• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why Do Banners Get Reffered By Oz Vs Mil?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
[QUOTE="Pauly, post: 1332011, member: 61007"...Some things have been converted, for example your your 4x8 ft boards, here and most of the world they're 1220x2440 sheets and its standard. not many will know what a 4x8ft is...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's handy. Replace something measured in units less than 10 with something that's measured in thousands of units. Real progress.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, well......... the space craft that go to the moon are based on the width of two horse's a$$es. No sh!t. That's all the wider the tunnels were from way back. and that started when Roman chariots roamed Europe and started the gauges for most all future trains. Over 2,000 year old technology and it's still good.

GVP

All I know is that a British pint is bigger than a US pint - and when it comes to beer, that's an excellent thing... :)

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Welcome to the future, where the metric system can be implemented around the universe. I mean you cannot teach an alien '"a foot is as big as a horse's ass and an inch is as big as my penis" o_O

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Welcome to the future, where the metric system can be implemented around the universe. I mean you cannot teach an alien '"a foot is as big as a horse's *** and an inch is as big as my penis" o_O"

I thought NASA outlawed metric system use after a conversion error caused the Mars Climate Orbiter to become the Mars Surface Impact-er in '98 no?

wayne k
guam usa

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
"Welcome to the future, where the metric system can be implemented around the universe. I mean you cannot teach an alien '"a foot is as big as a horse's *** and an inch is as big as my penis" o_O"

I thought NASA outlawed metric system use after a conversion error caused the Mars Climate Orbiter to become the Mars Surface Impact-er in '98 no?

wayne k
guam usa
Nope, NASA have been using both since 1990. in 2007 NASA moved to the metric system. The next moon missions will be measured in kilometers ect not miles.

bob

Welcome to the future, where the metric system can be implemented around the universe. I mean you cannot teach an alien '"a foot is as big as a horse's *** and an inch is as big as my penis" o_O

Please describe, exactly, why it is easier or more difficult to explain one arbitrary system as opposed to another. You think that the metric system is easier of description because you have 10 fingers. What if your alien subject has 12? Or a prime number, say 13? Use simple declarative sentences devoid of anything resembling equivocation in your explanation.Try not to stutter.

One entire inch? A truly massive member. Most impressive.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Please describe, exactly, why it is easier or more difficult to explain one arbitrary system as opposed to another. You think that the metric system is easier of description because you have 10 fingers. What if your alien subject has 12? Or a prime number, say 13? Use simple declarative sentences devoid of anything resembling equivocation in your explanation.Try not to stutter.

One entire inch? A truly massive member. Most impressive.

Why would it be necessary to complicate things. 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. 10, 100, 1000.
12, 24, 36, 48... 12, 120? 1200?
13, 26, 39, 52...
Seriously. 1 atom (which coincidentally can be found all over the universe) is 0.0001 microns or 0.0000001mm
You see how there's only zeros and not other numbers?
And there you have the universe standard.
10,000,000 atoms lined up in a string = 1mm,
100,000,000 atoms = 10mm
1,000,000,000 atoms = 7 sticks long.
9 sticks long = 1 trunk.
1 trunk = 1285714 143⁄500 atoms? see how using numbers plucked off a tree just doesn't work.

equippaint

I prefer doing any sort of technical drawing in mm so you don't lose accuracy with fractional rounding and most drawings are in mm that we use for parts. It would take some getting used to but Id vote to switch to metric ONLY if we kept miles, gallons, football in yds and didn't have to start calling gas petrol. Im too stubborn to wrap my head around liters/km and too cheap not to care.
I really hate getting plans that are in feet and inches then having to put it all to inches, figure out square inches, then back to sq ft to quote a job. You don't see metric specs that are 3m 25mm.

Johnny Best

The gun manufactures are the smart ones, they use mm, gauge and caliber so everyone around the world knows the sizes they want to purchase or need.

bob

The gun manufactures are the smart ones, they use mm, gauge and caliber so everyone around the world knows the sizes they want to purchase or need.

Two out of your three examples have nothing to do with the Metric system. Gauge, as in shotguns, is defined as the number of lead balls the same diameter as the bore it takes to make a pound. Not a kilogram, a pound. A 12 gauge fowling piece requires 12 of the aforementioned lead balls to make a pound. Hence the lower the gauge the larger the bore.

Caliber is always expressed as a decimal fraction of an inch. Not millimeters, not centimeters, an inch. A 30 caliber gun has a bore equal to .30 inches.

Referring to your previous communique, a base 12 system would progress 12, 144, 1728... Not base 10 starting from 12 as you described. If the human race had evolved with twelve fingers it's likely that we would all be doing base 12 arithmetic instead of base 10. It's actually superior since 12 has more factors than 10.

Moreover, all atoms are not the same size. If you have a system that's defined by the diameter of an atom, it depends very much on which atom you choose. It seems suspiciously convenient that the atom the was chosen as the basis for the metric system just happened to fit the prejudices of the definers. What if another culture did the same thing but picked another atom of a different diameter.

Unfortunately a meter is defined to be the distance light travels in 1 / 299,792,458 seconds, not the diameter of an atom of any element. Worse as second is defined as the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom. No integer powers of 10 to be found.

These definitions seem to have been selected to fit what already existed. For years a meter was defined by a physical artifact. Arbitrary, as I said.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, that was relatively easy enough to follow. This is one, I've been working on and it stomps me every time.

b86543edb40b48b6ea44704cc987e1e21a818592

with
89c0fd0d1116fef22d0996ee69cde0d8388682be
as an equation of the form.

Or is this the wrong forum for this ?? :bookworm

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I'll stick to the metric decimal system for its simplicity and accuracy.
i could not sit there and look at a measurement with 3 different forms of measurements (feet, inches and a fraction) all with different meanings to work out the length. i'll take a whole number even if it has more units than imperial, i'll know it's accurate.
The fact that all metric units are divisible by 10 and you'll get another unit of measure to improve the accuracy of that measurement is why i'd stick with it. Having other numbers other than 0 when changing units is just not necessary.

If you get the whole world to vote on that, i believe the majority would stand by metric. ;)

equippaint

The whole world pretty much did vote on it. The USA, Liberia and Burma are the only nations that chose to not stand by metric. Even the USA made the metric system the standard for international trade some time ago.