• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why can't business cards be glossy

Bigdawg

Just Me
Where's Rick and that soapbox of his?

Comic-con opened today :smile:

I like a nice matte or satin finish personally. But it depends on the card - ours are an old-style so bright glossy doesn't really fit. And the back of ours are printed too, but with a notes area.

Really just personal preference IMHO

GypsyGraphics

90% of our requests for cards are glossy. I don't know why, they just are. Ours are glossy as well but there is no room on either side to write on it either.

maybe that's partly why i don't like gloss, they're common place. however, they have their place and i still have clients that like a glossy card.

i usually chime in on this topic with a simple reply like "eewww"
but i really like the way Binki posed his question.... "I never really thought about it but what is the thinking on matte vs. glossy business cards?"

so i thought about my answer. of course it's a personal preference.

me personally... i like paper, i like the look and feel of it. i like the way the ink becomes a part of the paper.

i suppose in the simplest of terms (again personally)...
with glossy or coated stock, the ink sits on the card, it's a substrate that holds the art. but with an uncoated paper the paper is part of the art. and the more natural the paper the more the ink is absorbed, the more it feels like part of the art to me.

so on a business card, that include images that would benefit from a glossy finish, i would always opt for a matte card with spot uv.

Last edited:

"Deposit Please"

For myself, i like glossy. Matte is good too, but i think it all depends on the design & what kinda business it's for. Bottom line.... It's good to offer both.

G-Artist

Over the years I have printed and/or brokered 100's of orders for cards.

Personally, I don't think you can beat a classic linen laid paper. With the right combo of
colors they sort of ooze money...they seem, look and feel expensive. That projects an image.

I haven't had or used a business card since about 13 or 14 years ago on Father's Day when
I gave my last one out but I will have to print some up soon for a new business I am starting.

The only good thing that can be said about gloss stock (chromecoat) is that a process color
print will really stand out whereas printed on anything else it will absorb in and look muddy.

Techman

If you go to Japan..
Do not ever ,, never,, write on a b card.

I guarantee you will not be happy with results of that action whether you know about it or not.

Not techman, but from a quick google search:

--In Japan, business cards are called meishi. Japanese give and receive meishi with both hands. It should be printed in your home language on one side and Japanese on the other. Present the card with the Japanese language side up.

--Take special care in handling cards that are given to you. Do not write on the card. Do not put the card in you pocket or wallet, as either of these actions will be viewed as defacing or disrespecting the business card. Upon receipt of the card, it is important to make a photocopy of the name and title of the individual in your mind. Examine the card carefully as a show of respect.

--In a business situation, business cannot begin until the meishi exchange process is complete.

Ken

Techman, why is that?
Oh, many years ago, in an unrelated business, we had a Japanese delegation in my town. And I actually sent them home with some product. Which was cool..
They did have a front man who spoke english and he did advise us of some of the etiquette. For instance, my product at the time was made of wood and it was available with a clear coat or painted Black...Oh, the painted black was absolutley ruled
out. That was a harbringer of death or something like that.
Anyway..I like glossy 'cause it makes the colors "POP!"
Sorry for the diversion..
Cheers!
Ken

Biker Scout

Spot UV Coating for mine... get the best of both worlds! Nice smooth matte 16pt. card stock, with the logo or other embellishment coated for that touch of class!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I like glossy.
Women wearing matte lipstick just doesn't do it for me.

wayne k
guam usa

Edserv

We normally encourage clients to go with a gloss front, matte back (so they can write on the reverse.) This seems to work about 90% of the time. We also acquired a couple plastic card printers to be able to offer plastic card business cards to clients (we sell quite a few orders.) But in no-way can you write on these without a permanent marker.
But if you get into the plastic card market, you'll find you can offer loyalty cards, id's, discount cards, etc.
thanks,
Chris