• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why does Sign Warehouse have to suck?

Jim Doggett

Looking up your info is not tech support, it's customer service. Lame of them for sure.

I have to agree. I think our fee-for-service policy is pretty legit, since we do our best initially to train and support. But if new people come on board or technical issues come up years later, a fee is pretty reasonable. Without that, we'd need to jack up our prices to cover the cost of staffing technicians, which many companies do. But I think most would agree, we have some remarkably good deals on equipment.

@bjones:

However, this is different. And the info could have indeed been looked-up and provided to you in less time than it took to go back-and-forth in a quest to upset you, a valued customer who has bought a lot product from us.

So, I will definitely make this issue known to our owners and beg a revision to the poilicy, which I doubt foresaw this happening. So it should be an easy fix for us.

And please accept my apologies, @bjones.

Respectfully,

Jim Doggett / SignWarehouse

Jim Doggett

Wait a minute you buy something from Signwarehouse.. and Signwarehouse is responsible for maintaining codes and passwords etc.. without charging for this service.

What planet you come from ?

Signwarehouse rocks

Thanks for the support, Craig. But I think this is gray area where gripes are pretty legit. So, I'll put a full court press on our higher ups and say, "Hey; someone losses a computer, hard drive or whatever really ought to be given their code, download links and such, with having to pay; anything short of that seems a smidge unreasonable, IMO."

Wish me luck. :) And once again, many thanks!

You rock.

Jim

CES020

But I think most would agree, we have some remarkably good deals on equipment.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Is it a great deal if you have to go through all that hassle that gets posted here monthly? I'd rather pay $300 more for the equipment and live hassle free.

If you look at where Signwarehouse was 3-4 years ago, and look at where they are today, from a customers standpoint, it's night and day, in my opinion. Whatever fork in the road they took back then, they need to put it in reverse and get back on track. People shouldn't hate to do business with you.

I don't recall any monthly postings about how Advantage service stinks, or how N.Glantz, or Harbor, or any of those people are earning the same reputation SW is earning. Why is that?

You normally see one or two things slip between the cracks and people complain, but with SW, every time one of this posts come up, there are people in line to post similar stories. Certainly that's not happening because the business model is fantastic towards customer service.

Just my .02.

Move In Media

Thanks for the support, Craig. But I think this is gray area where gripes are pretty legit. So, I'll put a full court press on our higher ups and say, "Hey; someone losses a computer, hard drive or whatever really ought to be given their code, download links and such, with having to pay; anything short of that seems a smidge unreasonable, IMO."
Jim

Good idea. While I agree with Craig that by default you shouldn't necessarily be responsible for keeping track of that stuff(although I may be wrong, I'm not too privy to this stuff), if you DO it, it'll look so much better on you in terms of customer service. Can't be that complicated, can it? Keep like a spreadsheet with customer's info just for a case like this, or maybe add a field for that in whatever database you're using to keep track of customers' orders.

CheapVehicleWrap

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Is it a great deal if you have to go through all that hassle that gets posted here monthly? I'd rather pay $300 more for the equipment and live hassle free.

YES!

If you look at where Signwarehouse was 3-4 years ago, and look at where they are today, from a customers standpoint, it's night and day, in my opinion. Whatever fork in the road they took back then, they need to put it in reverse and get back on track. People shouldn't hate to do business with you.

NO! Sign Warehouse SUCKED back then too! They were ok 10-15 years ago, but they DEFINITELY sucked 4 years ago. Somewhere back then they became Sign Whorehouse.

Jim Doggett

I don't recall any monthly postings about how Advantage service stinks, or how N.Glantz, or Harbor, or any of those people are earning the same reputation SW is earning. Why is that?

You normally see one or two things slip between the cracks and people complain, but with SW, every time one of this posts come up, there are people in line to post similar stories. Certainly that's not happening because the business model is fantastic towards customer service.

Just my .02.

No argument, @CES020. We aren't perfect, and thus problems will happen.

But if paying more to have support for longer periods is your preferred, we do offer that as an option when purchasing equipment: http://www.signwarehouse.com/support-options.html

And it's got to come in one of two ways: hidden in the cost of the equipment, or; offered separately. And my preferred would be, and most of our customers seem to agree (do not opt-in) that a choice is better than no choice. At least initially :)

But if something happens down-line, it can be frustrating that it wasn't already paid for. But we sell many hundreds of cutters every month; more than any other dealer. And probably the most printers as well. And the vast majority need some help in the beginning, which is included, and then cut or print, happily, in the years that follow. So for the lion's share of our customers, not paying for something they do not need is kinda nice.

FWIW,

Jim

HulkSmash

No argument, @CES020. We aren't perfect, and thus problems will happen.

But if paying more to have support for longer periods is your preferred, we do offer that as an option when purchasing equipment: http://www.signwarehouse.com/support-options.html

And it's got to come in one of two ways: hidden in the cost of the equipment, or; offered separately. And my preferred would be, and most of our customers seem to agree (do not opt-in) that a choice is better than no choice. At least initially :)

But if something happens down-line, it can be frustrating that it wasn't already paid for. But we sell many hundreds of cutters every month; more than any other dealer. And probably the most printers as well. And the vast majority need some help in the beginning, which is included, and then cut or print, happily, in the years that follow. So for the lion's share of our customers, not paying for something they do not need is kinda nice.

FWIW,

Jim

Yeah, they're OK in pricing. But i know plenty of people who have bought from them, and SW won't lift a finger to help after purchase. I bought my printers from Proveer, and whenever i have issues, they're more than willing to help, so is grimco. And if they can't fix it, they send someone out. As i said nothing wrong with products, just service is awful.

Did i mention you guys sell your stuff on ebay to the general public too?

CES020

But we sell many hundreds of cutters every month; more than any other dealer. And probably the most printers as well.

Think about how incredible your business would be if those people didn't leave your company to buy their consumables. Someone can't see the forest through the trees. Not you, but the one's running it.

A little expense would go a long way in making the customers happy, which would turn them into customers for a long time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I don't have a problem with Sign Warehouse, but then again, I don't think I've ever ordered anything from them.

I will add this. In 1995, we bought a bunch of Gerber software, and two plotters along with some other big ticket items. We were doing a major investment/upgrade at the time on equipment.

Many years later, the computer with the Gerber software crashed. We got another computer and installed all the programs including the Gerber software. However, we couldn't find our security password. At this time, the place where we had bought the equipment had gone out of business, so we called Gerber direct. They informed us that we were two versions behind and they no longer supported the version we had. I asked, well how do I get help ?? I don't remember how much, but it was something like $475.00 for tech or customer service on things that old. Wha ?? I called someone else who had connections and they found out.... even with that $475 service, they won't be able to find my password. That software is now a goner. So, how do I get it to work ?? I had to buy all new software and load it in and the old files would transfer over 100%.

I asked a very serious question. At the time we backed up to a separate drive, but it was also on the old fried computer and with the level of recovery.... was told we couldn't access those files. So what good will new software do, if we have no way of bringing the files to life ??

So, even if we would've paid, those files were lost forever. We now only use Gerber plotters, but not their software.

thewvsignguy

I do keep going back to them because they are the only seller of 48 or 50 inch print media that i know of.

You should try PROVEER SIGN SUPPLY in PA. I too was in the same boat as you, sucked back into Sign Warehouse because of the size media I needed and could not wait a month for. The material from PROVEER is about the same cost but they charge $10 for slitting and the shipping is free for us and you will get it in a day or two.

401Graphics

You should try PROVEER SIGN SUPPLY in PA. I too was in the same boat as you, sucked back into Sign Warehouse because of the size media I needed and could not wait a month for. The material from PROVEER is about the same cost but they charge $10 for slitting and the shipping is free for us and you will get it in a day or two.
:thankyou: :U Rock:

Sign-Man Signs

I have to agree. I think our fee-for-service policy is pretty legit, since we do our best initially to train and support. But if new people come on board or technical issues come up years later, a fee is pretty reasonable. Without that, we'd need to jack up our prices to cover the cost of staffing technicians, which many companies do. But I think most would agree, we have some remarkably good deals on equipment.

@bjones:

However, this is different. And the info could have indeed been looked-up and provided to you in less time than it took to go back-and-forth in a quest to upset you, a valued customer who has bought a lot product from us.

So, I will definitely make this issue known to our owners and beg a revision to the poilicy, which I doubt foresaw this happening. So it should be an easy fix for us.

And please accept my apologies, @bjones.

Respectfully,

Jim Doggett / SignWarehouse

Well I guess I'm the exception. I've always gotten great service and fast shipping on anything I've ever ordered from Sign Warehouse. I have two plotters from them one over 8 years old and one over 6.
Jim Dogget however should be CEO. You're a great guy and always take care of the customer Jim. On the other hand I've used Fellers twice. Once to place a order and once to cancel my account. Hard to belive you didn't write down all you numbers on your software and doggle. Lesson learned.
Just my 2 cents.....

Fortune5sign

My signwarehouse review ....

In may of 2014 I spent over $20 k on a print system, sales lady was nice but spoke so fast she couldn't keep track of what I was ordering! I recall one of the pieces of equipment was 700 lbs and they didn't even get me a lift gate service. I referred one of our dealers on a print system to the same sales person right after I purchased mine and didn't even get a thank you or so much as a coupon?

Tech support is good if you don't mind waiting and playing phone tag for a few days why your business sits at a stand still! I will also be switching over to the bulk ink system because I'm tired of playing the monopoly! If I have a question anymore I research for a bit and if I don't get any results, I call mutoh ...I'm done in 5 min problem solved!

I have been doing business with SW since 2004, with in this next year we will be upgrading to a larger faster printer and will be taking our business elsewhere like Grimco!

CanuckSigns

Every supplier has a different market segment that they target, It seems Sign Warehouse is going after the hobbyist, not "real" sign shops, hence the cheap equipment, ebay sales etc. The hobbyist does not care about service, chances are they are going to move on to new endeavors after a year, they are only looking at price.

we have similar suppliers up here as well.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
They have always been this way. I bought a Mutoh Falcon from them 9 years ago and it never printed correctly. They didn't lift a finger to help. I contacted Mutoh and they just told me I had to deal with the distributor(SW). I reported them to BBB and I finally got a call from them and they sent a tech out. He was more interested in inspecting my environment than addressing the issues. I couldn't print without massive bleeding between colors. His solution was that I would need to leave a white outline between colors in my design. I am not kidding!!!

I eventually gave up and rolled a $15k printer into a corner and bought a Roland, all my problems went away. Never dealt with them again.

The cost of equipment is the tip of the iceberg. There are many lost hours, thousands of dollars in "recommended" media and continuously letting down customers when we couldn't deliver.

Pick quality equipment, quality materials and a good distributor, it is the cheaper solution.