• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When it too much, too much?

Marlene

She also wanted to come by the shop and sit down until we got it all right,

there's a sign that I've seen in car repair shops that list the labor that says something like $50 an hour, $100 if you help. I think it applies to us when a customer wants to come in and "help". just tell her that yes, she is welcome to come in but there will be an extra charge of $$$ with a 1 hour minimum and extra if she wants to stay longer. the charge is non-refundable. I have had idiots want to come in and "help" and have charged them for it. they are control freaks with no sense of design but still want to put there print on it as they think they know best. either charge the crap out of her and laugh all the way to the bank or tell her to hit the road.

Joe Diaz

It appears as though this person hasn't hired you for your skills (her loss) but instead has hired you to be her personal software operator... the middle man between HER ideas and the sign or design. We all know these people exist. I get them every once in a while myself. They believe their ego trumps years of experience from a talented sign artists such as yourself John, and I can about guarantee you she pulls the same crap with any type of craftsman she hires.

In my opinion it isn't worth the fight. We charge accordingly for our service and I have a personal rule where I will attempt to steer the project the right way twice... and twice only. The third time that client ignores my expertise, in my mind, that proves to me that they only hired me to move the mouse pointer around on the screen for them. At this point, if I were you I would just have her come in and back seat design. It sucks, but it beats the endless back and forth with a know-it-all. It sounds as though that is what she was expecting and is what she wants. It's her loss. Take her money, finish up the project her way and move on, or as Chef Ramsay says: "shut it down". It's your call.

Deaton Design

She has finally chose to go ahead and has okayed the designs, albeit not actually my designs, but Im just too poor to argue about it. Ill do the work, collect the money, and move on to the next. I thank you all for you excellent advice and how you deal with such things. You know, we need to all get together and write a book about stuff like this. Signs101: How to make it in the sign business and still keep your sanity.:)