• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the best way to ask for..

DnDSigns

Whats the best way to ask the customer for their logo in a vector format? Most of them look at me like I am crazy. And if they don't have it in vector format, whats the best way to go from there??

THANKS!!

the best way is to include an artwork charge in every new clients order and to avoid the conversation completely, it isnt worth my time because 9 times out of 10 "if' they have artwork it is unusable or needs repair and they dont want to pay for it to be fixed because they 'supplied' you with what you asked for.... if they have vector art they already have a sign guy.

zmatalucci

Which graphic design company created your logo? Oh, you designed it? Okay, can you supply me with the vector file? No, that's fine, we can supply you with a vectorized file that will be accepted for all types of t-shirts, print, etc. for $x's. You will be able to utilize this format for any advertising venue you may encounter.

Sign Works

Whats the best way to ask the customer for their logo in a vector format? Most of them look at me like I am crazy. And if they don't have it in vector format, whats the best way to go from there??

THANKS!!

First off you need to establish a complete understanding of exactly what it is that you are talking about, vector is NOT a format! It is a type of computer graphic image, no wonder they are so confused, how can you expect the customer to understand what your talking about if you are using incorrect terms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

Artildawn

if they had it designed, ask them for the format they cant open :D

The average customer doesn't have AI or Corel, or, .... so they can't open them.

Mosh

We have a sample poster of a jpeg enlarged and vector art enlarged. If they think we are full of it we enlarge the jpeg they gave us and print it out full size on our laser printer.
This shows them, most of the time they say "looks good on our computer", and I tell them they are right but it is only 1" tall.

Bly

Tell em it'll cost em $120 to rework their file and they soon start ringing their designer if they had one.

Pat Whatley

I've always felt that "Hey a$$ho!e, will you give me your damn vector art before I charge you out the a$$ to recreate it?" worked fairly well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlene

it depends on the customer. if you are making a sign for an established company like Allstate or Coca-Cola, they have access to files. Joe the plumber will have, at best , a crappy .jpeg if they have anything at all. some do have art work that they have paid for but most don't. you can have a pre-made artwork requirement sheet that they can use to ask for correct files without you having to explain what is what. Dan's advice is good as you can pretty much assume that you will be converting a low res .jpeg or doing some work to get a file that you need. just include the cost in the job without having it broken out as they will assume that because they provided artwork that it isn't needed.

TheSnowman

Tell them it'll probably be $50 to re-work it, but you can manipulate it then. Then, scan it in, or forward it to The Vector Doc. and make cash on the deal, and have a perfect file.

Jillbeans

I am dealing with this once again and it is so frustrating.
I do have a deposit, but it was with the understanding that their designer would send me the proper files.
Just doing a search instead of asking this same question....again.
Love....Jill

iSign

First off you need to establish a complete understanding of exactly what it is that you are talking about, vector is NOT a format! It is a type of computer graphic image, no wonder they are so confused, how can you expect the customer to understand what your talking about if you are using incorrect terms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

I realize this post was last years conversation... but I also see that Sign Works is on-line right now, so i gotta ask... are you still so sure the word "format" is incorrect? It's not a "file format" (like .eps or .pdf) ...but I see no reason to imply that use of the term "vector format" is part of the source of confusion... and to take such a rigid point of view that it is wrong terminology, and then paste that link in strikes me as funny when the wiki link uses that term too:

Vector graphics formats are complementary to raster graphics, which is the representation of images as an array of pixels, as it is typically used for the representation of photographic images.[1] There are instances when working with vector tools and formats is the best practice, and instances when working with raster tools and formats is the best practice. There are times when both formats come together.

iSign

I am dealing with this once again and it is so frustrating.
I do have a deposit, but it was with the understanding that their designer would send me the proper files.
Just doing a search instead of asking this same question....again.
Love....Jill

Jill, I confess that I have not done nearly as much with my blog as I had hoped to do by now, and not much at all on my FAQ page, but i always knew one of the things I would want on a FAQ page would be to discuss this topic, so that is the one thing I did get on there last year.
Check it out!