• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why do people use "Brand names" instead of the actual product name?

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Coroplast - Corflute - Corx = Corrugated plastic
Perspex = Acrylic

There's obviously a difference in different countries.

There's many more, But why do people do this?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion it's because the Brand was the first to market and became synonyms with the product.

For me its always been Coroplast, Diabond, Alumalite, Corian, Plexiglas.

WildWestDesigns

I can't speak for every one, but if I mention a specific branded product, there is typically something that I like about it versus others that I want to make sure that specific one gets used.

Now the difference(s) may be real or it may all just be in my head, I could care less about which one it is. If I don't have a preference, then it's just the more generic product type, just so long as that type is used.

Sometimes it's just marketing, sometimes there might be something else that makes me like one over the others (it may be right or it may be wrong).

That's just my take on it anyway.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
TV dinners, nylon, rayon, the list is endless.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Jester is correct in that the product names being used for material were usually the first ones to market.
If I take the time to put a product name in the call-outs (Plexiglas, DiBond, Sintra) it's because I want that specific product used in producing the job. Otherwise, I'd use "acrylic", "ACM", or "PVC" to describe those components.

Billct2

Its easier especially if the client isn't sign savvy, they know what Lexan is, but maybe not polycarbonate. They may have heard of Dibond but not ACM...etc
Depending on the client and the job I get more specific.A quote I just did for some PVC signs for a design company, I specified the Brand and product and spelled out that it was a premium exterior material so they may compare apples to apples.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
In my country we 'do xerox' and buy puma adidas (where adidas is the type of shoe and puma is the brand)
Wow, you guys are really mixed up.
I have a European background, so i do get what you're saying and experienced that first hand. I think it's more the language barrier also.

Its easier especially if the client isn't sign savvy, they know what Lexan is, but maybe not polycarbonate. They may have heard of Dibond but not ACM...etc
Depending on the client and the job I get more specific.A quote I just did for some PVC signs for a design company, I specified the Brand and product and spelled out that it was a premium exterior material so they may compare apples to apples.

Yes i've noticed a few of my clients do the same. I like to explain that perspex is a brand name and acrylic is the actual name of the plastic for example. To them it's something they've learnt and usually quite happy leaving my shop knowing something new and that we do like to talk to our clients and making sure they know what they want instead of just saying words and not knowing what they're actually getting.

I can have a client that wants Perspex printed. when they recieve the product and see Shinkolite written all over it, they'll get confused and probably think it's a different product.

WildWestDesigns

Heres a good list of trademarks that were lost for not protecting them.
15 Product Trademarks That Have Become Victims Of Genericization

I seem to recall reading somewhere, but can't put me hands on it right now, that Coke spends an ungodly amount of money keeping this from happening. Which isn't easy, especially where I have lived and where I live now (Plano TX (have), Mid TN (now)), most people refer to all soft drinks as Coke. I know I do, some are quite close, some are miles apart.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Plain and simple explanation: EFFECTIVE MARKETING...namely BRANDING.

Businesses spend exorbitant sums of money to firmly implant their products into your cerebral folds.

It all started way back when rancher X placed a brand on his or her cattle to discourage rustling, and it quickly matured when said brands could be used to differentiate their cattle over the competitor.

The idea caught on with other products, and the rest...they say...is history. Especially for this dude: Elijah McCoy - Wikipedia

By the time the generics or off-brands started showing up, the power of marketing had already taken its hold.

Look at the term "Realtor". It's a trademarked name intended to elevate the perceived status of the finest property purveyors. Sadly, the moniker is foisted on even the lowest of slime ball schmucks nowadays.

JB

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like saying "Aluminum Composite Panel" vs Dibond... just looks weird on a bid

Did you know that.... Epcot's Spaceship Earth is an example of the use of ACP in architecture. It is a geodesic sphere composed of 11,324 ACP tiles.

Humm maybe Gino was on to something about these "Mickey Mouse" signs.....

equippaint

I like saying "Aluminum Composite Panel" vs Dibond... just looks weird on a bid

Did you know that.... Epcot's Spaceship Earth is an example of the use of ACP in architecture. It is a geodesic sphere composed of 11,324 ACP tiles.

Humm maybe Gino was on to something about these "Mickey Mouse" signs.....
After reading this about the construction at epcot:
"Pipes stand the aluminum skin panels away from the skeleton and provide space for utilities. A small service car is parked in the interstitial space between the structural and cladding surfaces, and can carry a prone technician down the sides to access repair locations"
Go follow the alucobond link and read about fire characteristics: Sandwich panel - Wikipedia
  • Design of a cavity between the cladding and the exterior wall of the building (or its sheath of insulation) is also significant: flames can occupy the cavity and be drawn upwards by convection, elongating to create secondary fires, and do so "regardless of the materials used to line the cavities".[17]
Sounds like spaceship earth could be a death trap if it ever had a fire.