• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why are 64 bit computers such a pain?

dsignman

I own an HP laptop with a 64 bit processor. When it was loaded with Vista operating system I could load my Omega 3.0 and my Graphtec FC8000 set-up software, download a few added drivers, and after a couple weeks finally figured out how to get my plotter up and running. I recently got my free ($39.95) upgrade to Windows 7. My computer won't accept the Graphtec CD, nor will the downloaded drivers make the plotter talk with my Omega software. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Marvin......dsignman signs & designs:banghead:

cptcorn

adad
They aren't a pain to use at all... In fact it's no different than a 32bit system...

Usually it's the operator, or the manufacture of the equipment you're trying to use with the system, but very rarely is it the system itself.

dsignman

You are of no help!

I wasn't looking to be put down as a computer operator. I was looking for advise as most of my older programs will not load on a 64 bit system. A 64 bit system is very different from a 32 bit system. The technology has not reached most of the software developers yet. If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it. I just need to solve this challenge!

cptcorn

adad
I wasn't looking to be put down as a computer operator. I was looking for advise as most of my older programs will not load on a 64 bit system. A 64 bit system is very different from a 32 bit system. The technology has not reached most of the software developers yet. If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it. I just need to solve this challenge!

Yes the technology behind 32 bit and 64 bit is wildly different... The usability for 99% of the population is exactly the same though.

The solution to your problem is to contact the mfg of the equipment and get correct drivers.

The technology has been out since the days of Windows XP 64bit/ Windows 2003 server, so really, it's the mfg fault for being slow in releasing the drivers. If you can buy a computer that operates on a 64bit processor architecture, the developers can program for it. It does not take 7+ years to develop a 64bit driver.

This is not an attack on you, it's a truthful response to your problems.

tcorn1965

Hey Marvin, If your laptop was running the 64 bit vista OS and you upgraded to Win7 64 bit OS, like jhill said it is not a 64 bit OS problem it is a win7 issue. Additionally, what works in vista is supposed to, and I stress supposed to, work in win 7. OK a couple thoughts, when you received your upgrade DVD it should have came with two versions of the Win7, 32 bit and 64 bit, are you sure you installed the 64 bit?
And before you upgraded are you sure you were not running 32 bit vista, just because you have a 64 bit processor does not necessarily mean the OS is 64 bit.
I know this does not help a lot now. Like Mark said you could run in XP compatibility mode, but since you were up and running with vista not xp, who knows?
If the compatibility mode does not work for you, and it were me I would roll back the upgrade, get it back to Vista then make sure everything is working correctly as you had it before. Then I would confirm what bit Vista you were running. I would then do a full backup of my system, and try the upgrade again-confirming that you are upgrading to the same bit win7 as the vista you were running.
Good Luck
Terry

joeshaul

I'll take the current driver issues today over the driver issues of the past without a second thought. I still have a few pieces of equipment that run specifically off of MS-DOS and/or Windows 3.1 because people didn't bother writing drivers to exit protected mode for Windows 95 and so on. It was not uncommon back in those days for the equipment manufacturer to demand their specific computer setup including specific soundcard, video card, and so on for compatibility purposes, there was also some pretty pennies in the selling of those computers.

I'm going to take the opposing stance on this subject though, since I see it come up quite often. Some people will say the companies are lazy and such, there may be some truth to that, but in the end, you have changed, not the device and what it was designed to run on. Software is a very tricky thing, at the very best you can build a wrapper that basically tries to emulate the old environment, but the worst case is a complete redesign. From 13 years old to 23 years old I spent most of my time programming, especially in lower level languages, drivers were one of the things I touched a few times but eventually stayed away from due to their complexity and their pain in the arse debugging (without an ICE it's really tough). So, why rebuild the old project when you can start a new one, especially since you'll have to retest most every possible scenario to make sure a customer doesn't call up saying their app crashed halfway through that $50,000 print job and they demand satisfaction and blah blah blah.

To correlate this idea and place it in the signmaker's shoes: Say you sold a pair of magnetic signs for someone's truck, a few weeks/months/years later they went to put it on their fiberglass car and it didn't work, would you:
A. Redesign the laws of physics and change how magnets work
B. Refund the customer their money because you sold them magnets that didn't work on fiberglass
C. Tell them the magnets were designed for the truck, and that you would be more than happy to do vinyl for their car, but the magnets will not work on fiberglass and weren't intended to be used on fiberglass.

joeshaul

Why doesn't my dvd player play laserdiscs?

Because DVD's are inferior, my T2: Judgment Day Laserdisc looks much better than my Platinum Collector's T2: Judgment Day (or some such old laserdisc argument). The Blu-Ray version however, may be giving it a run for its money. Einstein once said, "there are only three things infinite in this universe, the universe itself, the stupidity of people, and the number of formats that Terminator 2 will be released on, and I'm not even sure about the first thing".