• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

whats up with these pantones in VW

SIGNTIME

After updating to the latest version of VW, I have decided to print out some pantone color charts and books. When in VW I get the little caution symbol on some of the colors as seen in the picture.

What does it mean and how do I fix it? Is or has anyone else experienced this?

I am not the best with color matching and profiles by any means.

xj540, gcvp profile saved as an .eps from illy

No image attached to your message.

The exclamation point symbol means that the Pantone color is out of gamut, and will likely not reproduce accurately (to some extent).

SIGNTIME

oops forgot to attach.... so will they always print the same or will they be no good to use for matching

Attachments

• pantone caution.jpg
    pantone caution.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 84

anotherdog

some pantones can't be hit with the CMYK of your printer. I think the little ! is to alert you to the issue.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
The explanations are correct. The new system assumes the use of profiles matched to your media, and good linearization. If your profiles and media don't really match, VersaWorks might get you close, but the profile is how it really "knows" what color is going to output with given ink mixtures on a particular media. Profiles are essentially lookup tables that tell the printer what to output to get a specified input color. Different media react differently to the same ink mixture and load, which is why the same profile on two different media can yield different results.

We gave a webinar on it this morning that was recorded and should be available in a day or so. Register for the webinar system here - http://rolanddga.com/training/workshops/detail.aspx?cid={24b20f05-30b2-df11-a2e0-00505684649c} and you can access the recordings as well.

phototec

Pantone Matching System colors are made from 13 base colors, plus black and white, and most CMYK ink jet printers can only match most of the colors, not all. The Delta-E value is the difference between a true match and a shift in color, it's said that a Delta-E value of 2 or less is not noticeable by the human eye, however the higher the Delta-E rating the more the color-match will be off.

The warning sign you are refereeing to is just that, an indicator letting you know that PMS color can not be matched 100%.

http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/Delta_E:_The_Color_Difference

SIGNTIME

alright that all makes sense ... if I print a color with the warning symbol it wont be the right color but if I print that same color a week or month later with the same media and profile will the two prints match?

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Signtime - If all the settings are the same, the colors will be close. However, there still can be slight differences due to environmental changes or other factors, so it will depend how close a match you need. Ideally, systems should be relinearized at fairly frequent intervals, particularly if the shop doesn't have temperature and humidity controls.

These facts are true of any printing system, and not exclusive to Roland, or even inkjet.

SIGNTIME

i guess i should be more clear with my question will i get the same result everytime i print a color that has that caution symbol assuming everything is the same file, media, profile, temperature, humidity, air pressure, ect...

phototec

i guess i should be more clear with my question will i get the same result everytime i print a color that has that caution symbol assuming everything is the same file, media, profile, temperature, humidity, air pressure, ect...

Oh, and don't forget you must be facing the very same direction when select the print button...

:ROFLMAO:

SIGNTIME

same day of the week and time of day right? guess I'll just have to do so sample printing ... I figured some has to have tried it

dcurtisroland

The explanations are correct. The new system assumes the use of profiles matched to your media, and good linearization. If your profiles and media don't really match, VersaWorks might get you close, but the profile is how it really "knows" what color is going to output with given ink mixtures on a particular media. Profiles are essentially lookup tables that tell the printer what to output to get a specified input color. Different media react differently to the same ink mixture and load, which is why the same profile on two different media can yield different results.

We gave a webinar on it this morning that was recorded and should be available in a day or so. Register for the webinar system here - http://rolanddga.com/training/workshops/detail.aspx?cid={24b20f05-30b2-df11-a2e0-00505684649c} and you can access the recordings as well.

Both of these webinars on VersaWorks 4.8 have been posted to our video archive - www.rolanddga.com/webinars

-Dana

Andrew O

Merchant Member
Signtime - Assuming all else is equal, yes. The system will print the closest match it can, and will print that match every time you send it that color.