• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When it too much, too much?

Deaton Design

I have this customer, its been two months now trying to get her to decide on an outside wall sign and bizcards. I have done over a dozen color changes, font changes, lettering size changes, then she always goes back to a previous version and then we start again. Same way on the bizcards. This doesnt look right, that doesnt flow well, I dont like that color, then I change it, and she says go back to the color she didnt like, and still, here we sit and it still isnt finalized. She also wanted to come by the shop and sit down until we got it all right, but I told her I dont do things that way.I dont think I have ever had a customer as picky and controlling as this one since I started doing signs. I dont know if she thinks she is a designer, or if she is just not able to make up her mind, but Im about to just let it go. At this point its driving me nuts. What do you guys do with this type of customer?

J

john1

What i have been reading on here for years is shops meet with the customers and do a few sketches, then once the customer likes the direction one sketch is going there are X amount of revisions before others are charged hourly. Really makes them decide more serious instead of walking all over the designer. Time is money.

I have seen your work and i can't imagine anything being less than great :)

Deaton Design

She shoots down basically everything I send her. She makes the font choices, color choices, etc. until really its her design. I dont even like what we have done, but money is money, but its getting to a point...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I charge hourly. You will find very quickly she will become decisive on her options when you charge her $95 per hour to let her sit down with you and design out the cards.

Either that or fire her.

weaselboogie

When I get a customer that can't make up their mind, I'll let them know that I'm going to need to start charging per change. I'm forever amazed how quickly a customer will make up their mind when it's their dime. Let her know that she gets one more change, but after that you'll need to charge X per change or X per hour.

lexsigns

I include a sketch in a quote with X amount of edits ( for signs & vehicles) and then put right on the estimate edits billed @ 65.00 per hour. Same when I do logo quote concepts are X amaount edits billed hourly. They know upfront changes will cost them money.
I had a couple like yours and changed my ways long ago! I like the 25 per change too for small things may add that :)

GypsyGraphics

assuming you there was a deposit.

well miss persnickety, it seems we've exhausted your deposit. would you like to choose from one of the gazillion options to date? if not, we can continue at our hourly rate.

CanuckSigns

sounds to me like too much was many moons ago. next time she requests a change, tell her that you are going to have to start charging for revisons. I also like to make sure I include the revision number in the file name, i.e. Lobby_sign_rev_6.pdf it shows how many times you have had to change things, and puts it in perspective for the client.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Tell her the design process is starting to eat into the funds reserved for the actual production.
With just 3 more edits production options will be limited to a sharpie on a piece of cardboard pulled from the dumpster behind the nearest KFC.

wayne k
guam usa

2B

While each design we send, we tell them you have X number of changes before you have a design fee for additional edits. Have not had one go over yet

binki

Interesting. I've been doing hourly, but I kind of like this for small, easy jobs.

by the time we have the design the $25 change fee is to prevent the nuisance changes although some customers do pay it to 'get things right'. Often times it only takes a few minutes to do the change and the 25 bux makes for a nice margin increaser on the project.

If it is a big change like a re-do we charge an hourly up front fee or walk the customer.

SignosaurusRex

Ya know John, I know you are a very reasonable and good businessman with a real talent and skill. I would assume that you got a deposit, and plenty has already been said about that so I'll not go there. You are also an extremely patient, gentle and caring man and money is money, especially in a tough economy. I think you should arrange to meet with her again...perhaps over coffee . Be gentle (as always)....but FIRM...and explain to her what is happening. "Nothing will be accomplished at this rate. Time is money...Too much time is money lost. You are the professional at her disposal, working to help her be successful and maybe she should put her trust in what you truly feel will fit her needs". Take charge & lead her by the hand (so to speak) if need be. Explain to her what she needs, how why and where. Maybe that's what she wants & needs if she can't make up her own mind. If she can't follow... or at least meet you somewhere in the middle and pony up some funds for your continued time consulting and designing, then gracefully let her know that she may need to seek assistance elsewhere. If she does go elsewhere....I'd bet she will be back in short order wanting to waste no more time. If I loose that bet...you did not need nor want her as a customer and you should not sweat it beyond. She is not the Alpha nor Omega.

heyskull

Just to add my bit!!!
I normally get bored with a job after the fourth or fifth change!
I normally tell clients at about the third change that too make any further changes will incurr into the overall budget of the job.

My latest client wanted a whole new look on her newly acquired premises and after two new designs
I came in yesterday too a note from her now asking for the design of her old premises!!!
Only one problem with this is, the last shop was a proper shop and the new premises is two old 150+ year old sandstone houses knocked through! Also they are on slightly different levels so her original signage will not fit....!
I'm getting bored....... or do I just give her what she wants?

SC

visual800

Its time for her to go. Yes we have all had them. Send them a damn award winning layout (or so we think) and nothing makes them happy I send them on. You have exhausted all layouts and brain cells get rid of her *** and let her be someone elses problem.

Since i dont get deposits it does not take long for me to tire of their crap and I know you do great work so obvioulsy she needs to go to another sign company and get helvetica and times roman in her design

ova

I would stop answering the emails and stop conversing with her altogether. Let her wonder what's going on. After a good cooling down period, she if her design skills have calmed down some.

I go five exchanges thru email. after that, customer has to come in and they get a couple of minutes to seal the deal or they can try another shop.

Dave

Jillbeans

For logo design/bizcards I get paid in full in advance.
I charge $75 per revision for anything after the allotted two revisions.
I would tell her that for her to come in and sit beside you, you charge $100 for 30 minutes.
Sure you may not like what she comes up with, but don't put it in your portfolio.
Love....Jill