• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you charge to letter this trailer?

CL Graphics

When you go to remove that 651 after 3-4 years is when your gonna see the effects. Another local sign shop uses it for everything. When we do removals on that crap it takes twice as long and occasionally takes the paint off with it. Lucky for us there not gonna be around much longer. BTW they are the local "lowballer" as you guys call it on here.

1leonchen

around a one thousand. i wold say 1100 and give him a discount if he frowns. minimum i would take 900, . but the economy is rough and a lot of competition.

B Snyder

NO the reason the industry is in the toilet as you say is because you can buy a cutter for less than a grand and vinyl for 20 bucks a roll.

You can buy inexpensive equipment and supplies but you aren't obligated to sell your work for a pittance. If 3M dropped off a free truck load of vinyl and laminate at my shop tomorrow and Roland gave me a free printer on Saturday my pricing would not be any different this Monday than last.

CL Graphics

i didnt say i would charge any different either but many would and do. Btw. Make sure you send that truck my way after it drops off your free printer. I'll take a mimaki tho.

B Snyder

Yeah that's ridiculous, exactly why this industry is in the toilet. Thankfully, there's no law that says I have to ask for prices like that.

NO the reason the industry is in the toilet as you say is because you can buy a cutter for less than a grand and vinyl for 20 bucks a roll.

You can buy inexpensive equipment and supplies but you aren't obligated to sell your work for a pittance. If 3M dropped off a free truck load of vinyl and laminate at my shop tomorrow and Roland gave me a free printer on Saturday my pricing would not be any different this Monday than last.

i didnt say i would charge any different either but many would and do. Btw. Make sure you send that truck my way after it drops off your free printer. I'll take a mimaki tho.

You missed the point. You told SignManiac that the reason the industry is in the toilet is because equipment and supplies are inexpensive and that is incorrect.

Malkin

An analogy would be: Guns don't kill people, people do.

Cheap materials & equipment is simply the enabling factor.

Techman

I would love to be able to charge like some of you guys but I will be looking for a new job if I did.

No,,

we can charge like that. All it takes is some business training. Some salesman and marketing skills. We all spend out time learning to make a perfect mdo paint out. But spend no time learning how to talk to a client.

skyhigh

if you said anywhere from 400-600, then you are an idiot.

and here we go again, pricing in the open forum.

SignManiac

Excuses and letting the competition set your companies pricing, will always be easier to make than facing your fear of rejection, and having the balls to demand what you need to charge and make a fair and reasonable profit.

Everyone is hell bent on learning how to cut out stickers, but most put sound business principles and pricing on the bottom of their list of priorities. Until this changes, you are going to be stuck selling commodities at bargain basement prices. This hurts you more than you realize and is really effing up the sign business..

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Unfortunately many jump into this trade and are clueless on what to charge for their work, They've never worked in a thriving sign shop and have no idea what signs are worth or their advertising value and tend to give it away leaving money on the table.

Some customers shop price only but many don't and will pay a premium price for quality design and material...

BadAss

Maybe everyone did not look at this job closely. As I scale it and see it marks out at about 60 sq. ft. of vinyl. Oracal 651. 3 color overlay total 60 feet. At $1500 that's $25 a sq. ft for die cut. If you get it awesome but as many have said here . You won't get that kind of price for the job in our area. Maybe some do and that's awesome. But I can't charge someone $25 a Sq. for die-cut. Hell we don't get that for wraps vinyl. But that's us. I know it is different depending on your area. Our maybe I looked at this job wrong. It is late and I am tired....

cdiesel

I'm coming up with about 128sf of total vinyl needed. You may be able to save a little by nesting, but for estimating purposes, we use the higher number.

We get $900 for a simple job like this all day. We're busy as can be.

I'd prefer to print & cut, just for ease of install.

BadAss

I'm sure Chris is right. And he is a bigger shop and gets better $ than we do.. So I would go with his estimate...

OldPaint

You're kidding, right? Why would I possibly want to cram everything right up to the edges? I already thought I'd gotten them a little bigger than I needed to.
its a ROLLING BILLBOARD..........use it!
the profoam, is ok, but the phone # is just to small for all the space ya got.
but i guess if you and the client like it that small so be it.

visual800

all vinyl in stock, order digital prints for the main copy...Id charge bout $850.00 in this crappy economy and be damn happy to get that if someone didnt beat that down