• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who is responsible for paying for repairs a serviceman created by their own doing?

Jim Hill

After reading all of the different comments I must admit that I am happy I do all of my own service on my printer.
I certainly do not know everything about fixing printers but I do have the ability to read and learn and if I do make a mistake I know just who to blame.

I also have become friends with a few techs who are always willing to help me out.

Part of the reason I started learning how to fix my own printer is I got tired of paying a $300.00 dollar trip charge to drive 5 miles and then paying another $150.00 @ hour plus parts.

Sure I make mistakes and I am more then happy to pay for them which I would have done even if a Roland Tech had made them.

Jim Hill

HulkSmash

After reading all of the different comments I must admit that I am happy I do all of my own service on my printer.
I certainly do not know everything about fixing printers but I do have the ability to read and learn and if I do make a mistake I know just who to blame.

I also have become friends with a few techs who are always willing to help me out.

Part of the reason I started learning how to fix my own printer is I got tired of paying a $300.00 dollar trip charge to drive 5 miles and then paying another $150.00 @ hour plus parts.

Sure I make mistakes and I am more then happy to pay for them which I would have done even if a Roland Tech had made them.

Jim Hill

It's good to be handy, but that rate isn't really that out of control. What's your labor rate? I bet its between 84-120 an hr, so pretty close to theirs - also trip charges i bet you do those too. They're in business to make money just like you.

Jim Hill

It's good to be handy, but that rate isn't really that out of control. What's your labor rate? I bet its between 84-120 an hr, so pretty close to theirs - also trip charges i bet you do those too. They're in business to make money just like you.
My labor rate is between $35.00 and $55.00 dollars @ hour. I do not charge a trip charge at all.
I am in business to make money but I don't try and make a killing on each of my customers.
I have been in business for the past 18 years doing the exact same way.
Jim Hill

equippaint

Not knocking but if you knew it was the dampers, why didnt you just change them yourself? It would have avoided all of this.

Its unfortunate but reality is when you hire out repairs, you sometimes end up paying for others training and screw ups. We run into this with heavy truck repairs all of the time and theres not much you can do about it. Its hard to get footing in a debate about a mechanic breaking something that was already broken.

redprint

Not knocking but if you knew it was the dampers, why didnt you just change them yourself? It would have avoided all of this.

Its unfortunate but reality is when you hire out repairs, you sometimes end up paying for others training and screw ups. We run into this with heavy truck repairs all of the time and theres not much you can do about it. Its hard to get footing in a debate about a mechanic breaking something that was already broken.
Because I am so busy, I don't have time, and I thought someone with experience could do it quickly without I spending a half day replacing a part that I have never replaced before. I can make more money producing than changing a dampener.

HulkSmash

My labor rate is between $35.00 and $55.00 dollars @ hour. I do not charge a trip charge at all.
I am in business to make money but I don't try and make a killing on each of my customers.
I have been in business for the past 18 years doing the exact same way.
Jim Hill
I'm very happy you're able to keep your overhead under 35$ an hr... that's impressive. Unfortunately, if we do not produce over $1800 a day, we go in the red. Our minimum is $250 just so we can keep our doors open, and that isn't me making a killing on my customers. It's just common business. I'm assuming a big repair company would have similar or even more overhead. As a business owner for 18 years, i just find it odd you wouldn't understand/acknowledge that. Also not to mention every one on this site, just dogs people who do their own cutting/printing..as a hobby and try to sell "Stickers to their friends" telling them leave it to professionals. It's kinda 2 way street.