• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What tool do you recommend to contour cut Gatorfoam or/and PVC sheets?

Tony Rome

Well, just when I though tI had it figured out.
Anyway, I am narrowing it down between the
Hand Router/Table
and
Scroll Saw

If we leave price out of it for these 2
what is the best for cutting
PVC
50 of the same semi detailed pattern starting w/ a 15x15 pc
Cutting it into a football helmet shape.

Thanks!!!!!

visualeyez

Buy a good router and template bit and mount to a table you have. Get a master template laser cut, and go to town. We use tape called "semi-permanent" and I can get 50 uses out of the stuff, two or three strips on the master...

Keith Rae

Both use the scroll saw to cut the first one on a piece of mdf for a template, then use the router with the template to cut the rest. The router is so much faster. Shop for tools at your local pawn shop you can probably get both for the price of one. Be picky plug them in and try them out ask for a short guarantee so you can make sure they work properly. and offer a little less than there asking.

CentralSigns

Really if you are considering a scroll saw a s I had suggested make sure it is a variable speed one. The dial variable speed ones can leave you with hundreds of material cutting options. Wood cuts at a slower speed than metal. Plastic if cut too fast tries to reseals itself. Another similar built tool is a beaver saw. Some can have reaches as far a 5-7 feet. In the 80's these types of saws made craftsman small fortunes, in the cutting of styrene letters for business and layered signage. The development of router technology took over from these machines and a better letter was developed in a quicker time. Of course like anything CNC technology has really taken over from the router.

Sorry for the ramble. To cut it short from here, Scroll saws are slow and you need to practice lots to get straight lines and no sanding. As the others said better technology does exist. But price wise it is a affordable toy.

John L

In your budget, I would recommend you first find a narrow kerf (skinny) Jigsaw blade that cuts on the DOWN stroke. Then find a jig saw to go with it. Home centers around here carry these right on the shelf. Bosche makes one type of blade (but I personally dont care for their corded electric tools, so I would keep looking).

No issues in foam or exp pvc but when using a downcut blade in more dense materials hold steady presure down as you follow along your line to avoid the tool bouncing up and down. Cutting on the downstroke, it won't lift your printed vinyl at the edge. Since their are a vast variety of blades available for jig saws, this may be more versatile to you than a scroll saw, just to start out anyway.

Good luck Grasshopper.