Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are you going UV?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by CarolinaCabinet, Sep 29, 2008.

1. CarolinaCabinet

CarolinaCabinet Active Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Just wondering how many average sign shops, not large whoelsalers, have went to UV or are considering going UV soon? No particular reason, just curious since we have one here, but are large, and before this job my past boss was considering going and he was a small business. Most on here still talk about solvent though.

Tags:
  2. Checkers

Checkers Very Active Member

Jul 24, 2003
    The best part of wholesaling is that I'm already there - without the equipment cost.
    Although I already have a local source, I beleive a couple of vendors here offer UV printing.

Checkers

3. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we have been looking to do the uv thing for the past few years
    still can't spare that kind of money on the machine
    $90000 and up for the units we would need to get
    need white ink and maybe clear also the way thins are going now
    would want flat bed and roll to roll capability
    also have to get some sort of plotter or cnc to go with it
    another expense
    but it is in the close future

4. wisconsin signs

wisconsin signs Member

Aug 20, 2008
    What is the cost of ink for UV per s/f? I guess average?

5. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    We're going there...............eventually. Just the cost of the machine vs the current economy.

I've heard cost of .25/sq.ft. based on 300% ink coverage (Ink and Lamps from OCE). i can't remember the others, I'd have to go check my notes on the various machines. Others are around this cost.

Just ask a sales rep. They should be able to tell you.

What is 300% ink coverage you ask?

4 colors CMYK 100% of each color is 400%. So xxx% ink coverage is the total combination of each inks percentage.

6. CarolinaCabinet

CarolinaCabinet Active Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Thats very close to most medium to highend UV's.... cheaper UV's are many times more than that per square foot because they pull from a 440ml cartridge, which costs more per ammount than the larger UV's than pull from a 1-3 Liter tank. On high quality without white ink I get around $.23 psf with my Vutek QS.... On production mode I can get into .15 cents.... If I run doublestrike 7 color with white then I can be over .50 cents.... it really varies by each printer and each job.... but on average I would say a little above 20 cents is about right.