• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where do you get your ink?

Wildpony

I prefer to stick with the OEM inks, I know that they work and do not want to risk anything with my equipment. How much are people saving with 3rd party inks, 5 or 10 cents a square foot? It just doesn't seem worth it compared to the reliability of the OEM inks.

MVIP

Im not trying to be a$$ here.........

But if your going to fuss over the price you have to pay for the Ink your not charging enough.........I use Mutoh ink in my VJ and I will never use anything else.....I charge my customers for the ink......I don't pay for it myself.......

Would I like to pay less.....Well heck yea but right now I don't see the savings of going with any other ink but original Mutoh (Epson)..........

:goodpost:

Stealth Ryder

Mutoh/Epson Inks all the way...... Using anything else will degrade the life of the Print Head and other parts. Ink and media cost what, about a dollar a foot... We are charging at a minimum 8-10 times that!!! Thats a healthy profit...

Imagewerx

I bought a bulk ink system for my Valuejet from Fieldcenter U.S.A. and am very happy with it. I'm saving a ridiculous amount of money. A litre of Eco-solvent ink from them is a mere $80 - practically the price of 1 single 220ml OEM cart. I was using Nazdar 3rd party carts for a couple of years which I was happy with and saved a few bucks over OEM but going bulk is the way to go if you want to save big and put more dollars in your pocket. Found I didn't have to reprofile nor flush the lines. Going bulk also allows me to be more competitive and get more aggressive in my quoting if need be knowing that I have more room to move and be more competitive. Also, if I get a heavy coverage job now, it doesn't even phase me.

Biker Scout

OEM Ink ($66 per cartridge, average) = $1125 per gallon!
1ml of OEM ink is roughly .30¢
1 Gallon = 3785 ml
17 Cartridges 220ml (approx) = 1 Gallon

3rd Party Liter Ink ($80 per liter) = $303 per gallon!
1ml of 3rd Party in is roughly .08¢
3.79 bottles 1 liter = 1 Gallon

The savings is there. However, there is a higher back end cost of printer maintenance to take into account.

The only number I can't figure out is how many sq. in. 1ml of ink will cover, on average?

Biker Scout

Yeah, I have that chart... but I want to know more, technically speaking, how large of an area will 1ml of ink cover a solid square. Just one color, say Magenta. If the printer was loaded with glossy vinyl, and only had 1ml of ink, what's the largest square it could print at the 720x720 bi-directional with wave pattern on?

I know some profiles use more ink than others, but saying it was set to minimal ink limits, just enough to get a solid.

P

ProWraps™

we run only factory mutoh ink. we will run nothing else. as it has been stated here many times before... if ink cost is a factor in your business, your not doing something right. we go through about 20 carts a month (biker, i have a box for you of empties).

msenjur

we've used 3rd party inks, and we ruin 1 head on our printer. so, now we are back on original. not to mention, that colors were not ok. We should change all our icc profiles... that is a cost too...
But they were 50% cheaper than original. now we are paying for originals 440ml 120€...

randya

OEM Ink ($66 per cartridge, average) = $1125 per gallon!
1ml of OEM ink is roughly .30¢
1 Gallon = 3785 ml
17 Cartridges 220ml (approx) = 1 Gallon

3rd Party Liter Ink ($80 per liter) = $303 per gallon!
1ml of 3rd Party in is roughly .08¢
3.79 bottles 1 liter = 1 Gallon

The savings is there. However, there is a higher back end cost of printer maintenance to take into account.

The only number I can't figure out is how many sq. in. 1ml of ink will cover, on average?

If you look at the two examples: http://www.mutoh.com/pdf/VJ12041604InkCostStudy.pdf

You have 6.09 mils for 11.25 sq.ft. which works out to 0.541 mil per sq.ft.

And 13.68 mils of ink for 11.25 sq.ft. which works out to 1.216 mil per sq.ft.

which averages out to 0.879 mil per sq.ft. for this Glossy Vinyl Profile on Vinyl.

I know this is not exactly what you are asking for, but is at least a reference point.