• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where is Digital Flames' Barry ?

B Snyder

I purchased a digital flames DVD collection from Barry on 3/19.
I've PM'd Barry on multiple sign forums, sent emails and left a voice mail message but still no replies from Barry and no DVD in my mailbox.

Does anyone know if he's ok? or if he is away when he'll be back?

B Snyder

I ordered a DVD from digital flames on the 19th (posted to my Visa acct on the 20th) and it wasn't shipped until the 27th (i've been told, no proof of shipment as been received). I was just told that it's posted on their website that "2 business weeks is the shipping time that we promise." I haven't been able to find where this info is posted. Can someone help me find it?
The project I intended to use the collection for has been lost and I'll no longer need the DVD but Barry won't allow me to return it for a refund. If I can't return it or resolve it through a chargeback it'll be sold here.

jhines1284

did you need more then one flame set to complete the job? he does offer individuals for purchase that enable direct download from his site. sorry you lost the job though.

B Snyder

did you need more then one flame set to complete the job? he does offer individuals for purchase that enable direct download from his site. sorry you lost the job though.

Thanks j. Yes I did. He did offer and even attempted to post 2 of the files on his server for me to download them from. Unfortunately, these files were corrupted, or as Barry worded it, "were definitely chopped." I was not able to use them. I wasn't able to communicate with Barry for 6 days. I understand he had an important matter to attend to and I am sympathetic but it doesn't change the fact that I didn't receive the artwork that I needed and all I want is a refund. It was made abundantly clear that I needed the DVD quickly. I was refused a refund (I don't even have the DVD yet...it was actually finally shipped AFTER I asked to cancel the order!) so a chargeback case has been opened. I've furnished Visa with everything they requested and as long as I refuse the shipment if/when it arrives I've been assured the decision will be in my favor.
Also, the tracking info I received for the item shows that it was "accepted at 4:05 PM on March 28, 2008" so although I was told it was sent out on March 27th it didn't actually get out until today.
As always, caveat emptor.

Master's Touch

Brian knows that I did my best to provide him with images on the day he ordered the collection. As for me shipping it after he requested a refund, that is just untrue. He wanted it sent next day, (which in hindsight I should've have taken the initiative to do that myself) but I had already sent it priority. It was only then that he demanded a total refund.

What he failed to mention is that my wife was sick with pneumonia for the last several days, and I have been tending to her, unable to even make it into the office.

I was available on the day he ordered, as well as the 20th and the 21st. If he had a problem after the initial download attempt, he never attempted to let me know about via any means.

I have apologized to him several times, and I gladly do it again, here.

SO whatever ....but it does beg the question...why is he bringing this up in public?

animenick65

Have you thought about an automated delivery system Barry? You are dealing with businesses in an area that can be time sensitive.

Replicator

Unfortunately bashing merchant members in the public arena

seems to have become the norm around here lately . . .

Master's Touch

Brian, if it says it went out today...all I can say is that's the USPS for you...

Anime...if we did enough volume I would definitely consider it. But heck we're just a mom and pop sign shop! This stuff is just a sideline!

The Sign Dude

Unfortunately bashing merchant members in the public arena

seems to have become the norm around here lately . . .

Maybe its unjustified sometimes but most of the time it helps. a refund seems reasonable. Its not like hes returning open goods.

Sorry to hear that about your wife barry. I hope she is better now. Keep us posted.

B Snyder

SIGNPROOFPRO.....
I've not bashed anyone on these forums. I've only stated an account of the transaction. Merchants need to take the good reviews with the bad.

Barry....
Its not my place to mention your wife's illness. I thought it was sufficient to state "I understand he had an important matter to attend to and I am sympathetic..."

I can post the chronological order of the complete transaction to prove that you did send the DVD out AFTER I requested a refund.

If you were available on the 20th and 21st why wasn't my DVD sent?
Barry has stated "I have not failed to deliver the product to you in the time
guaranteed on the website. 2 business weeks is the shipping time that we
promise. We have not surpassed that."

This is completely unacceptable even if it actually was stated on his website. Its not.

On the 21st I emailed you. No reply.
On the 24th I called. Left a message. No return call.
On the 25th I PM'd you through this site and PrintingDigital.net. No replies. On the 25th I started this thread.
On the 26th you wrote "Sorry guy, my wife came down with pneumonia, and I haven’t been in the office all week. I will get your DVD out tomorrow. I apologize for the delay."
I immediately replied with a request for overnight shipping.
On the 27th I didn't receive a reply so I wrote again at 3:30pm. No reply.
At 8pm I emailed to ask to have the order canceled. I then immediately received a reply that the DVD went out that day. I've asked for a tracking # 3 times since then and only finally received one at 5:45pm today. It now shows that the package was received by his local post office at 4pm today (Friday the 28th).
TRACK

Autografxx- I can't return something I don't have.

FWIW, I paid a flat rate shipping charge of $14.95 so it could be shipped "Best Way." I'm eager to see what $14.95 gets you.

Master's Touch

Regardless of what the post office says, it was given to them on the 27th. Now, our post office is a rural one, and it is entirely possible it did not enter their system until today. But even COUNTING today...you are talking about seven business days.

Granted, it is not a good time frame--I admit...but we did have legitimate mitigating circumstances.

It all boils down to this: is seven to ten business days too long to wait?

This customer asked for me to get it to him asap, to which I offered and supplied an FTP site to get the files he needed that day. We did have some trouble (the files were truncated because the first upload was interrupted). He emailed me to let me know this and I fixed the files, downloading them to another computer to make certain they worked fine. I emailed him to let him know that the files were available, and I heard nothing about them "not working" until today.

Question...if he needed them so bad, why did he fail to let me know that he couldn't make them work?

Last edited:

iSign

Barry and Brian are both guys I've known for many years, spoke with, and written to both several times. Good guys, I trust!

On this one, I would have to suggest the refund to be appropriate.

Mitigating circumstances suck... family illness... chopped files, interrupted downloads, "that's USPS for you"... etc. etc... I think with that much crap going on (not to mention the recent Tornado)...well, this WILL take a toll on a business... but things WILL turn around too!

To me, when the mitigating circumstances are mine, I would prefer to lose a little business today, rather than lose a customer... and that's even if it was in private... but in our little on-line community, (which is where the connection was made, so a reasonable place to resolve it IMO)... I'd refund it, and I'd refund it fast.

This thread will have a value greater than that of one CD. The question is if that "value" continues to look like a "cost"... or if it can be turned into a benefit. I think it could.

By the way, I bought Digital Flames Vol. 1 and it paid for itself on each of the 3 jobs I've used it on. I'll be putting together a proof with some serious flame action on it this next week... much to the surprise of my client who will only be expecting hot rod style flames. I really hope he goes for the digital flames. I'll post it if he does.

Hey Brian, as a compromising offer, would you consider offering to pay the single-file price for the 2 you tried to DL, if Barry takes back the DVD, and ensures that you get the files correctly? I think that would be a win-win... because while you may have lost this job... it's hard to sell something you ain't got... but invest in a little upfront, and you will enjoy it, and most likely profit from it. (I know I did)

I think Barry would see that compromise as a great opportunity to get you more interested in future purchases too!

Master's Touch

Doug, that's a fine idea..I have no issue at all with that. I'd be more than happy to refund him the DVD price less the cost of the downloads.

Deaton Design

Very wisely thought out Doug.
Next time I have a customer conflict, Ill call you to help me hash it out.:)
This is a good compromise. Sorry to repeat you Bill.:)

Replicator

All's well that ends well . . . ?

If B Snyder agrees to that compromise, and I think it's a fair one too . . . !