• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant When did this all come about.......?????

mnchstr2k

I just got off the phone with an attorney's office who is looking for some new signs for their new location. These are supposedly learned people, yeah right.

Every other word out of her mouth was uhh, ummm, ya know, like, uhh........... You hear it on the radio these days, on television, person to person and just about everyone thinks the word uhh and umm are words in the English vocabulary. They are so stupid. If you don't know what to say..... don't talk. It sounds a whole lot smarter than saying.... well, we want it to uhhh be tasteful, but umm traditional uh nice looking and ahh you know, uh right ??

That together with all that are now saying...... me and so and so......... how frickin' stupid are the people teaching the kids today who turn into these idiots ?? Don't they hear it or correct it ??

A lawyer talking like that. I'd fire her @ss if she stood up to defend me and sounded as if she just got outta 2nd grade recess.

:frustrated:
When I was in school we were required to use words correctly, we learned the parts of speech and we were graded on our penmanship. These days it's considered insensitive or even racist to expect a student to speak correctly or write legibly. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as Siri, Alexa and Google do all our thinking and communicating for us. A customer service person from Google called (we have four numbers so every other day it seems) and tried to tell me we needed to update our business info, I replied "our info is correct I don't know why we keep getting these calls" and he said under his breath "come on bro" and hung up.

rjssigns

Absolutely despise hearing: "I kinda used this tool" or another all time favorite "You sort of do it like this" You either do or don't!!!!!:banghead: I don't allow that in my classroom. I tell them it sounds as if you don't have any confidence in your work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, one of the reasons I believe most people can't speak properly is that they are too busy to listen to what's right in front of them and thinking of their next question. Listening skills are shot in most of today's people...... young and old alike. There is wa-a-a-ay too much going on from cyber crap to just plain annoying sounds and distractions.

You're talking with someone and they drift off and watch a plane go over head..... or start swatting at a bug...... or try to listen into someone else's conversation. Between lousy listening skills and plain rudeness, the people are just not tuned in to what is going on. They are not aware of their immediate surroundings.

equippaint

Yeah, one of the reasons I believe most people can't speak properly is that they are too busy to listen to what's right in front of them and thinking of their next question. Listening skills are shot in most of today's people...... young and old alike. There is wa-a-a-ay too much going on from cyber crap to just plain annoying sounds and distractions.

You're talking with someone and they drift off and watch a plane go over head..... or start swatting at a bug...... or try to listen into someone else's conversation. Between lousy listening skills and plain rudeness, the people are just not tuned in to what is going on. They are not aware of their immediate surroundings.
One of my favorites - God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen twice as much as you talk.
All these distractions seem to be creating an ADD culture. There's a constant need to have some distraction or "toy" to fill in any time gaps. People have a harder and harder time dealing with pauses so ummm comes out along with more blabber. It's surely going to put the younger crowd at a disadvantage in bargaining, negotiating and in court. Lol I say this as I browse the internet waiting for the printer to finish.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Your question was "when did this all come about". I was just stating that a "genius" idiot now holds the(formally) most respected job in the world, so don't get your hopes high when speaking with the "general" public.

This all came about when Biff took over the alternate universe and set us on a path of destruction.

We're living in the evil timeline.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, nothing is much different now.... not more than it was 2,000 years ago. About the only difference is, we've advanced far too fast for our species in the last 150 years. No one can deal or cope with how fast things change. That's one part, but the old adage of when a civilization's language breaks down, so does the civilization itself. The collapse is not far away.

DerbyCitySignGuy

No, nothing is much different now.... not more than it was 2,000 years ago. About the only difference is, we've advanced far too fast for our species in the last 150 years. No one can deal or cope with how fast things change. That's one part, but the old adage of when a civilization's language breaks down, so does the civilization itself. The collapse is not far away.

That's a little inaccurate. Language is constantly changing and evolving. Old English and Middle English are illegible to the vast majority of English speakers, but here we are, dude.

equippaint

Farm to table
Very annoying. Every time I hear this it reminds me of a friend I have in the harvesting business that said the laborers didnt like using the porta jons so theyd sit on the edge of the fruit bins and use them as a toilet. I prefer factory packed and processed just because of this.