• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which OS to get???

wmshuman

I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit using flexi 8.1 in compatibility mode with no issues. As Signburst said it is not supported from flexi but it works just fine. I built my new machine not long ago and went with the AMD 8120 8 core processor with 16 GB Ram on an ASUS Evo board with OC running processor at 4.0 Ghz and running ram in 1866 xmp mode. Installed a Samsung SSD and a 2GB video card running HDMI it is a very fast system for running Corel and Flexi.

Thank You!!! That's exactly what I needed to hear.

wmshuman

I believe that you are getting Compatibility Mode and XP Mode mixed up here. A 64-bit operating system is a 64-bit operating system. Windows 7 can be purchased either in 32-bit or 64-bit versions, though most commonly it is now installed as 64-bit. Some 32-bit programs have no problem being installed in a 64-bit environment, but others just don't play nice and require a 32-bit OS. Flexi 8.1 is not supported on 64-bit OS, but it's not supported anymore period. I have heard of others running it in a 64-bit OS, just as Williams Signs has stated.

Windows XP Mode is an add-in that can be installed in the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and simply acts as a virtual machine with Windows XP running for access to old applications that will not run on newer operating systems. This XP Mode ran in Windows Virtual PC which is a very simple and low-resource intensive virtualization utility that is rather limited in its capabilities and feature sets but pretty simple for people to figure out at least. There are many newer and better options out there now. Windows 8 Professional can likewise have Hyper-V installed, which is their enterprise level virtualization environment to run much more powerful and flexible virtual machines from Windows XP, Linux, and even Mac OSX. This is free for anyone running the Professional version of Windows 8. Personally, this is one of the greatest things I love about Windows 8. You can actually set up a fully virtual server system running on Windows 8 or Server 2008/2012 and move virtual machines back and forth with ease. What this means for small businesses is that if their primary server goes down, while they are running a Windows virtual machine, that VM can be copied over to any Windows 8 Professional computer in their network, turn on, and be up and going without hardly any downtime. No need for an expensive backup server or additional licensing.

Thank you for clearing that up. If I can't get flexi to run on the 64 bit, I can use virtualization software to run XP again and load it from there. I do the same thing on my iMac to run XP while running Snow Leopard.

1robbie

windows 7 with flexi 10.3

Does anyone know of any problems with windows 7 pro and 10.3? I installed all my stuff on the new computer an dnow get the BSOD.
Downloaded the drivers from Mimaki so they should be the latest. Going to start removing programs and go from there.

choucove

Does anyone know of any problems with windows 7 pro and 10.3? I installed all my stuff on the new computer an dnow get the BSOD.
Downloaded the drivers from Mimaki so they should be the latest. Going to start removing programs and go from there.

A BSOD can be caused by so many various things it can be difficult to narrow down without more details. One thing that sometimes works, though, is try running your computer for a while in Safe Mode. Often times if it is a hardware issue you may continue to get freezes, crashes, and BSOD even in Safe Mode. If it is a software issue the BSOD will often not happen in Safe Mode because the extra drivers, services, and programs aren't running in the background.