• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whoa!!! e-mail Graphtec about 64 bit driver support and just see what happens!

Joe Diaz

I wonder if it's a language barrier thing: "this decision will hurt your business I'm afraid."

I’m wondering the same thing.

You know, you gotta do what you gotta do. But… I’ve always felt the best way to get good results when you call for technical support is to shower them with kindness. Think about it for a sec. 99% of the calls a tech support guy or gal gets are from people wanting help fixing a problem, right? What other reason is there to call? I’m guessing the majority of those calls are angry in nature because the customer is experiencing an inconvenience in their day to day operation.

Consider this, No mater whose fault it is, what is constant is that you need their help.

Being good natured towards the technician is probably a change in pace for them, and may be better motivation then threatening them with the idea of taking your business elsewhere and the threat of giving them bad publicity. Think about being on the other side of the phone call or message. We have all been there. When a customer is negative towards me, it’s human nature to get defensive and to not feel compassion towards fixing their problem regardless of whose fault it is. The message doesn’t have to change. You can have all the same complaints but the manor and tone on which the complaints are made makes a huge difference on how they respond.

I’ve had a similar experience with our Graphtec plotter. We upgrade our computers when vista first came up, and we made the switch before all the negative reviews about vista. Personally we didn’t have any problems with vista except one; it’s that our Graphtec drivers wouldn’t work with it. We weren’t upset because, we knew our Graphtec was ancient, but regardless we called tech support. Taking the positive approach made a big difference, because they did everything in their power to help us with our problem and we came up with a great solution. We are now able to run our plotter in vista even though it says on their site that they didn’t support vista with that model.

Now we could have been mad at Graphtec for having to go out of our way to contact them for help. But I look at it this way, we have had this thing for about 8 years now, and we got it used, so the thing is a battle axe and just keeps going. That is quality. When the plotter does die, which all things do, we will probably get another Graphtec.

SignBurst PCs

Many of the industries hardware and software companies have become 64 bit compatible. They are not true 64 bit applications yet, but will run well in a 64 Bit environment.

Flexi 8.0 and above, Onyx 7.2 and above, Wasatch, Adobe CS2 and above, Corel X3 and above, and even the newest Omega (even though it's website doesn't list it yet) all run well on our 64 Bit Vista computers.

If your equipment drivers are included in the driver base of one of those programs, in many cases, you are going to be able to run in a 64 Bit environment (even if the hardware manufacturer hasn't officially released a true 64 Bit driver). The 32 Bit emulation in Vista 64 is fantastic. Graphtec may be one of the stragglers.

There is WIDE support for 64 Bit Vista drivers in most mainstream hardware manufacturers. If you don't beleive me, go check for Vista 64 drivers for chipsets, video cards, sound cards, desktop printers, etc. You will most likely find Vista 64 Bit drivers for all modern hardware and many older (legacy) models as well.

I personally use a 64 Bit systems for everything (even my laptop). Even though my laptop only has 4GB of RAM, I get to use all 4 GB instead of 3.? that a 32 Bit OS would let me use. I have NO stability issues and I run ALL of my business applications on 64 Bit Vista. I have not even had to upgrade to all the newest versions of my software due to "compatibility mode" and "run as administrator" in Vista, which allows me to "trick" older software into thinking it is being run on a XP system.

There may be stability issues from certain manufacturers, especially (but not limited to) those that don't build their systems "stout" enough. Since I don't use those computers, I can't intelligently comment on exactly what those issues are. I only hear what my peers in the computer industry tell me. The fact remains, our customers feedback has shown very few issues (like almost nil) with Vista 64 on our computers. We did see issues before SP1, but those have long since been resolved.

I know that there are many that have a different view of Vista (32 or 64), but in our experience, it is a solid OS.

I have not heard anything (and I have direct "Channel Partner" connections) about "scrapping" Vista. MS is right on schedule with Windows 7 and rumors are out there about a slightly early release. That being said, from most accounts, Windows 7 is said to be an "improved Vista". Much of the same code is being used. I am excited to see it in it's RTM form, although I may not be recommending it to customers for several months after release, just to be safe. We will indeed be using and testing it from the get-go.

Back to the orginal post. I was told about Graphtec's view on 64 Bit over a year ago. I thought that they were just lagging behind until I was told that they had NO PLANS of 64 Bit support. I was very surprised as many of the other equipment and software manufacturers were already onboard with 64 Bit Vista. This is one on the reasons that we have to keep a 32 Bit system in our line-up (SignBurst Inferno™ "RIP"). Roland (VersaWorks), Mimaki (Rasterlink), and Graphtec are all still stuck in the 32 Bit world for now.

Last edited:

Kemble

I just installed XP Pro 64 and 8G of ram over the weekend on my computer (yes, I'm one of those that runs everything on one computer). Went to install my Graphtec CE3000MK2 and realized I can't. Came here and found this post and my answer.

My question is... Since I'm only running a cutter & not a printer, Is it better to run a dual boot system on the same computer or set up a small rip station? If I set up a smaller rip station all I have to put together is from parts from my old computer as I upgraded. I'm able to put together with XP Pro 32bit a 3.1 P4, 1gb ram, 250gb HDD, would this be enough? or better yet, even worth it?

SignBurst PCs

Dual boot is a pain because you have to reboot everytime you want to switch.

If the budget is there, a separate RIP workstation would be more efficient.

Since you are only cutting, those specs may be OK. Virtualization may be an option as well, if you are the tech savvy type. Virtual PC or VirtualBox are a good place to start.

Kemble

I've never ran a rip station before, I don't have a 2nd monitor nor the space for a whole new computer station. Is a rip station something I can get set up using my main monitor and peripherals and then hide it in the corner somewhere? Or is it something I'll need to use every time I cut? Will my LXi master 8.5 need to be installed on both systems? if so, does that mean I need a second key?

TresL

I haven't tried it.
But, here's a thought.

Run 32Bit XP as a VM on the 64Bit machine.
VM = Virtual Machine.

I run the following:
64Bit XP for Design
32Bit XP for RIP
with plans to go to Vista 64Bit & CS4

SignBurst PCs

I've never ran a rip station before, I don't have a 2nd monitor nor the space for a whole new computer station. Is a rip station something I can get set up using my main monitor and peripherals and then hide it in the corner somewhere? Or is it something I'll need to use every time I cut? Will my LXi master 8.5 need to be installed on both systems? if so, does that mean I need a second key?

It is possible to use the same keyboard/mouse/monitor for two (or more) PCs.

You will need a KVM switch to accomplish this. It would save you a little space. Generally, the KVM swith will allow you to switch between computers with a keystroke, pretty simple.

I would only try virtualization if you consider yourself an advanced "power user". It can be a pain sometimes. I use it, but lets face it, I am a geek.

Kemble

If I run a dual boot system, I would then have to design on the 32bit system still right? Cause how would the file get from my 64bit to my 32bit to get sent to my plotter?

Sigh... such a headache

Bigdawg

Just Me
I used to use KVM switch - loved only having one keyboard, monitor and mouse. Used hot keys to switch back and forth between copmuters...

Kemble

Well, I'm sorta a geek myself and am up for trying anything if it will be the easiest solution.

How does a VM work? would I still boot up in 64bit? would I have to still reboot to run 32bit?

SignBurst PCs

If I run a dual boot system, I would then have to design on the 32bit system still right? Cause how would the file get from my 64bit to my 32bit to get sent to my plotter?

Sigh... such a headache

You can share files between the two boots... they use they same hardware (including drives).

It would be a pain though. Like I said, I believe a separate system is best. Using a KVM switch, the only extra space you need is for the "tower".

SignBurst PCs

Well, I'm sorta a geek myself and am up for trying anything if it will be the easiest solution.

How does a VM work? would I still boot up in 64bit? would I have to still reboot to run 32bit?

You would boot into 64 and then open a "virtual computer" which is inside a window. It is pretty slick if you can get it to work. The 32 Bit OS would run entirely in a virtual environment and you would access it just like any other windows application.

Like I said, you could run into snags here too. I have seen it done in a few shops, but it is usually a last resort type of thing.

Kemble

OK....

I just got off the phone with sign warehouse. I called to ask how to set up a rip station with regards to needing (2) serial keys to run LXi on 2 computers. He told me I can run my plotter on a 64bit system.

Here is how you do it...

Of course the guy was foreign and difficult to understand but this is what I got out of him. Connect the plotter using a serial cable instead of USB by purchasing a Keyspan adapter http://keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/which is a USB to Serial adapter then a 9pin-25pin adapter and a serial cable.

Basically, I use USB to connect my plotter to my machine, it's Graphtec's USB driver that is not 64-bit supported. However the serial cable is. I was told by the tech support guy that if I connect my plotter via serial cable it will work just fine in 64-bit, I just need to buy a USB to Serial adapter and a serial cable and then connect the potter via Comm port and not USB. He told me he has 100's of customers running 64-bit and graphtec plotters this way.

intense_design

I called graphtec about my JX2100 and parts are already obsolete for it.. got it in 2004. They also told me that they don't make a Driver for Vista yet to run my plotter and they prolly won't make a driver for it. BOOOO

signman1

64 bit

Everyone, I was told that they were coming out with the driver for 64 bit in the summer of 09. Most of the other equipment people do not have a complete 64 bit driver, for their cutters or printers. So Mark I think you are way off base, but sounds like you got someone on a really bad day!

Kemble

Just wanted to give you all an update. I purchased the Key Span Adapter and installed the CD that came with it. When I installed the CD I went to my device manager and under "ports" it told me what port it installed it in. Hooked up my plotter with a "null modem cable" serial cable and a serial to parallel adapter. Used the parallel port on the plotter and it worked just fine. In my production manager in LXI I just chose the correct port and the 64-Bit computer and Graphtec plotter communicated just fine.

3dsignco

I am Kinda Confused here,
I only Run XP64 and have never had a problem with any of my equipment or software except my router that needs XP. (Just an older P4 to run the Shopbot software).

Is Vista that different. (Not that I would even think about switching to the Vista turd)

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I know that there are many that have a different view of Vista (32 or 64), but in our experience, it is a solid OS.

and i thought i was the only person that actually liked vista.....:doh:

I have not heard anything (and I have direct "Channel Partner" connections) about "scrapping" Vista. MS is right on schedule with Windows 7 and rumors are out there about a slightly early release. That being said, from most accounts, Windows 7 is said to be an "improved Vista". Much of the same code is being used.

and how many people will RAVE that 7 is SO much BETTER than vista....most of the people i've talked to that HATE vista, haven't actually used it....they've glanced at it walking by the PCs at the local box store.....

SignBurst PCs

and i thought i was the only person that actually liked vista.....:doh:

and how many people will RAVE that 7 is SO much BETTER than vista....most of the people i've talked to that HATE vista, haven't actually used it....they've glanced at it walking by the PCs at the local box store.....

My thoughts exactly. To me, Windows 7 seems like an improved Vista. I like most of the changes, but it is not a total rewrite of code. It is very much like Vista.

I love to see folks embracing Windows 7. It is odd to see the same folks that HATE Vista, love Windows 7 though. All I can think is that the initial bugs in Vista (that were fixed in SP1) put a bad taste in their mouths or they are running older (legacy) hardware and Vista bogged them down. 7 has most of the same features as Vista, but they are turned off by default or available by download instead of being included in the base install (as they are in Vista).

I don't see any "groundbreaking" in 7, but I like it still. It is new, fast, secure, and stable (so far). Sorry to be a :thread.