• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's a wrap going for these days?

SolitaryT

Just opened up my own shop, and this is my first foray back into the pricing side of things in a few years. I was asked to quote a wrap for a 12-passenger Ford Transit. How weird are the lines on that thing? Looks like the flat would be a pro and the weird slanty lines would be a con. Anyway, I'm looking to bid, and I'm wondering what a ballpark would be for something like this, considering I'm the only full-time sign shop in a 100 mile radius and about 95 miles up a canyon from the closest city of any size. Thanks a bunch, guys.

TimToad

The lowballers here trying to grab as much of the market as they can seem to be on the low end of the previously quoted range. The customers must love the prices because the design part of what I regularly see on the streets from them is quite stereotypical and pretty ineffective. Lots of special effects, tons of excess text, too many photos, poor message prioritization, did I mention lots of effects, etc...

I live near their shop which has large picture windows and I frequently see the production guy in there late at night, on Sundays, etc. trying to get stuff done by himself. Of course, I NEVER see the owner in there after normal business hours, but I guess if you want to live and work that kind of lifestyle, you should give the work away, be mostly responsible for driving your entire market down, push the help hard and probably churn through production people pretty often.

Around here, our employee is never asked to do anything or work any hours we're not willing to work ourselves. We like doing wraps, but its not an industry segment we want to be known for, so we're in the middle to higher end on the pricing, but our work is effective and the loyal customers who bring every vehicle they buy here, swear by us.

From what I've personally witnessed working in three different parts of the country since wraps went vogue, this is one of the least valued industry segments by both its producers and its consumers. There are times when we're laughed out of a quoting phone call for daring to even quote in the neighborhood of $10 per square foot ( way too high! ) and insisting on seeing either photos, discussing design criteria and/or taking measurements for a rig before giving even solid estimates.

Bogie1of8

Ford Transit Wrap

Last month we did a couple of 2015 transits at $3,500 each. You said you were doing a passenger van so if there is Perforated window film involved it would obviously be more expensive. We in general are in the $8.00/sf $11.00/sf installed. A fleet of Semi Trailers with FRP sides and no rivets could get below that range and a VW bug would be over that range because of the time required with all the compound curves.
attachment.php

$3,500 is also the price to do a Caddy color change like this one on personal daily driver. took it from glossy black to satin pearl celio blu with carbon fiber accent and some embossing

attachment.php

Attachments

• United Spokane Transit (2).JPG
    United Spokane Transit (2).JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20150721_190826.jpg
    20150721_190826.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 234

TXFB.INS

Last month we did a couple of 2015 transits at $3,500 each. You said you were doing a passenger van so if there is Perforated window film involved it would obviously be more expensive. We in general are in the $8.00/sf $11.00/sf installed. A fleet of Semi Trailers with FRP sides and no rivets could get below that range and a VW bug would be over that range because of the time required with all the compound curves.
attachment.php

$3,500 is also the price to do a Caddy color change like this one on personal daily driver. took it from glossy black to satin pearl celio blu with carbon fiber accent and some embossing

attachment.php

very nice, really enjoy seeing clean lines and effective layouts to the vehicles

SolitaryT

Dude, that Caddy looks nice. Forgive my naivety, but how do you get that embossed look? Never seen that when it wasn't a cool printer trick.

phototec

Dude, that Caddy looks nice. Forgive my naivety, but how do you get that embossed look? Never seen that when it wasn't a cool printer trick.

I totally agree, looking REAL good. But what is the embossing? Never seen that before, his is that done? :thankyou:

Bogie1of8

We do a lot of wraps but mine always went to the bottom of the list because I'm not a paying customer (cobblers kids shoes). So some of the guys came in over the weekend last a couple of months ago and got it done. We used Avery Giovanni Edition Satin Pearl Cielo Blu with 3M carbon fiber and logo embossing we used 12mil motomark from General Formulations. The motomark laminate we mounted to Avery 1005 prior to plotting so when we remove it we won't be fighting the laminate adhesive. 12 mil might have been a little thick, but looks good.

Here's the vid:
<font color="#141823"><span style="font-family: helvetica">[video]http://video214.com/play/PThb4aDQDPBlJtiEKS2owQ/s/dark[/video]

Last edited:

TimToad

Very cool effect.

The carbon fiber is just enough to compliment without going overboard with it.

Sweet looking work all around.