, Old Paint ruined another thread trying to convince himself he is relevant.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Now back on topic. You will find outsourcing all prints is the best way to survive. Unless you ship many orders, the shipping cost alone is worth outsourcing the prints. Some companies ship overnight at a cost to you of $8, where if you'd ship it on your own, could cost $40.

Here at the shop I'm currently at, we outsource when we can't or it's not efficient to produce it in-house. For example, banners taller than 6', 100+ coro signs, business cards, that sort of thing through 4over or other local sign shops that don't work directly with customers. So definitely that would be something I'd do the same.

LEGEND

i guess you know as much about "classic cars" as you do about the sign business.........i been in a few car clubs in my 70 years....and i have put a lot of PAINT on "classic cars"........with a spray gun and a brush...........its well known that people with classic cars DONT PUT WRAPS ON THEM........ cause if they intend on putting the vehicle in.."juried" SHOWS... if the car is pre-late 60's(66 or older) IT CANT HAVE VINYL ON IT........ and if it does....the judges DEDUCT POINTS for it.....................because its "not period correct." this is a tire cover i painted for a show car...couldnt be VINYL for a 55 chevy

To be honest with you, the styles change through the years, and of course a classic is a classic... but the younger crowd always switches things up whether the old heads like it or not, i've seen multiple classic vehicles wrapped. From a 68 Mustang wrapped all black with carbon fiber hood we did to a fake printed patina C10 done by PDX Wraps (below).... There's a market for a ton of things out there, i could care less if i like it or not, as long as someone pays me to have it done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pic-1.jpg
    pic-1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 132
  • img_0403.jpg
    img_0403.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 153
  • img_0465-feat.jpg
    img_0465-feat.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 129
  • img_0458.jpg
    img_0458.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 140

LEGEND

Your preplanning will be very important as others have said! The thing about most existing marketing companies is that they have an extremely loyal customer base. It could be hard for you to compete because you don't have that same "foot traffic"; however, those skills and experience in marketing material is going to help with cross selling and maintain your own customer base. I would pay attention to what is lacking in your area and capitalize on that.

Sub out work when you can and only only only invest in equipment you will use every single day.

Definitely agree with that last statement.

Initially, i'll take any work that comes in but in the first year up an running my plan is to grab those companies that will keep me afloat with reorders and try to grow those loyal customers like you mentioned. Thanks!

OldPaint

and these are few and far between and are usually not the best "classics" more toward "rat rod" crowd. show me a wrap.........that goes thru BARRET JACKSON..........for $50k and up))))))real paint and shiny chrome........will get ya the big bucks.....

LEGEND

and these are few and far between and are usually not the best "classics" more toward "rat rod" crowd. show me a wrap.........that goes thru BARRET JACKSON..........for $50k and up))))))real paint and shiny chrome........will get ya the big bucks.....

Not saying it's a thing that everyone is doing right now, but it MIGHT be in the future... who knows.

This real patina'd C10 truck sold for, i think, $35K at Barrett-Jackson earlier this year... when just a few years back there would be no way in hell a rusty truck would even get a chance to roll through Barrett-Jackson, so my point is things change...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 181054_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    181054_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 181054_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    181054_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 181054_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    181054_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 127

LEGEND

Rust is not supposed to shine like gloss paint. A matte lam would have been a better fit.

One thing i also noticed right away, there are some people that are adding a layer of clear coat to preserved the patina on the old cars/trucks though... but again, i agree that matte laminate would have been a better choice

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I saw this a while back....

Attachments

• 11039094_936096813116682_8946585512703557105_n-650x431.jpg
    11039094_936096813116682_8946585512703557105_n-650x431.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 94

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
How many times have we said a person interested in doing this should get trained on the job?
2 years in a full service shop can be quite a bit of training for the right person.

I agree with a lot of what is being said about being careful what to buy, saving cash, requiring yourself to being profitable.

The thing I really try to stress to people - designers especially is: are you really good at it? Don't ask friends and family... of you'll end up on American Idol getting laughed at because they all said you are great. Digital print is not that hard once you got the hang of it... in time you might be too busy to design. Is that what you want?

Being in California, you really can't do much more than promotional stuff or sign fab and install under 500 bucks or you would need a contractors license. You are kinda close to having enough experience to get a contractors license if you are managing jobs. Maybe you can't afford the tools, but a contractors license - or at least qualifying for one - is a good strategic move. I just design signs, wayfinding systems and branding. Maybe you can be a hybrid of design and some print/install services.

You have some stiff competition where you are at. Maybe not in town, but close enough where getting your foot in the door might make it harder to get clients that could keep you busy to make a decent go of it. Study your competition well. Prepare your marketing to go after company with larger fleets. Get a list of local installers in case you have too much work.