• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's with these tire kickers?

J

john1

Hey everyone!

Every have things go well then a few people who want to waste your time just put a damper on your whole day?

Had a guy earlier today see i posted up about doing in memory decals on a social networking site since i been doing alot lately, I told him the price and he said "Alright i will let you know if i decide to get one". I sent him a message back stating that i thought since you asked about pricing you were interested in placing a order and he said "i was just seeing the price. i know i want something like it, but idk yet."

A women asked me via email "How much do you charge to ship to New York", What kind of question is what without a order?

Then i had a guy who i have done a vehicle lettering for want 4" x 15' of stripe for his boat.

I told the guy i would have no problem doing that and he can figure on paying $80-100 since i have to match the color he needs up from the Oracal chip book, have my supplier cut the roll down and all. He says "Alright i will stop by tomorrow and show you the color and i can pay you Dec 9th"

I told him to wait to Dec 9 and Thanks. I was going to be nice and just double my raw cost and give him the 4" x 10yd roll which is what i would have for his job but now i might just give him the 15' lol

Gosh i don't know why some people waste your time, It's like are you serious? I know these aren't THAT bad but still bothered my great mood after one customer just made a $600 order with me and i was on cloud 9

Venting for Friday is done :)

Last edited by a moderator:

showcase 66

I had a guy stop by one day asking about some small "In Memory of" decals for his grandson who just passed away, I had a couple of installs to get onto but since he was here, I put together the "In Memory of" decal and I had to take a call. 1 min later I turn back and the guy was gone. Called the guy up from the card he gave me and he says I just wanted to see if it would have looked better in a different font than the other guy made for me. He almost needed an "In Memory of him" decal

Pat Whatley

NOTHING we have ever done in this shop wasted as much time as "In Memory Of...." decals. NOTHING.

They'd want roses, they'd want 1/2" tall commercial script, they couldn't remember the guys last name, they'd spend 15 minutes on the phone calling everybody they knew to see what everybody else was doing, then they'd want vinyl that matched their car, then they'd complain that it was more than the $4 their buddy paid somewhere else.

Nope, now we just tell them we're not set up for stuff like that and refer them to the shop down the street that seem to want those orders.

SignManiac

But Pat, their youngn's may come back in five years and have you make a new sign for there new business? You could be losing future work.

Pat Whatley

What do I care? At the rate it's going the future of this business is going to be while you wait signs and graphics for $2 psf and available at every gas station in town. I'll pass, thank you.

And in retrospect I remembered that Signs101 is a bigger time waster than RIP decals....but not by much.

Jillbeans

CSDD....Hahahaha!

I hate doing those too. I always feel guilty for charging for them too, even if I didn't know the poor stiff.
:)

I am so used to time wasters that when someone actually orders something I think they are joking.
Had a lady pull up yesterday with signs sticking out of the back of her truck, for a place which went out of business just up the street.
She needed a repaint (material was like new, I could flip and do the backs)
I told her the price and expected her to leave.
Much to my surprise she gave me a cash deposit and even helped me load the signs into my garage.
She was my kinda gal.

Had a guy last week call and beat my ear about some enclosed trailer job.
He said he had the artwork, and I explained that it would just be easier to send me over a file so I could see what he was talking about.
He kept calling me back saying my email was not working.
I told him to send it to my personal email. Still no dice, altho I was getting other mail on both servers.
I asked him if it was a big file, he said no, it's a Word file only about 100 kb.
When it finally did come thru (on both emails) it was freaking HUGE big pix and like 8mb.
So I emailed and gave him a fairly concise quote, saying I would also revamp his layout (all Arial all Word effects ugh)
The he emails back asking if I would do him a sample of my ideas.
Ummm....NO.
Now I get spam emails from him on both email addresses, the last was that his kid was selling popcorn for the boyscouts.
:)
Love....Jill

Clear Choice

It's not just signs and decals.

I have a small walk-in print shop and last week a couple walked in
with a nicely done glossy tri-fold brochure with bleeds all around.
They wanted a price on making 50 more.
I told them that this small quantity would have to be made on the
copy machine and cut down all the way around to produce the bleeds.
Gave them a price which came out to more than $1 each.
They looked at each other and he said that V-S-T-A Printing
online was cheaper but they wanted to give local people the business.

Then they wanted the price for 500 brochures and business cards too.
I politely told them that no one in town was going to match the online
prices at V-S-T-A, myself included and gave them generic prices.
Artwork? Oh, this was a pre-set online template. No artwork.
I'm sure they left thinking that all the print shops in town are rip offs.

DUH, can I help you out ...which door did you come in?

fmg

Had a phone call few weeks ago from an aggressive sounding woman. She asked if I could sell her some scrap PVC for a sign that she wanted to make herself.I said we do not sell materials.She then inquired as to where she could get it from, I replied that I am very sorry but this is a trade and we have our vendors that supply this.Should you wish for me to make you the sign please feel free to come to the shop. F U and click the phone went down.Nice eh!

J

john1

Hell in a hour or so i have a install to do on a set of semi doors. The customer said "Well just bring me the invoice when your done and i'll cut you a check". Why can't all customers be this easy going? lol

Farmboy

The customer said "Well just bring me the invoice when your done and i'll cut you a check". Why can't all customers be this easy going? lol
Yup, nice and easy goin till they don't like the position or a shade of vinyl. Cash always before even cutting the doors, or doing the design.

Jillbeans

Yeah I don't like doing something without any sort of deposit.
If they hold the check they think they have the power (and they kinda do) to make you re-do something that is perfectly OK etc.
People will be quoted the cheapest price in town (not by me) and they still want to nickle and dime you to death.
I wonder why they don't go to the guy who quoted $25/set of magnetics instead of trying to get em still cheaper.
I often say in response to when told a price they've been quoted by some anonymous shop "you better stick with that company then because I charge three times that much"
>click<
Sometimes in my nightmares I hear a loop of "Is that the best price you can give me?"

ova

We did too many of this stuff. It was always too costly for the shop so we made a generic "In Memory of" and just change the name. One color 651 cal for the outside of the window. This is all we offer. Same for all the scoocer, football, etc stuff. And I tell the customer we'll get to it when we can. We use them as fillers if the machine is idle while we're designing.

If they want to pay the standard rates for artwork and design, I'll listen to them, but most want it for next to nothing. "Can't you make from some scrap you have laying around?" Nope, all of the scrap is in the trash can.

I hardly ever turn anyone away, but we try to control our business, not the customer.

Dave

J

john1

I just did the job and customer was pleased. It was black lettering with a white outline so no worries on any color issues. They seen the design before i cut the lettering so we're all good.

Craig Sjoquist

Ya want some cheese with that whine.

Try being over in Iraq and Afghanistan protecting our freedoms to say this whiney stuff
Try getting a nights sleep in the heat over there try anything we take for granted while they can only wish for our problems...excuse me but when people whine about what is real and you can do much about.

...I think of our soldiers in what they deal with ..remember family and friends are not there to ease their pains. ..Be positive turn negative around as much as possible.

fmg

Ya want some cheese with that whine.

Try being over in Iraq and Afghanistan protecting our freedoms to say this whiney stuff
Try getting a nights sleep in the heat over there try anything we take for granted while they can only wish for our problems...excuse me but when people whine about what is real and you can do much about.

...I think of our soldiers in what they deal with ..remember family and friends are not there to ease their pains. ..Be positive turn negative around as much as possible.

OI what on earth has Afghanistan and soldiers got to do with this topic.U need to come down a peg or two chum!