• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats the scoop? mini rant

gabagoo

I am just in a mood today so although it sounds like I am livid it is just a personal observation about people and just how they lack any common sense whatsoever. so here goes.... I'm sure I am not the only one who deals with this

What is it with people and e-mail?

Like it is the only form of communication they know!! Pick up a phone and call me!!! we can figure everything out in a matter of minutes over continual back and forth BS over a period of days

I have approximately 8 emails from a designer, back and forth and he never answers my questions...

Today he sends me an email and it says in the subject line "Whats the scoop" no copy in the main body area.

All this for a banner I printed for some little league soccer team 4 years ago and every year he brings it to me to swap out sponsors.....were talking about an hours work, so I charge him $80.00 and this email conversation goes back and forth for a period of 2 weeks.... last email I sent was a price to remove and replace 3 logos and an alternative to just reprint the banner and possibly redo the 3 logos and they can have 2 banners for under $200.00 ( it is pretty small)

Whats the scoop?

YOU EFIN TELL ME!!!

end of mini sarcastic rant...... thought I would allow you to enjoy some of my BS today....

have a great weekend!!!!

The Masters!!!

J Hill Designs

send him this

Attachments

• 31375-scoop.jpg
    31375-scoop.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 71

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I just had a customer email me the dimensions of a wall. Good luck figuring that out.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-04-11 at 10.37.58 AM.png
    Screen shot 2014-04-11 at 10.37.58 AM.png
    8 KB · Views: 45

Robert Boyd

We do four foamcore signs for a trade show 10" x 10".
I said they were too small and I suggested that they should be double that size.
About a week later they call to tell me everything was perfect except the size
and could they "trade" them in for bigger signs.

heyskull

Designers go out of their way to make things harder or as near impossible as they can!!!!!!
As soon as I get a job from a designer or archtitect you can bet you should instantly triple your price because of all the B.S.
I mean they use the most obscure and unobtainable letter style and make sure the design is so expensive to recreate it is not viable.
I would get them in the shop in front of you before going any further. Then explain their is a cost for time incurred.

SC

CanuckSigns

Only 8 emails? I've had a $65 order that went over 30 emails by the end of it, at the end I stopped caring and just put on my drone hat and did exactly what the client asked, looked like poop.

Z SIGNS

Don't sweat it.

People can only aggravate you with your permission.

Yup it's the $8,000 jobs that go easier than the $80 dollar ones.

Myself I can smell it coming and I either ignore them or make it clear upfront that we are designers and there is a fee.

I feel for you because still every now and then one falls through the cracks and ends up sucking up a lot of time.

gabagoo

I broke down and called the guy and asked what he meant by What's the scoop? and he then tells me he has been having trouble with his emails since November....and I had to pick up the phone... go figure.....

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I love it when the "designer" specs out graphic films that were discontinued, or has a part number/color name that doesn't actually exist.

visual800

Lol, yep I also do it. Sort thru and delete the junk. Listen to messages and delete begore they are done telling me what they want. If they call and I dont understand their accent i send them somewhere else or never call them back. I just dont have time for that crap, been down that road a couple times and know where its gonna end up, wasted time

Marlene

Designers go out of their way to make things harder or as near impossible as they can!!!!!!
As soon as I get a job from a designer or archtitect you can bet you should instantly triple your price because of all the B.S.
I mean they use the most obscure and unobtainable letter style and make sure the design is so expensive to recreate it is not viable.
I would get them in the shop in front of you before going any further. Then explain their is a cost for time incurred.

this is so common when working a designer or an archtitect! they call for stupid stuff that makes no sense at all. they have no clue about stock sizes and will ask for something to be 48.625" and act liek paying the extra for oversized is no big deal when it is to the poor slob who hired them. they drive me nuts

peavey123

The not answering questions gets to me, and it seems to be a regular occurrence when communicating through e-mail. I wonder if it's because people are e-mailing when driving?

I love it so much when a regular client goes and finds themselves their own designer to avoid our fee's and then I have to have 20 back-and-forth e-mails with said designer explaining how to set-up their artwork properly. Best response from a designer "what's a bleed again?" lol I wish there was a way to charge customers for time dealing with their "designers". ah 1st world problems...

judead

I had a customer try to work through by text. I finally sent him a last text of when you are ready to have your job done call me. Never heard from him. They were a franchise and a year later they completely went out of business. Go figure.