• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which OS to get???

wmshuman

Hello. I am thinking of buying a new computer. Specs are 3.4 Intel i7 3770, 240GB SSD Drive, 1 TB 7200 Drive, 2GB AMD 7770 DDR5, 24 GB 1600 MHz Ram, etc.

Anyways, I have the option to get Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Pro, or Windows 7 Ultimate. Which should I get?

Here's my dilemma. Currently I use an iMac with virtualization software running Windows XP so I can run Flexi 8.1. I do not plan on upgrading Flexi as I hardly use it unless I print something that needs contoured and hopefully not using it altogether in the near future. Will any of the above three OS work with Flexi 8.1? My first choice would be Windows 7 Ultimate but I am unsure of compatibly issues considering my XP machine is 32 bit and W7U is 64 bit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

SignBurst PCs

I wouldn't run v8.1 on anything 64 Bit (v8.5 was the first that was OK).

Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time, it has bad issues and is not supported at all.

That being said, I like both Win 7 and Win 8, but 7 is an easier learning curve and is what almost all of my customers are getting. The new Flexi Cloud supports both 7 and 8.

WildWestDesigns

Win 7 all the way. I wouldn't run Win 8.

I have a feeling, and this is just me speculating, that Win 7 is going to be the "new" XP. Although it is very much better then XP ever was, but I didn't like XP when it was new.

m giese

I built two almost identical systems in december/January to what you are looking at, except the ssd drive. My wife insisted on latest greatest WIN 8 (didn't learn her lesson when she insisted on Vista, thought that would have sunk in by now) It is the same processor as what you spec'd and both running 16GB ram We put the 500GB raptor drive in both of them as the primary drive

The WIN 7 PRO 64 Machine is problem free

The Win 8 Machine has issues daily.

After a lot of research on performance degradation over time with the ssd drives, we elected to install the raptor drives as primary drives. When they work out the performance degradation on the SSD drives, They will be awesome, I personally felt the ssd drives are a little ahead of their time...

WIN 7 PRO VS Ultimate - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01

Memory:
32 bit Max Ram 4 GB, out of which comes your system overhead, including video card ram, so if you install a 2gb vid card, you will be left with aprox 1.5 GB of usable ram
64 Bit Max Ram 192GB, Your real limitation on this will be your hardware, and wallet.

Cannot speak to any of the software compatability issues

- Mark

wmshuman

I wouldn't run v8.1 on anything 64 Bit (v8.5 was the first that was OK).

Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time, it has bad issues and is not supported at all.

That being said, I like both Win 7 and Win 8, but 7 is an easier learning curve and is what almost all of my customers are getting. The new Flexi Cloud supports both 7 and 8.

Yeah I thought that may be an issue but like I said, I rarely use Flexi and do not plan on upgrading. I mainly use Rasterlink Pro 5 with the Mimaki and Versaworks with my Roland. I only use Flexi when I need to print on my Mimaki but contour cut on my Roland. Currently trying to figure out other options to keep Flexi out of the scenario. Any ideas?

Do you know if Rasterlink Pro 5 and Versaworks can be run on 64 bit without issues?

wmshuman

I built two almost identical systems in december/January to what you are looking at, except the ssd drive. My wife insisted on latest greatest WIN 8 (didn't learn her lesson when she insisted on Vista, thought that would have sunk in by now) It is the same processor as what you spec'd and both running 16GB ram We put the 500GB raptor drive in both of them as the primary drive

The WIN 7 PRO 64 Machine is problem free

The Win 8 Machine has issues daily.

After a lot of research on performance degradation over time with the ssd drives, we elected to install the raptor drives as primary drives. When they work out the performance degradation on the SSD drives, They will be awesome, I personally felt the ssd drives are a little ahead of their time...

WIN 7 PRO VS Ultimate - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01

Memory:
32 bit Max Ram 4 GB, out of which comes your system overhead, including video card ram, so if you install a 2gb vid card, you will be left with aprox 1.5 GB of usable ram
64 Bit Max Ram 192GB, Your real limitation on this will be your hardware, and wallet.

Cannot speak to any of the software compatability issues

- Mark

My neighbor has almost an exact setup but with the 128GB SSD and his boot time from the time you press the button is approximately 7 seconds. That's fast.

Anyways, I was told that 7 Pro and Ultimate can run 32 bit applications without problems because they have a 32 bit layer embedded into the 64 bit design. I'm actually hearing two different but similar situations. First is what I just wrote and the second is that they have 32 bit compatibility modes where you run virtualization software (Virtual PC) to run XP while running 7 Pro or Ultimate. The problem with doing this (IMO) is that you can only utilize 3.5 GB of Ram.

If this is the way it has to be I can deal with that because Flexi will be the only program being used in 32 bit mode (hopefully). My only hope is that Versaworks and Rasterlink Pro 5 can be ran in 64 bit so I can use the whole 24GB of ram. Of course I mainly need the ram for Photoshop and the RIPs, not necessarily for Flexi. Just need to be able to use Flexi on the rarest of occasions.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
I'd recommend using WINDOWS 7 64 BIT pro. We just bought some Windows 8 and have had some software compatibility issues. They were fixed just need to find solutions for problems we didn't have using Windows 7.

trakers

Here’s a fact, every other consumer OS Microsoft puts out is s**t.

Windows 98 – Good
Windows ME – Crap
Windows XP – Excellent, Rock Solid (still running on all but one of our machines)
Windows Vista – Ugh…
Windows 7 – Pretty darn good
Windows 8 – Dog Poo
We can expect when Windows 9 comes out that it will be good as well.

Go with 7 Pro and you’ll be good to go.

wmshuman

I am definitely going with Windows 7, just wasn't sure about whether to get Pro or Ultimate. Is the language packs and Bitlocker the only difference between the two OS?

I know there was a big difference between Vista Business and Ultimate. Didn't know if Ultimate was that much better or pretty much the same minus the two differences listed above.

wmshuman

Here’s a fact, every other consumer OS Microsoft puts out is s**t.

Windows 98 – Good
Windows ME – Crap
Windows XP – Excellent, Rock Solid (still running on all but one of our machines)
Windows Vista – Ugh…
Windows 7 – Pretty darn good
Windows 8 – Dog Poo
We can expect when Windows 9 comes out that it will be good as well.

Go with 7 Pro and you’ll be good to go.

Yeah, that's true. I switched up to an iMac when vista came out and haven't looked back... Except now I need a powerhouse system and the Apple version of a similar system is almost 4 grand whereas I can build a Windows version for a little under $1300. Love my Mac though.

trakers

We chose Win 7 Pro because of the built in copy of XP for older SW compatibility.

We still love XP tho, because I don't know about you fellas, but our computers are the lifeblood of the business. EVERYTHING here is dependent on them running stable, day after day, hour after hour. Quoting, design, cutting, ripping, invoicing, etc. I don't have the time to fight computer issues.

We (briefly) looked at Win 8. Dudes, that is just wrong. :smile:

Edit: And I forgot, our video security system runs XP as well. Been running continuously for over 6 years, no reboots, no crashes.

choucove

For the majority of our customers I recommend Windows 7 Professional just because it's what is familiar. For the OP situation, I would recommend Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. There's not really going to be anything in Ultimate that you need over Professional. The 32-bit version will ensure that you have compatibility with the older versions of Flexi, and you can still utilize up to 4 GB of RAM in the computer which is enough to get your work done.

However, there's sure a lot of Windows 8 hate that I see! And believe me I completely understand. However, we've been running (and also selling) numerous Windows 8 computers and do not have any problems at all with it. In fact, identical hardware we ship out running Windows 8 seems to set up just as easily and quickly as the computers with Windows 7. Windows 8 is a big learning curve, it operates much differently to do the same tasks, but I'm very interested in seeing how the 8.1 release will change that as it will be instituting a start button again of sorts, along with many other simple but effective ways of aiding people transitioning from older versions of Windows.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Same here.... all workstations are Windows 7 Pro (64 bit though since we have no apps that need 32 bit). All between 16 and 32GB ram with SSD drives. Love it.

Keep in mind, as Casey and chucove said, with Flexi 8.1 you will be best to stick with 32 bit Windows 7. In that case you will have zero use for more than 4GB of ram. Also keep in mind, that 2GB video card, that 2Gb is included in 32 bit Windows 4Gb memory limit.... so you are effectively reducing the memory available to Windows and applications to 2GB with that video card. Flexisign, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc realistically have zero use for a high end 3D video card with 2GB of video memory. They will be just as happy with even a 256MB card although I'd still suggest maybe a halfway decent card with 512mb so Windows itself is not choking. CS5 and newer Photoshop does take a slight bit of advantage with a 3D video card as well for a few things but not much. You "might" get lucky and get Flexi 8.1 to play nice on 64 bit Windows but it is very hit and miss when people can get it to work well.

wmshuman

For the majority of our customers I recommend Windows 7 Professional just because it's what is familiar. For the OP situation, I would recommend Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. There's not really going to be anything in Ultimate that you need over Professional. The 32-bit version will ensure that you have compatibility with the older versions of Flexi, and you can still utilize up to 4 GB of RAM in the computer which is enough to get your work done.

I was at the understanding that Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate are by default 64 bit but have 32 bit compatibility modes built into them just like Vista had to run 32 bit software using virtualization software. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Also, I really need the 64 bit OS because I need the ram. The computer is built with 24GB of ram so might as well use it.

Currently, I am using 6GB of ram on my Intel based iMac and 6 isn't enough so 4GB isn't going to cut it. Of course I am running two OS with virtualization software, Photoshop, RLP 5 and Flexi at the same time along with other various software.

I agree that the video card is way overkill but it isn't exactly top of the line either. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions though. I think I'm going to go with W7Pro and hope everything works out.

Williams Signs

I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit using flexi 8.1 in compatibility mode with no issues. As Signburst said it is not supported from flexi but it works just fine. I built my new machine not long ago and went with the AMD 8120 8 core processor with 16 GB Ram on an ASUS Evo board with OC running processor at 4.0 Ghz and running ram in 1866 xmp mode. Installed a Samsung SSD and a 2GB video card running HDMI it is a very fast system for running Corel and Flexi.

Techman

Windows 8 is a big learning curve, it operates much differently to do the same tasks,

win 8 is a loser,, will be until they fix the lameness..

And is exactly one of several reasons why the old boy in charge of win 8 development was eased out of the company.

There was no need to make so many changes, often adding extra clicks to do the same job as in previous in versions.
The learning curve is way to high. If it takes users a couple of weeks to get used to the most basic of functions its not needed.
There was no need to remove the start menu.
Closing an app is like operating the space shuttle.
dragging from the right is useless in some cases
too many tiles.
It needs a simple task manager
they still haven't gotten the good search function. They may as well go back to the old NT which was loved by all.
jumping around metro is annoying..
And finally,, a lack of multiple window panes .. geeses what lameness.

Have to enable admin tools to get anything done.. try changing a password by dragging from the right,, what a waste of time. those functions should be a desktop icon. oh wait,, the desktop is filled with clutter. maybe...

win7 is the master OS . I can run software from the old win 98se days/ What more could one ask for?

choucove

I was at the understanding that Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate are by default 64 bit but have 32 bit compatibility modes built into them just like Vista had to run 32 bit software using virtualization software. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Also, I really need the 64 bit OS because I need the ram. The computer is built with 24GB of ram so might as well use it.

Currently, I am using 6GB of ram on my Intel based iMac and 6 isn't enough so 4GB isn't going to cut it. Of course I am running two OS with virtualization software, Photoshop, RLP 5 and Flexi at the same time along with other various software.

I agree that the video card is way overkill but it isn't exactly top of the line either. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions though. I think I'm going to go with W7Pro and hope everything works out.

I believe that you are getting Compatibility Mode and XP Mode mixed up here. A 64-bit operating system is a 64-bit operating system. Windows 7 can be purchased either in 32-bit or 64-bit versions, though most commonly it is now installed as 64-bit. Some 32-bit programs have no problem being installed in a 64-bit environment, but others just don't play nice and require a 32-bit OS. Flexi 8.1 is not supported on 64-bit OS, but it's not supported anymore period. I have heard of others running it in a 64-bit OS, just as Williams Signs has stated.

Windows XP Mode is an add-in that can be installed in the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and simply acts as a virtual machine with Windows XP running for access to old applications that will not run on newer operating systems. This XP Mode ran in Windows Virtual PC which is a very simple and low-resource intensive virtualization utility that is rather limited in its capabilities and feature sets but pretty simple for people to figure out at least. There are many newer and better options out there now. Windows 8 Professional can likewise have Hyper-V installed, which is their enterprise level virtualization environment to run much more powerful and flexible virtual machines from Windows XP, Linux, and even Mac OSX. This is free for anyone running the Professional version of Windows 8. Personally, this is one of the greatest things I love about Windows 8. You can actually set up a fully virtual server system running on Windows 8 or Server 2008/2012 and move virtual machines back and forth with ease. What this means for small businesses is that if their primary server goes down, while they are running a Windows virtual machine, that VM can be copied over to any Windows 8 Professional computer in their network, turn on, and be up and going without hardly any downtime. No need for an expensive backup server or additional licensing.

choucove

win 8 is a loser,, will be until they fix the lameness..

And is exactly one of several reasons why the old boy in charge of win 8 development was eased out of the company.

There was no need to make so many changes, often adding extra clicks to do the same job as in previous in versions.
The learning curve is way to high. If it takes users a couple of weeks to get used to the most basic of functions its not needed.
There was no need to remove the start menu.
Closing an app is like operating the space shuttle.
dragging from the right is useless in some cases
too many tiles.
It needs a simple task manager
they still haven't gotten the good search function. They may as well go back to the old NT which was loved by all.
jumping around metro is annoying..
And finally,, a lack of multiple window panes .. geeses what lameness.

Have to enable admin tools to get anything done.. try changing a password by dragging from the right,, what a waste of time. those functions should be a desktop icon. oh wait,, the desktop is filled with clutter. maybe...

win7 is the master OS . I can run software from the old win 98se days/ What more could one ask for?

I really have to agree with a lot of your points, Techman. Navigating to even simple tasks such as shutting down your computer in Windows 8 can be pretty clunky. It's like relearning the basics of your computer again because you can't go to the Start menu to do it anymore. Even when I installed Windows 8 on my primary computer, it took a couple weeks to get used to really using it, so I know how difficult it can be for my customers who aren't so quick or understanding with computer systems. That's why I very selectively recommend it to those I know will have the patience to pick it up or specifically ask for is because they want to keep up and are ready to take it on.

Over the past year we have sold several HP Business Desktop series computers for entry-level computer systems. On most all of their consumer products you can ONLY get Windows 8, but I am quite surprised to see still that HP Business series mostly offers models with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit pre-installed with an included Windows 8 COA for future upgrades. It shows that the business world is really not ready for that transition.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
There is no "default" x64 or x32. Which one you use is totally up to you. Just keep in mind, as mentioned, Flexi was not officially supported on x64 until 8.5 and it is hit and miss on users getting 8.0/8.1 to work right on x64. I think the issues that come into play are not as much with Flexi loading on x64 or in a "compatibility" mode but with Production Manager properly seeing the machines which are going to have x64 drivers loaded. If you are going with x64 and 24gb of ram then yeah, the video ram is a non-issue. Still really no need for a high end 3D video card though unless you are doing 3D work or plan on using your work systems for gaming (which is a bad idea in my opinion).