• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's wrong? Pic attached

B Snyder

Machine and all of it's parts are 2.5 years old. This just started happening today. On only the black printhead, the ink appears to continue spraying just very slightly past where it should have stopped. Head is clean, there are no stray hairs and I think if it were a static issue it would be happening to the other heads too. Media is 3M IJ35-C and inks are (and have always been) Roland OEM. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Print1.jpg
    Print1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 72

B Snyder

This profile, media and ink combination have been used for 1,000's of sf. I'll try cleaning again. I'm not familiar with the encoder strip. If it's supposed to be cleaned this will be the first time I'm cleaning it!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The encoder strip is clear and runs along the rail.
Clean it with a soft cloth and 50/50 % mix of iso/h20 or 100% iso

Should fix the problem.

Malkin

That looks like exactly what happens when I leave the head height set to "high" on ours. Same thing, black only.

Ragnabrok

Not the encoder strip, the print isnt stair stepping. that some classic overspray. Usually caused by half-blocked nozzles, so the ink droplets come out nearly sideways instead of down. The black ink is higher density, so it's always the first to start getting wonky.

It doesn't look terrible on the nozzle check, so it can likely be cleaned away with a head swab drenched in cleaning solution, SOFTLY applied directly to the surface of the head, just make sure there are no hairs or fibers stuck to the surface before you wipe.

While you're at it, check the wipers. they should be standing mostly vertical, and straight with minimal ink on the rubber side. if they are boomerang shaped, or bent way backward get em outta there!

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Looks like it may be dirt/fibers/etc. On the heads. Inspect the heads / carriage for anything suspect. Also any environmental changes? Humidity etc. It doesn't look like a encoder strip issue but wouldn't hurt to clean it.

tanneji

We had a similar issue and it was lint that I didn't get clean on the first cleaning. It was strangely stuck to the side of the print head and would drag across the print as it was printing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could be lotsa things. If it was winter, I'd say static in the air with too much ink going down or a dirty head with some fuzz on it.

It could be a combination of humidity and a dirty fuzzy head.

I just love it when my head is fuzzy and someone cleans it for me. :Oops: I mean from drinking... get your minds out of the gutter. :ROFLMAO:

cdiesel

Uhh.. that's a dirty head. 100%.
You have very slight deflections on the K head. It doesn't look like much, but that's what's doing it.

BALLPARK

Try...

* Environmental match option on your roland printer.
* Clean heads.
* Check head height.
* Clean encoder strip.

...good luck.

cobo_design

Imaginative art ga
HI, i have the same problem with the magenta, but the roland guys tellme it's an electricla problem, i change everything and nothing works!!!!!