• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl to use for long-term outdoor sign (printed)

peavey123

Hi All,

Just want to start by saying I've done some searching and didn't find any answers.

So, my question is regarding printed vinyl for long-term outdoor applications. Our supplier told us to use 3M IJ180 for this purpose. To me, that seems like overkill. I thought it was only really used for vehicles and curved surfaces. What do you use?

We will be printing with HP L25500.

This job is a trade printing job for another shop, I don't know which way this sign will be facing etc. Just a general question.

tattoo.dan

Yeah, that is what I have used in the past when customers want "permanent" signs...I almost cry every time I put it on a flat panel, but they are all holding up well and that was the purpose...

Keith Jenicek

I'd use the 3M as well with laminate. If you have a large sign & a Big Squeegee, you'll thank yourself! Just recently applied 3 panels of vinyl to a 5'x10' aluminum sign in 45 minutes using the forementioned.

rjssigns

Just finished up yard signs and aluminum building ID signs with Oracal 3751RA/290G. The building ID panels are 17" 6061 discs that go up in the peak of the building. Those got edge sealed as well.

Client wanted the "forever" material. We delivered.

anotherdog

we have 180 as an option, but mostly use IJ35 with an oracal 210 lam.
I have signage out there in full sun still looking good after 7 years using this combo.

If you are mounting white background on white substrait, like an aluminum composite it is perfect, but if you are doing a heavy solid color with no frame, you may see a little shrinkage (white line) on the edges.

Depends on what permanent is...nothing lasts forever.