• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's behind the vinyl?

Billct2

Craig's question are very appropriate, you need to know how the face is installed and how big it actually is (actual panel vs visible opening) before you replace it.

jwright350

heck, you might find out that the land lord of the building (or occupant/renter) doesn't even own that sign and thats its being rented from a sign company. that is real big in my town, you have to check to make sure you are working on a sign that isn't owned by someone else! Nothing is more awesome than quoting out a sign for a new renter just to have the landlord tell you he already has a sign shop that he requires his occupants to use!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just a question for you......

Why is this a photo of a sign much like the one you're doing or anticipating doing ??

You've got a lot to learn about doing this sign, but the last few posters have hit the nail on the head for you.
As with everyone's comeback.... you gotta start somewhere. well, that somewhere happens to be your approach to doing such a sign.

• Find out if you can do the sign as someone said, by getting permission... especially in a mall, plaza or business complex. I can't tell you how many of these customers we have, but the tenants are ALL required to get their signs through our shop.
  • If you can, get all the information about the proposed project from your proposed site, itself.
  • Seriously think about if you are mentally and physically capable of doing said project.
  • See if you are covered legally by insurance to conduct said project.
  • Obtain codes for local municipality for said project.
  • Quote the project based on all of your findings.

• Once you have these things lined up, then it might help you to ask your questions on various aspects of completing your project, but to have us all guess about everything is a total waste of time for everyone.

Not being mean or inconsiderate. Just being logical and honest. You gotta start somewhere, so start with gathering your facts and then putting a real game plan together instead of this turkey shoot you have going. You don't even have a clue as to what you doing. I would say you have stepped into something wa-a-a-ay over your head. :noway:

stoneandtle

Just a question for you......

Why is this a photo of a sign much like the one you're doing or anticipating doing ??

You've got a lot to learn about doing this sign, but the last few posters have hit the nail on the head for you.
As with everyone's comeback.... you gotta start somewhere. well, that somewhere happens to be your approach to doing such a sign.

• Find out if you can do the sign as someone said, by getting permission... especially in a mall, plaza or business complex. I can't tell you how many of these customers we have, but the tenants are ALL required to get their signs through our shop.
  • If you can, get all the information about the proposed project from your proposed site, itself.
  • Seriously think about if you are mentally and physically capable of doing said project.
  • See if you are covered legally by insurance to conduct said project.
  • Obtain codes for local municipality for said project.
  • Quote the project based on all of your findings.

• Once you have these things lined up, then it might help you to ask your questions on various aspects of completing your project, but to have us all guess about everything is a total waste of time for everyone.
Not being mean or inconsiderate. Just being logical and honest. You gotta start somewhere, so start with gathering your facts and then putting a real game plan together instead of this turkey shoot you have going. You don't even have a clue as to what you doing. I would say you have stepped into something wa-a-a-ay over your head. :noway:

Ok. Let me explain this a bit further - this isn't the sign that the occupant wants replaced, but it has the same characteristics as his sign - meaning, it's in a lit box attached directly above the entrance to his store. He doesn't want any new artwork - his is really faded and he just wants to replace it. The kicker is he'll replace it himself, he just wants me to print the material and place it on the lexan. He said he's pulled that lexan out numerous times to replace the bulbs, so he said just drop it off and he'll take care of the rest.

However, I needed to know what type of material is typically used for these types of signs in order to make it for him, and that's what led to these questions. So, I don't really see any liability on my part other than screwing up the print. Or am I mistaken?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Never reuse the panels unless you absolutely have to, you're not saving anyone money doing the PITA removal. I only reused one once on a custom vending machine face as my suppliers were outrageous to cut the custom hole in the middle.

Go measure the face thickness and slide it out 6" and get an exact measurement of the complete face, then measure how much hides in the channels top & bottom to allow for that much hidden on your print).

Depending on the print and your future thoughts on what type of backlit signs you may be dealing with either decide on white translucent vinyl for the print or clear vinly, as you'll be buying a roll of it to sit around your shop until next time... If you use clear vinyl use white substrate; white trans vinyl use clear substrate. I personally like white vinyl over clear polycarb.

Find out where to get clear acrylic or polycarbonate at the same thickness as the existing sign face. Depending on the size and your preference, you may be able to buy a 4x8, 5x10, or a roll of acrylic. You can cut acrylic panels with a fine-tooth table saw or have the plastics company pre-cut them for you (depends on costs & turn around time for me).

Either vinyl you use, you'll want to do 2 passes of ink over the vinyl. You may have to test your colors on a small piece, as if he wants the accurate colors at night during the day it'll be a bit more saturated (2 passes) than you see on your screen. If he wants it good during the day & washed out at night then use one pass; but I would not recommend that. Laminate the print & install it on the surface.

Have fun.

crewchief97

Never reuse the panels unless you absolutely have to, you're not saving anyone money doing the PITA removal. I only reused one once on a custom vending machine face as my suppliers were outrageous to cut the custom hole in the middle.

Go measure the face thickness and slide it out 6" and get an exact measurement of the complete face, then measure how much hides in the channels top & bottom to allow for that much hidden on your print).

Depending on the print and your future thoughts on what type of backlit signs you may be dealing with either decide on white translucent vinyl for the print or clear vinly, as you'll be buying a roll of it to sit around your shop until next time... If you use clear vinyl use white substrate; white trans vinyl use clear substrate. I personally like white vinyl over clear polycarb.

Find out where to get clear acrylic or polycarbonate at the same thickness as the existing sign face. Depending on the size and your preference, you may be able to buy a 4x8, 5x10, or a roll of acrylic. You can cut acrylic panels with a fine-tooth table saw or have the plastics company pre-cut them for you (depends on costs & turn around time for me).

Either vinyl you use, you'll want to do 2 passes of ink over the vinyl. You may have to test your colors on a small piece, as if he wants the accurate colors at night during the day it'll be a bit more saturated (2 passes) than you see on your screen. If he wants it good during the day & washed out at night then use one pass; but I would not recommend that. Laminate the print & install it on the surface.

Have fun.
Thanks for that info!!