• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where's Gino & Johnny Best been??

DerbyCitySignGuy

You do realize, I haven't been posting in over a month and still the same dumb stupid arguments, slap in the faces and silly nonsense was/is still going on. In fact, YOU were even banned (verboten) for a short time. I have no need to listen to your high level of bullsh!t, so try to keep your dumb comments to yourself, unless you can moderate your tone a tad.

Quoth the pot.

Johnny Best

Leave the job of moderation of who says what to the moderators. I for one can't believe all this needs to be spelled out to an 80 year old man who appears completely tone deaf to the fact that the new guidelines were mostly put in place because of your inability to accept responsibility for policing your own posts. Your posts in this thread alone prove the points I and others have been making about you for years. It may be hard to accept, but maybe it might not be the rest of us, it could be you who doesn't fit in or doesn't have much of value to offer if the only way you can offer anything is through derision, insults and put downs.

I haven't mentioned you or anyone else personally in over a month and don't intend to beyond this statement. Not a single post of mine since the new rules were implemented has been removed. I'm monitoring everything to make sure we are ALL held to the same standard.

You don't like what I or anyone else posts? Then grow up, ignore it, don't respond to it, etc. You have no right to discourage me or anyone else from posting or falsely reporting anything someone else posts as something that runs counter to the new guidelines unless it does. You don't like this, take it up with management.

I visit the site nearly every day and haven't seen an argument or insulting comment in over a month that wasn't nipped in the bud almost immediately by a moderator. Coincidence that its the same amount of time you weren't posting? NOPE.

I wasn't "banned" for so much as a day. You think I don't pay attention?

Was I placed in a select group of members whose posts will be moderated for content before they are posted? YES and I agreed to it. I walk my talk and am happy to abide by the rules as stated by the management. Its a shame you can't seem to do the same.

Obviously, you don't like what you read from enough other members that perhaps this message board isn't a good use of your time. The upside of that is that there are no shortage of other groups you could offer all your expertise and pointed opinions to.

Dear Diary.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Leave the job of moderation of who says what to the moderators. I for one can't believe all this needs to be spelled out to an 80 year old man who appears completely tone deaf to the fact that the new guidelines were mostly put in place because of your inability to accept responsibility for policing your own posts. Your posts in this thread alone prove the points I and others have been making about you for years. It may be hard to accept, but maybe it might not be the rest of us, it could be you who doesn't fit in or doesn't have much of value to offer if the only way you can offer anything is through derision, insults and put downs.

I haven't mentioned you or anyone else personally in over a month and don't intend to beyond this statement. Not a single post of mine since the new rules were implemented has been removed. I'm monitoring everything to make sure we are ALL held to the same standard.

You don't like what I or anyone else posts? Then grow up, ignore it, don't respond to it, etc. You have no right to discourage me or anyone else from posting or falsely reporting anything someone else posts as something that runs counter to the new guidelines unless it does. You don't like this, take it up with management.

I visit the site nearly every day and haven't seen an argument or insulting comment in over a month that wasn't nipped in the bud almost immediately by a moderator. Coincidence that its the same amount of time you weren't posting? NOPE.

I wasn't "banned" for so much as a day. You think I don't pay attention?

Was I placed in a select group of members whose posts will be moderated for content before they are posted? YES and I agreed to it. I walk my talk and am happy to abide by the rules as stated by the management. Its a shame you can't seem to do the same.

Obviously, you don't like what you read from enough other members that perhaps this message board isn't a good use of your time. The upside of that is that there are no shortage of other groups you could offer all your expertise and pointed opinions to.

Seriously....... are you for real ??

80, huh, that's the new 50.​

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
I only asked a simple question, then I see that the topic got moved to the Humor section..
mfatty500 - You posted this thread in the public forums as a means of starting shit! It was not merely a 'simple question' - So let's not act as if we're oblivious okay.
And honestly - If it hadn't been for this Humor section - the post would have been simply deleted from public view, with you having been sent a warning about inciting BS in an inappropriate part of the forum!

Thanks for understanding.

All I'm seeing is the ownership and moderators taking a much needed stance on enforcing their guidelines and refusing to let the inmates run the asylum. By holding people's posting privileges in the balance if they post inflammatory, insulting, threatening, overtly condescending, off topic responses, the site obviously is making an effort to improve its PROFESSIONALISM and encourage mutual respect and collegiality among its members. The question is can the worst offenders improve THEIR professionalism?

If certain members myself included can't improve our impulse control and find more constructive ways to express ourselves, we'll be forced into silence or expulsion. The probationary period of some of us having our posts moderated before posting is a long time in coming.

Expecting a couple of the most active members to moderate their tone and limit their invective towards others seems like a reasonable demand from the management. Play along or find somewhere else to vent one's spleen.
Thanks TimToad - You've stated exactly what we are trying to do. And it's proven to be a bit of a difficult task with only 4 people moderating the forum of 1000s of members with 100s of posts being made weekly. But indeed we are trying to improve the overall environment here. And to a certain extent - we have accomplished that, as there is much less drama in the open forums as there had been. It's a work-in-progress and we certainly appreciate your cooperation and willingness to accept our new posting policy. We certainly hope other members will be as cooperative, which we most certainly expect will help improve the professionalism level and alleviate the member-on-member animus throughout the entire site.

As for your question about the 'worst offenders' ... Your tone with this post is exactly the improvement we're looking for.
So thanks for understanding the directive we're trying to promote in our attempt to make Signs101 the community we believe it can be: "a place which encourages mutual respect and collegiality among its members" as you so appropriately stated.

You do realize, I haven't been posting in over a month and still the same dumb stupid arguments, slap in the faces and silly nonsense was/is still going on. In fact, YOU were even banned (verboten) for a short time. I have no need to listen to your high level of bullsh!t, so try to keep your dumb comments to yourself, unless you can moderate your tone a tad.
THIS is the sordid tone that we're hoping to prevent in the open forums.
It's not so difficult to comprehend - right?... Eh... You can do better Gino

Your posts in this thread alone prove the points I and others have been making about you for years. It may be hard to accept, but maybe it might not be the rest of us, it could be you who doesn't fit in or doesn't have much of value to offer if the only way you can offer anything is through derision, insults and put downs.

Nicely stated...
At the end of the day though - if you cannot get along with so-and-so - then you go to the other side of the room, while so-and-so is at the opposite side of the room. Ignore each other or something. I mean... Isn't this something we were taught in grade school?: "You don't have to like me - but please be respectful of my existence and I'll be respectful of yours...?" Come on fellas... Can't we all just get along? Or do we need to take it to the yard and sling it out like Neanderthals would do? :D

At anyrate - I'm glad some of you get what Signs101 Administration and Moderating Team is trying to accomplish.
We appreciate your cooperation. Thanks!

SignsSupport

Johnny Best

It starts in grade school.
teacher's pet.jpg

Johnny Best

That is the way the teacher reacts when you drop your food on the floor during lunch every day, and then make a big deal out of it and want us all to look at what you did.

Johnny Best

Why is it that the guard is allowed to make "passive aggressive" remarks to us but we can not reciprocate.
Sounds like we have a "failure to communicate". I am just reacting to the ugly and contemptuous tone that is directed towards myself and others.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Come on....we were acting like this way longer than before Trump made it popular...

Now it's legit.....right?

equippaint

Why is it that the guard is allowed to make "passive aggressive" remarks to us but we can not reciprocate.
Sounds like we have a "failure to communicate". I am just reacting to the ugly and contemptuous tone that is directed towards myself and others.
Don't be snarky, you will earn yourself a seat in the corner. It's clear as day in the etiquette handbook chapter 8 paragraph 12 subsection 3.

signman315

Signmaker
Also, I think the word "PROFESSIONAL" should be taken out of the name of this place. It's nothing more than a glorified hack shop.
Isn't a large part of the purpose of this site to put the best and the worst in the same room as to learn from each other? So naturally wouldn't there be a lot of "hacks" (aka people growing and working hard to get better, which by the way is where we ALL started) on this site? And so wouldn't those of us who claim to be the most talented be the ones who should be coaching said "hacks" the most, instead of getting butt hurt about them? This silliness really puts a stain on all of us in the sign industry as professionals and human beings...I'm curious if other industries are populated by people like this? And what outsiders would say if they read these forums and watched us pissing away our(myself included as of this post) time on anything but productive interactions? I came here to learn and pass on what I've learned, regardless of my talent level. A "hack" is just someone trying to get a job done with limited resources and knowledge, so help them get that knowledge/resources and perhaps they'll not be a "hack" anymore and all of our butts will hurt a little less. True hacks don't even give a crap to better themselves and aren't likely to be searching forums for help or answers, and so one could argue that it's pretty unlikely to find a genuine hack on this site. The aliens are pointing and laughing at us right now lol...with all due respect of course.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Isn't a large part of the purpose of this site to put the best and the worst in the same room as to learn from each other? So naturally wouldn't there be a lot of "hacks" (aka people growing and working hard to get better, which by the way is where we ALL started) on this site? And so wouldn't those of us who claim to be the most talented be the ones who should be coaching said "hacks" the most, instead of getting butt hurt about them? This silliness really puts a stain on all of us in the sign industry as professionals and human beings...I'm curious if other industries are populated by people like this? And what outsiders would say if they read these forums and watched us pissing away our(myself included as of this post) time on anything but productive interactions? I came here to learn and pass on what I've learned, regardless of my talent level. A "hack" is just someone trying to get a job done with limited resources and knowledge, so help them get that knowledge/resources and perhaps they'll not be a "hack" anymore and all of our butts will hurt a little less. True hacks don't even give a crap to better themselves and aren't likely to be searching forums for help or answers, and so one could argue that it's pretty unlikely to find a genuine hack on this site. The aliens are pointing and laughing at us right now lol...with all due respect of course.

Well said. However, you missed the point as many others have, both present and past.

You bet, I wanna help anyone who is willing to help themselves. The people who come here and just take... take... take are in my opinion, the hacks. Those who ask questions and interact with the rest of the village here are who I wanna help. They ask, they come back for more and they don't give lip service. They truly wanna learn. When you were in school, did pupils talk back and tell the teachers off without some kinda detention or a smack ?? Did they put the 1st graders in with the 10th graders ??

You can describe your hack anyway you want, but I did not start out as a hack. I started out like a sponge and watched, mimicked and tried everything I could, until I could do whatever was offered and soaked it all up.

The people who puff out their chests and just bellow out words and go on and on and on.... are not helping, but just showing off. They wanna sound like their helping, but 98% of the time, it's only their ego they're trying to boost.

I don't see the silliness in this at all, not one bit. Sure, I will have fun in certain threads and call a spade a spade, but if someone is serious, I will take all the time in the world to get through to that one person. I've befriended quite a few of them. You would not believe the network that has formed behind the scenes of this place. It's tremendous and we all help each other and give encouragement which is not seen within these walls, anymore.

As for outsiders looking in..... who give's a danged about what an outsider thinks ?? This is my business and my craft, not some outsiders. I treat people how I wanna be treated. I only give what I get from someone and if they don't offer up enough, I inquire and depending on the interest is how I'll respond.

I never came here to be popular or liked by anyone, but to help what I thought was fellow sign guys and gals. I don't care about your background, your shop, your level of expertise or much anything else, but when it's all over, I'd like to sit down and have some drinks with ya. Well, believe me, I've met many of those people over the years and some still come to our shop and some even come to my home and stay for a while. I'm all about spreading the word and the industry, but you must wanna do it.

signman315

Signmaker
Well said. However, you missed the point as many others have, both present and past.

You bet, I wanna help anyone who is willing to help themselves. The people who come here and just take... take... take are in my opinion, the hacks. Those who ask questions and interact with the rest of the village here are who I wanna help. They ask, they come back for more and they don't give lip service. They truly wanna learn. When you were in school, did pupils talk back and tell the teachers off without some kinda detention or a smack ?? Did they put the 1st graders in with the 10th graders ??

You can describe your hack anyway you want, but I did not start out as a hack. I started out like a sponge and watched, mimicked and tried everything I could, until I could do whatever was offered and soaked it all up.

The people who puff out their chests and just bellow out words and go on and on and on.... are not helping, but just showing off. They wanna sound like their helping, but 98% of the time, it's only their ego they're trying to boost.

I don't see the silliness in this at all, not one bit. Sure, I will have fun in certain threads and call a spade a spade, but if someone is serious, I will take all the time in the world to get through to that one person. I've befriended quite a few of them. You would not believe the network that has formed behind the scenes of this place. It's tremendous and we all help each other and give encouragement which is not seen within these walls, anymore.

As for outsiders looking in..... who give's a danged about what an outsider thinks ?? This is my business and my craft, not some outsiders. I treat people how I wanna be treated. I only give what I get from someone and if they don't offer up enough, I inquire and depending on the interest is how I'll respond.

I never came here to be popular or liked by anyone, but to help what I thought was fellow sign guys and gals. I don't care about your background, your shop, your level of expertise or much anything else, but when it's all over, I'd like to sit down and have some drinks with ya. Well, believe me, I've met many of those people over the years and some still come to our shop and some even come to my home and stay for a while. I'm all about spreading the word and the industry, but you must wanna do it.
I feel you Gino, but if/when I help anyone I'm not caring about any returns or lip service I help them because they need help not because I need my ego stroked. Help is only help if it's free, otherwise it's a trade. And I'm sure you've helped and will help out many in your days, but to call a spade a spade I've been coming to this website for a few years now and unfortunately haven't learned anything signage related from you...not because you aren't willing/capable but because you get sucked into the child's play around here and end up just arguing with folks, which is unfortunate as I'm sure you have a lot to offer. I think if the 1st and 10th graders were in the same room it would be of great benefit...there are facilities that teach in unorthodox ways that are highly successful. But the 10th graders have to have a little extra patience to help out the next generation of "hacks" or "sponges" (same difference in this case). Successful and talented people are built on the shoulders of those who came before them, and if talents/skills aren't passed onto the next generation we only have ourselves to blame. And we should all care to some degree about how our industry and the people in it are perceived, perception is essentially the business we are in. Not caring is the first step to stagnation. It is OUR business, it is OUR craft, not just your's or any other single individual's, and everyone involved leaves their mark on it...are you part of the solution or part of the problem? I fear you may be complacently falling in the latter. All of your gripes are dead accurate, but I'm not sure the point of voicing them or who it helps. Lead by example perhaps? I've been avoiding responding to many of your posts for about a year now, and I finally succumbed...because I think you are intelligent, well spoken and have a lot to offer, but unfortunately I've yet to see the fruits of it. I can tell you actually care, regardless of what you say, it's evident. I just wish you could translate that into something functional for us little people out here. I've broken my own rule by getting into a discussion like this and for that I apologize to everyone on this site looking for help on real signage related issues. With that said I'm not sure my rant has a place either, and so I will excuse myself from any more of this conversation. Best wishes for you Gino!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Out of my deepest respect, I cannot follow your back & forthness of your entire post. Talk later after you've had time to think.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
I am just reacting to the ugly and contemptuous tone that is directed towards myself and others.
No. You're just trying to be funny.
And in the process - you've managed to insult a few members. Ha!
Great job man..

I feel you Gino, but if/when I help anyone I'm not caring about any returns or lip service I help them because they need help not because I need my ego stroked. Help is only help if it's free, otherwise it's a trade. And I'm sure you've helped and will help out many in your days, but to call a spade a spade I've been coming to this website for a few years now and unfortunately haven't learned anything signage related from you...not because you aren't willing/capable but because you get sucked into the child's play around here and end up just arguing with folks, which is unfortunate as I'm sure you have a lot to offer. I think if the 1st and 10th graders were in the same room it would be of great benefit...there are facilities that teach in unorthodox ways that are highly successful. But the 10th graders have to have a little extra patience to help out the next generation of "hacks" or "sponges" (same difference in this case). Successful and talented people are built on the shoulders of those who came before them, and if talents/skills aren't passed onto the next generation we only have ourselves to blame. And we should all care to some degree about how our industry and the people in it are perceived, perception is essentially the business we are in. Not caring is the first step to stagnation. It is OUR business, it is OUR craft, not just your's or any other single individual's, and everyone involved leaves their mark on it...are you part of the solution or part of the problem? I fear you may be complacently falling in the latter. All of your gripes are dead accurate, but I'm not sure the point of voicing them or who it helps. Lead by example perhaps? I've been avoiding responding to many of your posts for about a year now, and I finally succumbed...because I think you are intelligent, well spoken and have a lot to offer, but unfortunately I've yet to see the fruits of it. I can tell you actually care, regardless of what you say, it's evident. I just wish you could translate that into something functional for us little people out here. I've broken my own rule by getting into a discussion like this and for that I apologize to everyone on this site looking for help on real signage related issues. With that said I'm not sure my rant has a place either, and so I will excuse myself from any more of this conversation. Best wishes for you Gino!

Best Posts of The Day Award goes to signman315
Thank you for such eloquent and much-need words. Your posts are quite brilliant and exactly on point.

This particular section (Entertainment, Humor and Spoofs) is meant for off-topic type discussions like this. It is a section that will not be moderated as the rest of the forum. A free-for-all of sorts - so there's no need to excuse yourself from the conversation. Personally - I believe your posts to be the most encouraging and absolutely right-on that I've seen on Signs101 in a good long while. I only hope that some members can wake up, snap out of it, and fully appreciate what you've taken the time to say here. If they love the Signs101 community as they insist that they do - then they will heed your words and appreciate exactly where you're coming from with your insightful commentary.

Thanks for that!

SignsSupport

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

This is like a sign with too many words... my brain takes one look at the massive blob of ranting text and just "gives up"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph