• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who's watching?

Are you watching Apples media event?

• My finger is tired from updating the link

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • checking, but only when I get a chance

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I'm waiting for Apple to post the movie afterwards

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Couldn't care less

Votes: 45 84.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

genericname

not just about simple voice commands. The new assistant feature is leaps ahead. you can say for example, "remind me to call my wife when I leave work" and the assistant will set up a "geofence" that when you leave the designated area, it will send you the reminder to call your wife.

Ah, see, that is pretty cool. Sounds like it's basically tying context to keywords, but nobody else seems to be doing it like that, which leaves me scratching my head. Thanks for the explanation!

2972renfro

Amazing anytime the word apple is mentioned all the naysayers jump in here and bitch and whine. It takes a bit more than marketing to sell a $200-500 product. The PC zealots are louder and bigger fanboys than the apple followers around here save for a few

Anyone mentions Android, HP, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC etc and you don't get much commentary here

Consumers like Apple products. Apparently all of the signmakers here at signs101 are just geniuses that know better than everyone else in the country

Name me one electronic/computer product that has the success of anything Apple has produced in recent years. They are kicking butt with their phones, music players and tablets. No tablet manufacturer is REMOTELY close on sales. No music player is close on sales. The only reason Android has similar market share is because about a dozen mfr's produce some form of this os/phone and due to the limitations of exclusivity. It took a couple of years for the iphone to be available to anyone outside of AT&T so AT&t's track record/service hindered what could have been even greater sales numbers

ucmj22

I don't care what anybody says... that is just frigging cool! And no, you don't need to buy the new iPhone 4S to get it... it's in the new OS5 which will upgrade on the iPhone 4! :clapping:

I think that feature (the Siri assistant) will be limited to the new iPhone4S because it requires the more stout A5 processor to manage the AI. But I do expect some other voice features to be available to iPhone 3GS and 4 users such as speech to text for messaging. I could be wrong, but that it how I understood it.

skyhigh

The only Apple product I care to have is their STOCK.

I can't believe the cost for the phones, and the excessive monthly fees that people pay.
What is it... at least $80 bucks a month for 1 phone? And how many have 3 phones in their family (mom, dad & 1 kid)? Thats $240 bucks to check the weather.

I don't have a "smart" phone, but I can make calls...set an alarm....index appointments in my calandar.... take pics and send it directly to my email (great for site surveys)..... and phone a friend at home to check the weather on the weather channel. :rolleyes:

Smart phones are an expensive toy...IMO.

(omg I must be getting old and cheap)

ucmj22

I can't believe the cost for the phones, and the excessive monthly fees that people pay.
What is it... at least $80 bucks a month for 1 phone? And how many have 3 phones in their family (mom, dad & 1 kid)? Thats $240 bucks to check the weather.

I don't have a "smart" phone, but I can make calls...set an alarm....index appointments in my calandar.... take pics and send it directly to my email (great for site surveys)..... and phone a friend at home to check the weather on the weather channel. :rolleyes:

we have 2 in our house, and the bill is 140, but we also dont have cable or satellite, or a home phone so we make it up in other places.

P.S. I can only see their stock EVER increasing another 33% and that could be years away so if you arent in already or can afford the $400 for a single stock, you missed the boat.

2972renfro

You can do alot more than the above with a smart phone. Once you have it, you will wonder how you did without it. The key is the apps developed for the phones

And you can get family members added on for $10-25 per month. You don't pay $80 per person. 3 phones, $150 here

Custom_Grafx

That Siri thing looks cool. Wonder if you can choose a sexier voice and if it can understand "text pete and tell him his crack's showin from down 'ere!".

ucmj22

That Siri thing looks cool. Wonder if you can choose a sexier voice and if it can understand "text pete and tell him his crack's showin from down 'ere!".

It currently supports English (US, UK, Australia) French and German. I cant believe Spanish isnt supported yet, but probably will be shortly.

ucmj22

So no iphone5?

all redesign on the iPhone4S was on the inside with the hardware. Faster dual core processor, 8Mp camera with new/better lens and 1080p video recording and the Siri personal assistant. If you want that ridiculous tapered design that has been rumored out there, you'll have to wait til next year. (personally I thought that tapered design looked like crap)

skyhigh

we have 2 in our house, and the bill is 140, but we also dont have cable or satellite, or a home phone so we make it up in other places.

We have 4 phones in our house and pay $140.
So you watch TV on your smart phone?

Its whatever you feel is important to you. I'd rather watch TV than play with an app that helps with my grocery shopping.

ucmj22

We have 4 phones in our house and pay $140.
So you watch TV on your smart phone?

Its whatever you feel is important to you. I'd rather watch TV than play with an app that helps with my grocery shopping.

We don't watch much tv. I refuse to pay money for a bunch of channels I don't want just to get the 3 I do. The first company that comes out with an à la carté service has my business, until then I'll watch what I want on the Internet.

CES020

An interesting side note, the guy that ran the company that "Siri" came from when apple bought them said that it was far more advanced than anything else on the market 2 years ago, so he predicted the changes that have been made by the apple team since they bought it to be pushing the "Artificial Intelligence" applications to a new level. He says that it's going to redefine how things work and this will be a paradigm shift in the entire world.

That will be an interesting thing to watch in the years to come. Just how far any of the suppliers takes the AI applications.

I've had the Siri application for a year or two already. It didn't do much for me at the time. Looks a lot better now.

You can download it in the app store now, but it's not as fancy as what's coming.