• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When is it time?

jhd

When do you know if it is time to add a full time employee? After a long and stressful work week and no end in site - this is the question that is on my mind...and I'm wondering what deciding factor made your one person shop into a two + person shop.

binki

+1 on the $35k expense. You need to set some goals on what you want to get out of it and if it doesn't happen you need to either let him go or change your expectation.

kanini

It's also when you find the right person for you and your shop. I was lucky to get my first full-time employee about a year ago. Since she was finishing her education they have a programme where the students come and work for almost "free" to get work experience. This girl was very talented and willing to work hard and did work great, so after the first couple of months there was no doubt it would be right for my shop to add the first employee.
I must admit it was scary at first how to manage to pay salaries etc. but I also find the stress relief worth something. Now I can have her work and don't feel like everything stands still while I'm away visiting customers or something, so the effect of getting your first employee could be more than just the actual work hours they provide. Of course it depends a lot on the person you find, wrong person and you could be up for a disaster (real life horror stories from colleagues...) Maybe you could try to have someone for a short time, let's say a month or two and see how it works out? If it's right, then you feel it's right - if not, you haven't lost a fortune and knows better what to look for in an employee.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
When you finally get a day off, sleep in late and are awakened by your child asking who you are and what are you doing in Mommy's bed - It is time.

wayne k
guam usa

Conor Knoxx

I'm pretty much at the same place myself, and have been for a while... I think there's a lot more to it than just being able to reduce your own hours worked. Generally, if you're that busy on a steady basis you're likely doing all kinds of things to "hurt" your business and cost you money. Jobs that take too long, leads/quotes not followed up on / opportunities that you don't even pursue at all because you're "too busy" right now... not to mention material wasted and mistakes made because you're in a hurry!
You probably don't do any advertising or marketing because "I've already got all the work I can handle"...
An reality, an employee should never be an "expense" but rather an asset you make more money by having there.

Billct2

An alternative to adding an employee is raising prices.
Actually I would like to add another employee but not willing to spend the time and expense. If a truly qualified person sent a resume I'd seriously consider it.