• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's "straight" on a van?

paul luszcz

I've been lettering trucks for years and always found a line to use as "level" or positioned the letttering by eye so it looks level. I figure if it looks level, it is level.

I've also had many installers working for me over the years and their work always looked straight to me so I never questioned how they did it.

I have an install now that can only apply vinyl to anything if given accurate dimensions of where to put it. This works great for signs, windows and walls, for trucks, not so well.

He recently applied vinyl to a Ford van, following the designer's template exactly. The result however, is a lettering job that looks crooked. I've attached a photo so you can judge for yourselves.

The question is; Is there a line on a van or truck that can be used as a "level" line? Does it vary by vehicle? Or do you have to position the lettering by eye, as I've been doing.

Attachments

• drivers lr.jpg
    drivers lr.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 138

xxtoni

It's definitely not just you, on the photo it looks crooked.

As far as leveling goes, as pretty much every car is at least a bit different I'd find a line that looks leveled and then put the work on there, with either magnets or by taping it to the truck and then move away from the truck a bit to make sure that it looks leveled and proceed from there.

d fleming

Top line of van is curved. Middle body line is not. Measure baseline of text from body line and go. Never use the top body mold of a van for anything other than a tool holder.

Pat Whatley

Top line of van is curved. Middle body line is not. Measure baseline of text from body line and go. Never use the top body mold of a van for anything other than a tool holder.

What he said. The lettering in your picture is aligned with the curved rear roof on the van.

I have no idea how many stabilo pencils and x-acto knives I've lost by leaving them on that top body mold when finishing a lettering job but I'm gonna says it's gotta be close to 50.

2B

+1

once in place then stand back and correct by eye before sticking

cha88

yea on that van the body line that ends at the tail light and the body line just above it are square to eachother that would have been the centerline to operate off of...

a77

If you followed the line below, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else will look at it and say "hey, that's crooked!"... because the top text is relatively close to the roof line, people will see that.

I see stuff all the time that looks a bit off.. but the vehicles don't make it easy, so I sympathize with the installer, just made the best decision he/she could with the design given.

xxtoni

If you followed the line below, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else will look at it and say "hey, that's crooked!"... because the top text is relatively close to the roof line, people will see that.

I see stuff all the time that looks a bit off.. but the vehicles don't make it easy, so I sympathize with the installer, just made the best decision he/she could with the design given.

Not sure what to make of it. If it were my client they would probably remark that it's crooked but if it isn't one of the difficult ones they would probably let it be...but personally I'd have it re-done. Your work is an advertisement of you and if you let things like this slide it's just gonna give you a bad rep. Besides re-doing it wont' cost you a lot since it seems to be cut vinyl so no reason to screw it up for the client.

If it's a whole car wrap and you get something that isn't just right but isn't too bad either I usually let it pass cause there's a lot of money at stake there. If the client complains and I can't mend him with a discount, I have to re-do it.

Speedsterbeast

Done lots of those

Actually did one yesterday. Use the deep groove body line as a level. Then cheat a slight rake downward to the front of the vehicle about 1.5mm per 4' (yes I'm aware I'm using both metric and imperial)

gabagoo

Those Ford vans have that sloping roof line and everything one way or another looks off. I would also use the main body line as opposed to the roof line.
The new Nissan vans have issues as well with the strange insert window area being off centre no matter howe you lay te vinyl down.

Billct2

On those vans we follow the belt line.
But the "eyes don't lie" and a lot of time it's what looks right not what's "level"

ProWraps

the only "straight" horizontal line on a ford van is the indent groove about 12" above the bottom. its is straight to the vehicle the full length.

the top, the insets, the belly band all have their own agenda and are not straight, nor straight to the vehicle.

what is correct for the particular install depends on what is going on the vehicle, and where it is going. its a judgement call.

ive wrapped probably 500 of those things.

TheSnowman

Those Ford vans are the worst. I "learned" my first one on a Ford, and it looked wrong no matter what I did. The key for me is keeping it low as you can on those vans, and yes, always follow the longest line on the vehicle, which would be the bottom one on those ford vans.

I normally tell the customers up front on the Ford vans that it's possible that you could question whichever line I go with, but I've seen both, and the one I use is the best of the two. It's normally not real bad unless it's right up against that top line.

TammieH

No such thing as level on a vehicle, like most say you take the longest and straightest beauty line, sometimes you have to eyeball your vinyl, just step back and look at it before you apply. Ford and Chevy full size vans should not be that difficult, just remember like Fords will drop down on the doors and the front. we've made magnetic straightedges to make it easier.

Also try to use baselines and the straight lines that are closest (below) your main baseline. Some people will pick a line above the base line to align off of which can be a huge mistake as shown in your photo. You see people do that with the windows on the front doors as well. Baseline to window is a big no no.

Measure, measure, measure,and measure again, then step back and see if it looks straight.

Oh I just read your post again..."he followed the designers plan" LOL that':ROFLMAO:s a good one

Speedsterbeast

Damn Nissans

Those Ford vans have that sloping roof line and everything one way or another looks off. I would also use the main body line as opposed to the roof line.
The new Nissan vans have issues as well with the strange insert window area being off centre no matter howe you lay te vinyl down.
Yes those Nissans are a pain. You have to do the side with the door track first and use that as a guide, then measure what you did on the other side.