• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Would You Do.

Mikeifg

Have a customer of mine I do alot of work for get me a bid for some trailer work 10 units. Long story short making no money on the production part just on the installation big mistake. The customer told me from the start I would be installing these at the factory and I agreed no problem installed graphics at that trailer factory years ago. Well now I go to get into contact with the factory about installing the graphics and I'm told they have only 1 bay dedicated to a large graphics manufacturer and that I need to send the graphics to them for the install. They don't let in other installers. Also happens to be the company I outbid on the job to begin with. To top it off my customer who is the middleman on this deal is upset with me like its my fault and he wishes:banghead: he had gone with the other company to begin with....I'm just frustrated and pissed that my customer would blame me for someone else's Policy.....

Mike

CanuckSigns

why did you price it so that you are not making anything on the production side of it? whenever I have done that in the past it ALWAYS comes back to bite me in the ass.

BobM

Dear pissed off customer:
I'm sorry that you are angry with me because your manufacturer sold out the install work to his buddy who charges more than me because he's paying a commission back to the manufacturer at your expense.
I hope you will call on me in the future.
Thank you,
Mikeifg

Letterbox Mike

Well, your customer has no right to be mad at you for the other company's install policy, but I think you're still screwed. You can't really say you won't do the job unless you can install them too. They're going to want you to produce the graphics only and hand them off for installation, and honor your price, and I don't see where you have any option. You could try to explain the situation and say that your graphics price was dependent on the installation but I doubt they'll care. That's a tough one.

Pat Whatley

Just tell him the quote you gave him was only valid on exactly what it was quoted on. This is a completely different deal now and will have to be requoted accordingly.

If you decide to print it and sell it at your cost like the original quote said you'll end up screwing up a couple of prints and losing money onthe deal.

Mikeifg

Good Advice from everyone. And I did screw myself by not charging for production time. The only time I've done that and the last. I've already started production material was paid up front so now I'm hosed.

Mike

ddarlak

Go Bills!
walk away.

do more homework next time and don't short yourself to the job. you only got it because you didn't charge enough in the first place....

Mikeifg

Did explain that part of the deal was for me to install them and yes nobody seems to care. The company my customer got these trailers for had offered to bring them to my shop but my customer is against it. He wat's them decaled beforethey leave the factory. My customer is the money man n this deal he fronted the money for these trailers to be built etc.....

Mikeifg

I'll finish it out. I'm probably just going to box up the graphics all 9000.00ers worth and let them figure it out.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what Pat said.

They changed the parameters, so the quote must reflect that, also.

CanuckSigns

sounds like your customer is a bit of a di©k, if the company is offering to let you install these at your shop you should be able to take them up on their offer.

if he asked you to quote including install at their facility, he is just as much to blame for not knowing about their policy of using a different install company as you are (maybe more so)

Mikeifg

Yeah your right Watson Signs. All I keep hearing from him is I got you this 12000 job. And I'm thinking no I'm only making 3000 off the install....What is he thinking.

Locals Find!

Good Advice from everyone. And I did screw myself by not charging for production time. The only time I've done that and the last. I've already started production material was paid up front so now I'm hosed.

Mike

You didn't screw yourself take the payment you received and apply it as credit for the new quote without the installation.

He changed the terms of the agreement not you so your not responsible to give it to him at the previously agreed upon price.

Sticky Signs

Yup, the deal has changed and so should your price. OR, I'd produce the graphics and that's it. No trimming, no masking or anything else that may be involved. Let the installers deal with it. YOu can call it "New company policy".

andy

Book an appointment with the OWNER of the manufacturing facility.

Explain that you doing the decals is a deal breaker... either provide usage of the graphics bay or keep 10 new trailers, your customer will make alternative arrangements with a rival manufacturer.

Someone, somewhere needs to call the manufacturers bluff... money speaks louder than anything else. If your customer REALLY wants you to work at the factory then he need's to man up, grow a pair of b0llocks and start telling people exactly how things are going to happen.

Marlene

is your quote in writing with the product and install and terms clearly stated? if so, that is your bid, not anything else. if you got a quote from someone to build you a shed and then you changed your mind and said it was a house that you wanted, no one in their right mind would honor the quote as you changed what was bid. same thing