Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats The Big Fuss?

Discussion in 'Corel' started by edwin, May 30, 2006.

1. edwin

edwin Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Don't get me wrong, I am a Corel Draw nut, it is a really awsome program, but I read in here how the new corel (X3) auto trace is so great. I am not impressed. I have tried three differant images and all differant setting and nothing is acceptible.

Mabee you guys can correct me. Mabee I am doing it wrong, but my old HP scanner will scan in vector image and do much better job.

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Keep practicing..........

:signs101:

3. edwin

edwin Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Shovelhead, do you have time to mess with me? I will send you an image and you can auto trace it. Don't edit the nodes, just trace it. If it turns out well, then I will ask you to teach me. If it does not, mabee I can teach you.

Teach you? You seem to be the king in this forum! but you never know.

4. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Well edwin,,
    I tried just about every tracer out there,, from adobe streamline to Eurovector, to flexi (which by the way had a good one), Magic Tracer and a few others. A couple of which were very expensive..

In my experience.. Corel X3 is the best i've ever used. It is not a perfect answer to some stuff. But. It is now my exclusive tracer. As my new location cranks up I know it will make me money and save me time. If fact, this utility smoothes out some really bad stuff into something adequate.

Likewise, this is the same response of nearly every one I know who uses X3's new addition.
    But, I also know that some will never be happy with this X3 package. So, if you do not mind,,, please tell me which trace utility you use. I'd love to use your favorite if it fits my needs better than X3.

--techman

5. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    many times this discussion we all have our faves & what works for one might not for another

6. sullosau

sullosau Active Member

Sep 8, 2005
    I cant trace for peanuts but I got X3 to work pretty good, my other fav tool is Eric :)

7. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    hmm eric huh
    But whit is better

8. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Edwin - attached is an example of "the fuss" :) The image on the left shows the JPG I was sent and the image on the right is the un-retouched, default settings Corel X3 Auto-trace that I used to produce the 2.8' x 7' banner that the client was very impressed with. Too easy! :) 'Auto-trace' and 'Create Boundary' alone are worth, to me, more that the price of the upgrade :)

Attached Files:

9. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Fred is the king...............

I'm just a loyal subject.
    I don't remember anyone saying that an image was ready for reproduction
    without a little node editing.
    :thankyou:

10. edwin

edwin Member

Mar 8, 2006
    The old HP scanners would actually scan in vector mode, and actually do pretty good job. Hp 5300 and hp 6300 and a few others. Its not real obvious (their is not a button that says vector). Scan in black and white and choose proper region type. Bring it in corel and veiw it in wire frame.

11. edwin

edwin Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I only mentioned "don't edit the nodes" because if you did then I wouldn't be able to tell how well the scan performed.

12. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Dont understand your topic. Are you saying that X3 sux because you have an old scanner that does better? 99% of us do not have an old HP scanner and thus must MAke Do with what we got.

So using X3 to scan and vector is what we got and so far i seems to be the best we got..

13. edwin

edwin Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Not saying that X3 sux. I just had high expectations from all that I read and so far the auto trace has not impressed me. I will continue to try differant images as time goes on (only have limited time to play around and expierment).

Anyway you can get one on ebay for about 50 bucks.

14. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

i prefer STREAMLINE 4.0 nothing works as well...not sayin its the best but if i try something in X3 and it looks bad, i can usually get it better in STREAMLINE...plus i like the steamline cleanup and eraser/fill function....iam used to it.....so it does a better job for me...

15. Cadmn

Cadmn Very Active Member

Aug 19, 2005
    streamline is now livetrace in cs2? I think I know 4 was last streamline actually realeased by adobe according to their web site