Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best way to ask for..

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DnDSigns, Nov 5, 2009.

1. DnDSigns

DnDSigns New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Whats the best way to ask the customer for their logo in a vector format? Most of them look at me like I am crazy. And if they don't have it in vector format, whats the best way to go from there??

THANKS!!

Tags:
  2. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    the best way is to include an artwork charge in every new clients order and to avoid the conversation completely, it isnt worth my time because 9 times out of 10 "if' they have artwork it is unusable or needs repair and they dont want to pay for it to be fixed because they 'supplied' you with what you asked for.... if they have vector art they already have a sign guy.

3. D&Tgraphics

D&Tgraphics Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    "Do you have your logo in a vector format?"

"Well, seeing you don't have it in a vector format then, I will have to redraw it and it will cost ---- ."

:rock-n-roll:

4. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Very Active Member

Which graphic design company created your logo? Oh, you designed it? Okay, can you supply me with the vector file? No, that's fine, we can supply you with a vectorized file that will be accepted for all types of t-shirts, print, etc. for $x's. You will be able to utilize this format for any advertising venue you may encounter.

5. Sign Works

Sign Works Very Active Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Sacramento, CA

First off you need to establish a complete understanding of exactly what it is that you are talking about, vector is NOT a format! It is a type of computer graphic image, no wonder they are so confused, how can you expect the customer to understand what your talking about if you are using incorrect terms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

6. Artildawn

Artildawn Member

Jun 23, 2009
    if they had it designed, ask them for the format they cant open :D

The average customer doesn't have AI or Corel, or, .... so they can't open them.

7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We have a sample poster of a jpeg enlarged and vector art enlarged. If they think we are full of it we enlarge the jpeg they gave us and print it out full size on our laser printer.
    This shows them, most of the time they say "looks good on our computer", and I tell them they are right but it is only 1" tall.

8. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Tell em it'll cost em $120 to rework their file and they soon start ringing their designer if they had one.

9. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    I've always felt that "Hey a$$ho!e, will you give me your damn vector art before I charge you out the a$$ to recreate it?" worked fairly well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  10. redline graphics

redline graphics Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Winnipeg
    :roflmao::roflmao:

11. Get the logo in what ever format they have it and send it to Eric at the Vector Doctor. s'what I do all the time.

12. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    :goodpost: but don't forget to charge for this!

13. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    it depends on the customer. if you are making a sign for an established company like Allstate or Coca-Cola, they have access to files. Joe the plumber will have, at best , a crappy .jpeg if they have anything at all. some do have art work that they have paid for but most don't. you can have a pre-made artwork requirement sheet that they can use to ask for correct files without you having to explain what is what. Dan's advice is good as you can pretty much assume that you will be converting a low res .jpeg or doing some work to get a file that you need. just include the cost in the job without having it broken out as they will assume that because they provided artwork that it isn't needed.

14. scootinbob

scootinbob Member

Apr 9, 2009
    twinsburg,oh
  15. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Tell them it'll probably be $50 to re-work it, but you can manipulate it then. Then, scan it in, or forward it to The Vector Doc. and make cash on the deal, and have a perfect file.

16. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    seems like this one pops up every few months. i have never seen results from this site that any of my clients would accept. it will never be a replacement for manually recreating artwork...ever

17. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    I'm amazed at what customers can dig up once they find out they're getting additional charges.

18. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    I am dealing with this once again and it is so frustrating.
    I do have a deposit, but it was with the understanding that their designer would send me the proper files.
    Just doing a search instead of asking this same question....again.
    Love....Jill

19. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I realize this post was last years conversation... but I also see that Sign Works is on-line right now, so i gotta ask... are you still so sure the word "format" is incorrect? It's not a "file format" (like .eps or .pdf) ...but I see no reason to imply that use of the term "vector format" is part of the source of confusion... and to take such a rigid point of view that it is wrong terminology, and then paste that link in strikes me as funny when the wiki link uses that term too:

20. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    Jill, I confess that I have not done nearly as much with my blog as I had hoped to do by now, and not much at all on my FAQ page, but i always knew one of the things I would want on a FAQ page would be to discuss this topic, so that is the one thing I did get on there last year.
    Check it out!