Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you outsource, do you tell the customer?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Andy D, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I usually do tell the customer when I plan to outsource a project, because it feels like I'm
    not being honest when I don't, just wondering what others do..

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DM print_design

DM print_design New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Luxembourg
    Normally yes... We prefer to be honest with the client, in case something goes wrong, delivery delayed, etc.
    We say to client that the production is done by a partner, it sounds well to the client.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    We don't keep it a secret. Our in-house projects are generally a really quick turn-around, and vended items will take longer - so there is that. We don't tell them who we are outsourcing too, necessarily.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Yup. I'm not taking the heat if something(or some-thousand-things) is messed up....
    But I am reading every line of my quote five times over to make sure I'm correct!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yeah, I tell them we partner with a vendor who only works with print/sign shops &
    can produce signs cheaper than we can make them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    No. Why should I? I don't discuss how will make things, where the materials come from etc. If someone specifically asks if we do a particular product in house I will be truthful, but why answer questions that aren't asked and don't really matter to the client.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I hope you never cheat on your girlfriend or wife with another woman or man because you are going to get caught.
    So when I buy a new car do I think the salesman is going to tell me he did not make the car?
    I am going to be honest with you, did you fall off the back of a turnip truck?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. DM print_design

DM print_design New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    Luxembourg
    I agree with you... If client asks us about that, we said the true... Otherwise we don't tell him nothing. But it depends of the client and kind of job.

9. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS

10. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    It wouldn't let me make my comment above, not part of the quote?!?!o_O

The reason I feel dishonest is because some customers specifically come to us because they want to buy locally made
    products instead of saving a couple bucks by buying online, & feel it defeats the purpose if I just turn around and buy
    from a wholesaler from another state

11. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I don't outsource, so I can't approach it from that angle, but if I were to outsource, I would make sure that that is known up front.

I have seen where people have mentioned that they don't outsource on their website, but then I'll notice in the forums that they say that they do. If one is caught in a lie like that, I would be thinking what else are they fibbing about?

If you outsource to someone and that other person fubars, you going to tell the client that it was outsourced or are you going to eat the cost (if that vendor charges for another one) and not pass that on to the customer in order to preserve that perception that "you" don't outsource?

I know some clients want to make sure that the buck stops with the person that they are dealing with for a few reasons. But a lot of issues could be avoided if one is just honest upfront.

It looks like you forgot the
    Code:
     [ 
    on the closing quote tag.

12. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    If we outsourced and vendor messed up, we would eat it, regardless if we told the client or not & regardless if the vendor made it right or not.

13. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I find that the only time being honest has bit me in the *** involved me being dishonest prior to that. There's enough lying sign guys in my area.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I did a ton of stickers for a pipeline company. I mean the boxes total probably weighed 300lbs of 2"x2" and 2"x10" stickers, all 3m 180. I forget how much, but 10's of thousands of dollars. I couldn't eat that unless I was going to be eating for a couple of months. (That one in particular I managed to get production samples in time to get sign offs from the customer.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I think this would depend on how much the project was. Even with a decent sized "mistake" nest egg saved up over time, there still are some projects that one cannot just simple "eat it" unless there are huge sacrifices on the other end.

The smaller stuff, sure.

Edit to add: Just like the example from JBurton above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    "If you outsource to someone and that other person fubars, you going to tell the client that it was outsourced or are you going to eat the cost (if that vendor charges for another one) and not pass that on to the customer in order to preserve that perception that "you" don't outsource?"

Of course I am going to eat the cost, or my vendor is...no different than if I screw up something myself.

"the reason I feel dishonest is because some customers specifically come to us because they want to buy locally made
    products instead of saving a couple bucks by buying online,"

I don't think I have ever had a client say that they want to "buy locally made products", a few times they have said they'd rather deal with a local business than buy online, but that has little to do with where the product is made and more about knowing you have a place to go to and a person to talk to if there are problems. And they are still supporting a local business and the local economy. And the line between what is local and what is outsourced can get a little blurry. Do you tell someone you are buying the letters for their sign from Gemini, not making them in house? Or for those that outsource some digital printing that the wrap you are putting on their van was made somewhere else? How many small sign shops print yard signs inhouse?

17. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Did the vendor mess up, but the customer approved it? If so, that's on them...

18. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Maybe it's because they really push "buy local" around here, but I hear it all the time.

No, not Gemini.... but if it makes sense pricewise, I would much rather focus on design and quoting than losing part of the day making a dozen banners, coroplast yard signs,
    parking lot signs, ect.

19. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh no, not an example of a mistake. We pulled the job off and I felt kinda shady taking home the markup, but a good example of a potentially crippling outsourced cost to eat.

20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We sell Wet Okole seat covers from the Wet Okole Hawaii company.
    They sort of sound like they are made in Hawaii. It ruins the presentation if we tell our customers they are made in Costa Mesa Ca. by Spanish people.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1