• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's Your Method For Printing Banners With A White Background?

AnthonyRalano

I use a faint yellow color so I can know where the edge of the banner is if it has a white background. Just wondering how everyone else does it?

Salmoneye

I run a 1/2pt grey line 1" outside the boundaries of the banner. I like it better than crop marks in case it is a loooong banner. This is my actual cut line not the finish banner dimension. Tape to the edge, fold and go.

edgette

I make a .5point gray line on the edge of the banner and another one an inch around that for my cut line. Apply the tape then fold and press to the first line being careful that I keep that gray line towards the back. I haven't had a problem doing it this way yet.

StudioSignsInc

1 pt. gray outline around the edges of the banner. For 4' banner printed on 54" media - set the base point 1" from starting edge, this way only the other 3 edges need trimming. 3' banner on 38" media - center to media, only trim the ends. Tape and fold, make sure the outlines go on the back. Works great.

player

I print the outer cut border, but I find it easier to tape the banner when I line the folded edge to marks I put on the back of the banner.

J Hill Designs

Yeah I use a 2 1/8" wide straight edge to quickly run a line on the back (the extra 1/8" so air can escape when pressing the tape hem down)

RocketBanner

If you use Adobe illustrator this is quite simple. Assuming you are trying to accomodate a margin for 1 in banner tape try this, Add (2) 1pt strokes, an inch apart, see movie

[video=youtube_share;iNSHc9PgpIs]http://youtu.be/iNSHc9PgpIs[/video]

shoresigns

We print a 7/8" thick light grey border that goes to the edge of the bleed. This gives us an easy line to follow for trimming and for 1" hemming. We also print marks for the grommets.

Rojo

Not trying start a feud and I know there are simpler ways to do it but the video in post #9 illustrates why I use CorelDraw 90% of the time.

RocketBanner

Not trying start a feud and I know there are simpler ways to do it but the video in post #9 illustrates why I use CorelDraw 90% of the time.

There's no simpler way of doing it in illustrator if that's what you're saying, if there was I would have demonstrated that. As for CorelDraw I cant say, but it's been my impression that while being easier to learn it's lacks the OOMPF of Adobe Illustrator, especially when combined with the entire Creative Suite/Cloud.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
There's no simpler way of doing it in illustrator if that's what you're saying, if there was I would have demonstrated that. As for CorelDraw I cant say, but it's been my impression that while being easier to learn it's lacks the OOMPF of Adobe Illustrator, especially when combined with the entire Creative Suite/Cloud.

Maybe a tiny bit simpler in Illy(less mouse clicks - no menus to open):
Rectangle selected "Ctrl C" "Ctrl F"

Select W "+2" tab over to H "+2"
(In the transform toolbar on top that auto-updates when an object is selected)

Print away.

wayne k
guam usa

Almost forgot - works the same in Corel (Ctrl V instead of Ctr F)

RocketBanner

Maybe a tiny bit simpler in Illy(less mouse clicks - no menus to open):
Rectangle selected "Ctrl C" "Ctrl F"

Of course there are many ways to accomplish essentially the same outcome with any software, you obviously have a good working knowledge of illustrator since you're familiar with the past in front command. Notwithstanding the extra steps I inserted in the movie strictly for demonstration purposes I would say our 2 methods have about the same number of steps, I prefer my method because it is a live effect and will update on the fly anytime you modify the original path. Your method creates a redundant path and requires you change 2 paths instead of one. But certainly either will work.