• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

whats wrong with my XC-540?

ucmj22

I am getting drops of magenta across my prints. I clean the heads every week, but it seems to be a recurring problem. I just ran a clean cycle on B bank but havent done a test print yet. any ideas on why this is happening?

Sticky Signs

Sounds like dirty or old wiper blades. Perform maintenance and clean em up. If the blades are in bad shape (ie, not standing up straight, bad edges, etc) than it's time to replace them. Not sure how old your machine or blades are, but the last batch of blades i bought no longer have the crappy felt-like material on them. The ink was corroding the felt adhesive so they removed it. The blades are just made of rubber now.

ucmj22

I dont think it is the blades, the whole machine itself is only about a month old. I clean the heads with the factory foam swabs once a week, and the wipers look ok, granted I have never seen what they look like when they go bad since we have only had the machine for about a month.

Slamdunkpro

When our Roland starts "drooling" it's usually foreign matter like a hair or thread on the head. I had a similar problem when ours was new and it turned out to be bad board. Clean the heads & wipes, do a medium clean and if it still happens, put in a service call.

cdiesel

Make sure you're using a flashlight when you're cleaning so you can actually see what you're doing. Look very carefully for any lint or fuzzies on the heads and on the wipers. Be sure you're cleaning the wipers and cap tops every week too.

Robert72

If all the other things our folks have suggested are ok, look at the temperature. Very high and very cold environmental temps can make the printhead to cry.

ucmj22

well, i guess i'll clean it again, run a med clean cycle and see it it still happens, then call in the support team. it always seems to be a problem with the magenta which also happens to be the color of ink that I am lowest on; dont know if that is related to the problem or not.

ucmj22

yes it has happened on basically all of our media, banner, 3M IJ180, and it just did it on the matte solvent paper I had in, especially where there was dense reds. it is about 70 degrees in the shop

Last edited:

ucmj22

found small fuzz hair on the back of the magenta head after pulling out a flashlight! hopefully this was the issue. Thanks for all the help.