• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's your preferance and why?

MikeD

glad for the MACtac insight.... their marketing people are about to unleash the "...most durable laminate ever!" at the SGIA show next week.
3M has the branding and warranty, but I've seen some really impressive stuff done with Arlon. I saw some youtube vids of one of their techs doing an install... keep in mind, I'm inexperienced and easy to impress when it comes to wraps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xor7smB7pLI

MikeD

Update!

just got done with SGIA in Orlando and got tons of feedback that I thought I would share:

It looks like calendared vinyl has come a long way. New polymeric plasticizers and adhesive systems make it last 3-5yrs outdoor. The polymerics are more tightly integrated into the pvc and less apt to bloom when compared to monos. That means the product will stay more pliable for a longer time and not crack or shrink as bad as I had once perceived.

A premium calendared wrap film (generic sales term) should work in conjunction with a cast overlaminate for most wraps, dependent upon what you want in regard to longevity...does anyone really need 5-7yrs? Probably, but not me. I'm doing all licensed art that changes frequently.

I am very close to deciding that a premium calendared film with a urethane lam will be the correct combination for the graphics I'm doing for the bottom panels, and for the hood / roof a calendared film with a cast overlam would be best. I'm just doing stripes; not full wraps.

For printing, I'm thinking of buying the JV400 SUV just so I dont have to wait for outgassing. I was wondering what the difference between UV and Latex was, and after pulling many teeth, found that the latex has a slightly wider color gamut due to the Orange and green inks along with the glossier look, whereas the SUV will take on the characteristics of the substrate it's applied to; matte will give you a matte print and gloss film will give a glossy print.

My feet feel like there about to melt off from walking the show for 3-days, but it paid off. I feel more confident in my decision based on what I gathered there, but also from all the pro-advice I got from you all at signs101...! thanks for making my job easier!

InstantOneMedia

. . . It looks like calendared vinyl has come a long way. New polymeric plasticizers and adhesive systems make it last 3-5yrs outdoor. . .That means the product will stay more pliable for a longer time and not crack or shrink as bad as I had once perceived.

...does anyone really need 5-7yrs? Probably, but not me. I'm doing all licensed art that changes frequently.

I am very close to deciding that a premium calendared film with a urethane lam will be the correct combination for the graphics I'm doing for the bottom panels, and for the hood / roof a calendared film with a cast overlam would be best. I'm just doing stripes; not full wraps.

This is what we realized long ago. We don't understand why people are willing to pay 3x the amount because they are afraid to change their ways.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
It looks like calendared vinyl has come a long way. New polymeric plasticizers and adhesive systems make it last 3-5yrs outdoor. ..

A premium calendared wrap film (generic sales term) should work in conjunction with a cast overlaminate for most wraps, dependent upon what you want in regard to longevity...does anyone really need 5-7yrs? Probably, but not me. I'm doing all licensed art that changes frequently.

Hmm...ask your paying customers which they'd prefer. I'm willing to bet they'd go with the Cast every time for full wraps if the only difference in their cost was the difference in your cost of those 2 vinyls.

HulkSmash

just got done with SGIA in Orlando and got tons of feedback that I thought I would share:

It looks like calendared vinyl has come a long way. New polymeric plasticizers and adhesive systems make it last 3-5yrs outdoor. The polymerics are more tightly integrated into the pvc and less apt to bloom when compared to monos. That means the product will stay more pliable for a longer time and not crack or shrink as bad as I had once perceived.

For printing, I'm thinking of buying the JV400 SUV just so I dont have to wait for outgassing. I was wondering what the difference between UV and Latex was, and after pulling many teeth, found that the latex has a slightly wider color gamut due to the Orange and green inks along with the glossier look, whereas the SUV will take on the characteristics of the substrate it's applied to; matte will give you a matte print and gloss film will give a glossy print.

My feet feel like there about to melt off from walking the show for 3-days, but it paid off. I feel more confident in my decision based on what I gathered there, but also from all the pro-advice I got from you all at signs101...! thanks for making my job easier!

Um no. Do not use any type of calendared film on vehicles. Though they might "last" They won't have the conform as the cast has, your channels will pop fast, and you will have a very unhappy custom. If you want to be successful, i suggest doing it right form the start. We wrap 45+ vehicles a month. I know what i'm talking about.

MikeD

I'm not really worried about any channels or rivets because we are not doing full wraps. We are doing stripes.

MikeD

If calendared material were to fail, how long do you think it would take to lift from a channel?
Just looking for an average; I realize each climate is different.
Thanks,
Miked

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
In my experience, improper material selection or installation will show itself within a couple of weeks or less and extreme temperatures will speed up the process.

I was taught and agree that calendared vinyl doesn't belong on vehicles. Calendared shrinks and leave ugly adhesive dirt rings around the graphics, has a tendency to crack on inside sharp corners, and leaves the adhesive behind when you remove it. You don't really save that much by using calendared over cast and you have the potential to lose money on the looks, longevity, and removal. I have attached a spread sheet showing the difference in material costs on 1' x 2' two color logo on two truck doors.

Material Costs.jpg

In the end you should be able to sell the lower overall cost of ownership and that the higher quality will make their company look better longer (you only get one chance at a first impression). Save the calendared for banners, coroplast and site signs.

Baz

Vehicle graphics = Cast ... period!

Don't try to reinvent the wheel ... Go with what is tested and true.

HulkSmash

If calendared material were to fail, how long do you think it would take to lift from a channel?
Just looking for an average; I realize each climate is different.
Thanks,
Miked

Calendered is going to crack, and leave adhesive. It's not just Lifting. You're asking a group of professionals how to do something right, yet you still question it.. It seems you want to stick with the cheap material. I suggest if you want your business to be successful use the right stuff from the start. The amount of business we get redoing wraps that are done by other hack companies using calendered vinyl is astounding. Good luck.