• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What type of customer File is Best to ask for?

reQ

PDF would be most common i would say, but we also send/receive eps, ai, psd files when we work direct with other designers.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'd say it depends on what you're doing with the file.
PDF is often the easiest, but I've seen some things (shadows, gradients, sometimes even fonts) get lost because the file wasn't prepped correctly. (Yes, that can happen with any file.)
For anything requiring a machine cut (channel or other letters cut via a router, vinyl, etc.), a vector file is a must. Since EPS usually has the best success rate, that's what I ask for. AI will work, too. In my experience, stay away from CMX, because they're choppy as all get out, using CDR requires saving to an older format, and DXF files usually come through either in segments that have to be welded or choppy themselves in the curves.
For printing, raster files are fine- as long as they have sufficient resolution. I usually ask for PSD files for this, because our Flexi (whatever the most recent release is) has a weird habit of crashing on certain TIFF files. PDF can be good for printing, too- but we have Photoshop, so I can convert to a PSD should anything go "wrong" when Flexi imports it.

mrugen

Best file format for Flexi when customer supplies

EPS is safe, as is PDF. Keep in mind that as others have mentioned,. there may be effects that may not be available in Flexi that could appear odd when importing. Also keep in mind the Flexi compatibility as far as versions. Check the appendix of the help file for current compatibility of acceptable import formats with your version.

For this topic and many others, check out our online video learning center at http://givemehelp.pivotshare.com

We're putting the graphics community upside down! Let's see what shakes out!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are many formats which will work, so regardless of which one you decide on for your main go-to, keep in mind, not everyone will be able to provide it.

So, in addition to a work file, make sure they send you a hard copy completely approved. Therefore, when your software interprets something odd or wrong, you don't start placing blame too early. If that's too much trouble for you.... or for them, it's not worth taking the risk. Again, this depends if it's an 18" x 24" directional sign or some ads for banner ups you need to make.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
EPS is safe, as is PDF. Keep in mind that as others have mentioned,. there may be effects that may not be available in Flexi that could appear odd when importing. Also keep in mind the Flexi compatibility as far as versions. Check the appendix of the help file for current compatibility of acceptable import formats with your version.

For this topic and many others, check out our online video learning center at http://givemehelp.pivotshare.com

We're putting the graphics community upside down! Let's see what shakes out!

Nothing to do with your post, but that avatar is creeping me out. I first thought you grew a goatee.

Asuma01

Keep in mind that eps files can not have a color profile embedded in them. Which can cause a color shift if your workflow isnt set up properly. Example being they designed using Adobe1998 but maybe your workflow is set up for sRGB.
Files like a pdf, tif, psd are better because it embeds the color profile in the file.

Everyone has their workflow set up different so YMMV.