• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do?

Jillbeans

Your red is a different color. But the guy verbally approved the proof, and left happy, initially. Is only the red stripe on his truck hand painted? The lettering looks too perfect to be hand-rendered (box truck)

I would repeat to him that he approved the proof, and he left happy. Then I'd do nothing. He will more than likely b!tch about you for the next few years....but he probably b!tches about everything to everybody anyway. If he's so damn good at "lettering" why did he come to you in the first place?

Sounds like he's a litigious jerk. I hate dealing with them. Worst case...make the stripe on the box truck match your red, it would be easier. Next he will complain about your green being lighter, promise.
Love....Jill

jfiscus

Rap Master
Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
We all hate it, but it is a necessary evil if you're interested in covering your own *** today.
If the customer has an existing vehicle with similar graphics; it shouldn't matter if someone else printed the graphics or if it was stenciled on with spray paint - the discussion of matching the colors should be one of the first things brought up. AND it should be in writing on your proof that you either are or are not matching those colors, or the customer should approve a reduced scale test print of the colors prior to actual production. (just wait until you deal with someone like Pepsi with their specific reds/blues! :banghead:) So, you messed up not having them sign a physical proof approval or email approval.

Now, when your customers pick up their vehicles you should also have them inspect the graphics and compare them to the proof and approve the receipt of the graphics. This will double your CYA ratio.

Attachments

• Installer Checklist.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 941

skyhigh

I don't believe its fair to say his red is WEAK, when I have 50 shades of red in my PMS book. Its simply a DIFFERENT shade of red. Some may like the lighter red better.

On the other hand..... Man, you should have noticed the dark, rich red he had on his other truck.
Ohhhh yeah....the green too.

Ask him how many trucks he can drive to the same job site, where a customer can compare the two.

Attachments

• Red-logos.jpg
    Red-logos.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 95

Wraps ink

What I offered to do was replace the bottom portion of the wrap containing the red. and the red stripe will be an overlay. I also brought the other colors not matching to his attention but he said I don't care about those just the red. I don't think I should have to replace the whole wrap but my reputation is most important and as much as it pains me I will just fix it move on and refuse his work in the future. I know customers can be picky and most of mine are but when you threaten me with legal action him as a client is just too much of a risk for my business. I remember when he first walked in the door he said "you aren't gonna screw me over are you" from that point on I knew something was gonna come up. oh well live and learn and do whats ethically right to protect my business.

Wraps ink

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
We all hate it, but it is a necessary evil if you're interested in covering your own *** today.
If the customer has an existing vehicle with similar graphics; it shouldn't matter if someone else printed the graphics or if it was stenciled on with spray paint - the discussion of matching the colors should be one of the first things brought up. AND it should be in writing on your proof that you either are or are not matching those colors, or the customer should approve a reduced scale test print of the colors prior to actual production. (just wait until you deal with someone like Pepsi with their specific reds/blues! :banghead:) So, you messed up not having them sign a physical proof approval or email approval.

Now, when your customers pick up their vehicles you should also have them inspect the graphics and compare them to the proof and approve the receipt of the graphics. This will double your CYA ratio.

I deal with large companies all the time and they provide me with correct color PMS numbers or codes...It's not my job to guess what red he likes. He saw the red on the proof had no complaints end of story. but this guy is just looking for a discount...he then said "is this calendered vinyl?" he said I have a vinyl cutter and I cut my own letters and this feels like calendered. ( not sure how he can tell by feeling the wrap.) I know when I fix it he will find something else so I'm screwed either way. I will for sure make him sign everthing this time.

Jillbeans

If he would have said that to me initially, I would have raised my price to more than double.
It would either weed him out or make it worth my while to deal with him.
I would rather have a reputation of being "too expensive" when he bad-mouthed me around town than have to re-do something, that he said was OK, for free.
PS
I could smell him as owning his own cutter even before you just mentioned it.

jtinker

Owner
I would give him his money back and send him packing.
He sounds like one of those people that bully their way through life, if you break he will be a return customer and everytime he returns he will bring more of the same drama where he thinks he can roll over you to get what he wants. If he cant bring himself to respect you enough to not be a lying sack then hes not worth doing business with. Take it as a lesson and dip out asap. First rule of signs, assume nothing. Second rule of signs, get everything on paper.

Hicalibersigns

do whats ethically right to protect my business.

There you go. I worked for many years for a guy that always said, "Business is real simple. You sell it for more than you paid for it, more often than not." You don't win on every job.

player

Maybe when you have his truck, remove all your work. When he picks up his truck give him his money back and tell him you don't like being threatened. (Take tons of photos of his truck before and after removal.)

FatCat

I think most would agree you are in the "right". However you have a squeaky wheel that needs greased...

Your proposal of replacing just the red portions as overlays would probably be the best IMHO.
This way he gets what he wants, won't smear your reputation and you get to hold your head high knowing you did the right thing.

*FWIW - I don't understand the thought of refunding all his money and walking away. I'm not in business to work for free - but if "I" make a mistake then I damn sure fix it. If however, the issue is with the customer than I do what I can to salvage what I can so I don't lose my azz. :thumb:

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
wrap

stand your ground.
and you could just "fix the red on it"
make sure you put an edge sealer on it..

-Mosher

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you have a case on one hand, but on the other, you're playing with a potential problem.

To me, it appears you didn't give a true red. Like mentioned, some variation of red, but not red. Red being a basic and primary color is always red unless otherwise specified.... and you, didn't give him red. Therefore, he has every right to be upset and throw stoopid threats at you. It's not his fault he didn't notice it right away. To him, he probably thinks you are trying to pull one over on him. I'm sure his wife, friends and co-workers have said, wow, boss.... that ain't red, that's a redish or dark orange..... you better get your money back. So, he's following through.

You, on the other hand, are kinda hiding behind a weak excuse he didn't tell you which red. Well, it's not red, so he's right.

Now, here's where it gets touchy. He's accepted the vehicle as is, and paid you, and I'm sure the check said something about 'paid in full'. That alone is the final contract, regardless of having un-signed e-mails, conversations or anything else. You are in the right by the law. However, if he takes it to a judge, the judge could easily say..... if this is your version of red, the victim did not get what he contracted for. He could be color-blind or whatever, you did not deliver. Either replace it in full or pay to have it done by someone of the victim's choosing, since you can't do it according to your testimony.

You're in a sticky situation, unless you sweet talk this guy and he let's you cut & paste.

I would ask him for a small discussion with one or two of his people, one or two of yours and possibly his brother.... the lawyer. Explain to him, you of course wanna please him, let's put this behind us, I'll fix the colors and can we agree to still do business in the future or will this break up our relationship ?? No matter how he answers, you still need to do what he wants, cause I think you'll lose in a court of law. Now, if you don't want to continue a relationship with him, still fix it and never do work for him again. One bad customer like this can ruin a reputation in days or weeks according to how far he goes. Can you afford that ?? Weigh out where the real lose will occur.

Good Luck............

phototec

Red is RED, but not your red.

I'm with customer on this one, your red is WEAK!

I think you have a case on one hand, but on the other, you're playing with a potential problem.

To me, it appears you didn't give a true red. Like mentioned, some variation of red, but not red. Red being a basic and primary color is always red unless otherwise specified.... and you, didn't give him red. Therefore, he has every right to be upset and throw stoopid threats at you. It's not his fault he didn't notice it right away. To him, he probably thinks you are trying to pull one over on him. I'm sure his wife, friends and co-workers have said, wow, boss.... that ain't red, that's a redish or dark orange..... you better get your money back. So, he's following through.

You, on the other hand, are kinda hiding behind a weak excuse he didn't tell you which red. Well, it's not red, so he's right.

Now, here's where it gets touchy. He's accepted the vehicle as is, and paid you, and I'm sure the check said something about 'paid in full'. That alone is the final contract, regardless of having un-signed e-mails, conversations or anything else. You are in the right by the law. However, if he takes it to a judge, the judge could easily say..... if this is your version of red, the victim did not get what he contracted for. He could be color-blind or whatever, you did not deliver. Either replace it in full or pay to have it done by someone of the victim's choosing, since you can't do it according to your testimony.

You're in a sticky situation, unless you sweet talk this guy and he let's you cut & paste.

I would ask him for a small discussion with one or two of his people, one or two of yours and possibly his brother.... the lawyer. Explain to him, you of course wanna please him, let's put this behind us, I'll fix the colors and can we agree to still do business in the future or will this break up our relationship ?? No matter how he answers, you still need to do what he wants, cause I think you'll lose in a court of law. Now, if you don't want to continue a relationship with him, still fix it and never do work for him again. One bad customer like this can ruin a reputation in days or weeks according to how far he goes. Can you afford that ?? Weigh out where the real lose will occur.
Good Luck............

:goodpost:

There you go, Gino said it much better than me.

I stand by what I said and Gino made clearer, THERE IS ONLY ONE RED (Primary color).

Red-Orange, Red-Brown, Red-Pink, etc, are variations and NOT TRUE RED!

:smile: