• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whoa! Interesting spat between a designer, an agency, and Spike Lee

JBusch260

This poster designer posted an anonymous letter to Spike Lee regarding use of his proofs that were submitted through an agency for the upcoming movie "Oldboy". Interesting turn of events, and frankly sounds like an absolute nightmare of miscommunication and malicious intent by the agency.

http://juanluisgarcia.com/dear-spike-lee/

I thought it might provoke some good discussion regarding artistic license and maybe even agency strong-arming. Anyways, I hope everyone is doing well and has a great Thanksgiving!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya gotta look through all the garbage and bologna.

Garcia entered a contract in which he handled things totally wrong [as he wrote in his own e-mail] and when he couldn't get his way, he tried contacting someone who had nothing to do with any of the negotiations.

What he's doing is wrong, but desperate. Of course, I can't blame him. If all the doors are closed, one might try anything to get compensated. However, the facts are still the facts and nothing about up coming babies were discussed in the contract, nothing about spousal fights were in the contract or any of his baggage he brings to the table at this point was in the so-called contract. He's playing on emotions and that doesn't fly, especailly in the business-world. I hope for his sake after making all the blunders he did, he gets something, but maybe this will teach a few members here, what the real world is really like. :cool:

Pat Whatley

Ya gotta look through all the garbage and bologna.

Garcia entered a contract in which he handled things totally wrong [as he wrote in his own e-mail] and when he couldn't get his way, he tried contacting someone who had nothing to do with any of the negotiations.

What he's doing is wrong, but desperate. Of course, I can't blame him. If all the doors are closed, one might try anything to get compensated. However, the facts are still the facts and nothing about up coming babies were discussed in the contract, nothing about spousal fights were in the contract or any of his baggage he brings to the table at this point was in the so-called contract. He's playing on emotions and that doesn't fly, especailly in the business-world. I hope for his sake after making all the blunders he did, he gets something, but maybe this will teach a few members here, what the real world is really like. :cool:

I don't think you read the article right, Gino. While he admits he willingly did the original work for a pittance and he willingly chose to put far too much effort into his submissions the agreement was that if his submissions were chosen he would be fairly compensated. His submissions were selected but an agreement couldn't be reached about what they were worth so he didn't release them. He wrote it off as a loss, acknowledged his stupidity, and went on with life....then they used them anyway. Granted, the part about his baby getting diarrhea and his dog dying were unnecessary and didn't help his argument unless he's trying to get on The Ellen Show.

The bigger issue here is that Spike Lee is remaking one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and in pure Hollywood fashion is going to completely ignore the artistry and focus on "Muricanizing" it.

Baz

WTF ... You don't do work and after try to negotiate a price. All that stuff should be addressed before you start submitting design ideas.

Rookie mistake ... Live and learn.

Techman

rookie mistake for betting on a speculation job. Rookie mistake for falling for the oldest trick in the book of thieves guide. Rookie mistake of spending some time speculating he would get paid on a promise.

But the ad agency is not a rookie company and is in fact STEALing the guys work. They stole it and he owns it. If he pursues the case he could win it.

My family has been around the film world for many years. I did work in So. Korea in the 90's and In fact myself and my son are in a Brittany Spears promo for her movie. From my experience usually every one involved is professional and hard working. The industry is too prone for lawsuits for them to be of lesser intents.