• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why are magnetics sticking to car paint?

gabagoo

I have one customer who tells me the mags on one of his drivers trucks basically welded itself to the doors.... He said the guy cleaned his vehicle religiously and would not lie. So it only stands to reason that if this set of mags reacted this way, then the entire roll probably would which obviously did not happen. can it be a clear coat issue?

I wonder if selling mags is even worth it any more.

CreatedDesigns

I have one customer who tells me the mags on one of his drivers trucks basically welded itself to the doors.... He said the guy cleaned his vehicle religiously and would not lie. So it only stands to reason that if this set of mags reacted this way, then the entire roll probably would which obviously did not happen. can it be a clear coat issue?

I wonder if selling mags is even worth it any more.

I say possibly the driver cleaned his truck but never took the mags off.

Snydo

Someone glued them on as a joke? Wax build up around the edges has bonded them on? Or maybe there was something on the vehicle when they were applied between the magnetic and the clear coat that caused some sort of reaction over time. The shop I work for requires a sign-off for wraps and magnetics for just this type of circumstance.

player

If they use cleaning chems on the back of the magnetic or don't clean them off under the mag the mag can soak them in or stop them from evaporating and then the chems attack the paint.

klingsdesigns

He lied!.. i told a guy to clean it every other week. Saw him a year or two later.. told me they welded to vehicle. He never removed them.

skarekrow

...He said the guy cleaned his vehicle religiously .... then the entire roll probably would...
Found this over here
"What you want to avoid is migration. Migration occurs when moisture becomes trapped between the magnet and the painted metal surface, which then causes various chemical reactions. These chemical reactions then migrate to the vehicle’s surface causing permanent staining and bonding to the automotive finish. Migration is more prevalent in lower quality magnetic sheeting and almost never occurs with higher quality products"

then there's this.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The market is currently saturated with inferior magnetic sheeting that is manufactured in China. The easiest way to spot this is by looking for a glossy coating on the reverse (magnet side) of the sheeting.[/FONT]"

MagnetStew

We buy all our magnetic material from Magnum Magnetics and we have only had a few issues with the magnet sticking to cars. Each time it was an issue of the customer never removing the magnet.

DesireeM

We buy Magnum as well. Never had a customer come back to us with this issue BUT we also tell them that the magnets should be removed (customers discretion) when on major highways at higher speeds because the wind can grab them and also at night because they can easily be stolen. So maybe our customers are actually taking our advice (not likely) and removing them often enough that they don't have time to weld to the paint.

petepaz

we had that with a set of magnets we made for our own van. like already posted it has to do with the maintenance. you need to remove and clean under the magnets periodically. make sure everything is clean and dry when you put them back. i bet most guys go to the car wash, take them off and just put them right back on. any residue from the car wash will cause this and the more the van is in the heat and sun it just bakes on the door.

SignManiac

I talk customers out of mags and sell them on direct lettering. I tell them I'll make them if they are dead set on them, but will not warrantee them at all. In fact I tell them that if they are not maintained religiously, they will destroy the paint on their vehicle. That usually gets the point across. Just not worth the hassle fighting with them when they come back complaining and wanting to make me cover any damage to their car.

I also remind them that magnetic signs make their business look cheap. It's not that hard to sell them on something better that really won't cost them that much more. Plus it's a better investment in their companies image. I can go on and on about mags but it's not really worth my time on the subject. I even sell mags for a couple hundred a pair and I still won't guarantee them. Blah blah blah, beer time coming up.

S11930

magnets are perfect for Home owners Associations

letting vans and pick-up are trucks are great. They look good, make you look real professional till you get towed by your association. I know letter the vehicle then cover it with magnetics, to get around the HOA but that is just an added expense. Magnetics work as long as you explain to the customer how to maintain them.

Pat Whatley

Back in 2007-2008 we had a roll of magnetic made by JASDI that failed miserably. Evey set we sold bonded to the vehicle it was stuck to. Called JASDI, they immediately admitted they had a manufacturing problem and offered to take care of the damages. They were really cool about it. Mentioned it to Fellers the next time we placed and order, they immediately blamed the customer. I kept explaining the manufacturer admitted it was a problem on their end and they had taken care of it....the Fellers sales rep stayed in full on defense mode and kept blaming me and my customer.

The reason for calling JASDI in the first place was because a local realtor bought a set, left them on her car for a couple of months and they stuck so her husband got after them with a putty knife and a paint scraper and destroyed the doors getting them off. He'd have done less damage with an angle grinder.