• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why I don't donate signs.

Pat Whatley

It's a standing rule here....DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR CRAFT. I've always been pretty adamant that giving signs to charity is a complete negative all the way around. I'll donate cash, I'll donate time, but I'm not giving away what I rely on to make a living. I've never seen a dentist cleaning teeth at a golf tournament.....I'm not giving my work away either.

My two biggest customers are major sponsors of a charitable event and the marketing director for one of them called and asked about me helping them out so I made an exception this time and agreed to donate the $600 (retail) worth of sponsor banners they needed.

They sent over all the sponsor logos they needed on the banners, I set it up, added my logo, and sent the proofs in. First email I get back tells me to rearrange a few of them, adjust the size of a couple of them, and remove my logo.

Apparently the companies with their logos on the banners donated $500. When I mentioned I was donating $600 in banners she said, and I quote "That's an in-kind donation. Only the companies who actually made a financial donation are getting logos on the banners." I tried to explain my position, she just kept trying to tell me why I was an in-kind donation. Finally I told her that what we could do is that they could just buy the banners from me and I'd write them a donation check for exactly what they paid for the banners. Her reply? "So you're not donating the signs now?"

She ended up having to talk it over with the other planners, she called me back and said that since I wasn't giving them any option to go ahead and add my logo but to just put it last. It was obvious she wasn't happy about it.

I've been thinking about it the rest of the day. Now, apparently, my goodwill gesture has accomplished nothing other than making me look like an overbearing idiot.

:banghead:

MikePro

that stinks when you get people that want to impose themselves on your good deed... ida put my logo on the banners regardless. what would they have done? demand a refund?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Tough one.

I donate our services when I see fit and whether or not they want to acknowledge it... I too, sometimes feel like I get kicked in the gut.

For the most part, I try to never put my name on anything, because I don't want the next guy coming to me and saying.... hey, you did it for them..... what's wrong with us. So, I really try to keep it secret. My donations are mine and between me and who I'm donating to. That's all that really needs to know in my opinion.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Apparently, the person you're dealing with is lacking in some basic logic and reasoning skills. That's why she is working for a non-profit organization instead of doing actual work for an actual profit-oriented enterprise...

This is generally (but not always) my experience.

<edit> Wait, I just re-read your post.... Is the person you dealt with the "marketing director" of "one of your biggest customers" or is she someone involved with the charitable event?

Flame

When donating or helping someone out, first little balk about something, I threaten to pull my sponsorship. If it continues, I yank it and move on.

People simply don't appreciate work, and I have no time anymore for people dinking me around. Want to be known as a businessman or a "nice guy" ? I was the nice guy, really tired of being that guy now as it gets you nowhere.

They are being flat out rude to you man, screw em.

WildWestDesigns

No good deed... However, having said that, I do donote to the local little leagues around and that has been a nice return, but I do that because I believe in having things like that for kids.

TheSnowman

I donate stuff to the people I choose. I couldn't care less if people notice what I give my services/money to, and what I don't. It's my money...not theirs. If they want to throw money at it, go for it...when you earn your own, you can choose what you want to do with it.

rfulford

We have donated quite a few of these golf signs but I have always been told I can add my logo as a sponsor. As a matter of fact, I quite putting logos on donated signs about a year ago. I have never seen a single penny of business generated by a donated job. If anything, we will get more requests for donating printing and no real work.

Pat Whatley

I donate stuff to the people I choose. I couldn't care less if people notice what I give my services/money to, and what I don't.
My beef isn't really about the logo being on there or not. My problem is that she essentially told me to my face that what I was doing for them had no value. She just reiterated my feelings about donations....in her mind signs and banners are cheap since they didn't have any cost to her.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
caulk it up as experience...

i bet i know what the answer is going to be next time someone asks you....

jiarby

There is no profit in workling for free...

All you attract from it is other people wanting free stuff too.

You should have negotiated up front... You get xxx level of sponsorship (banner, sign , program ad, your ad promo in the goodie bag, etc...) AND also a spot for your foursome.

Did the golf course donate the tee times? Hell no! They make money off these tourneys.

Just quote them your price. If they balk (and you want to play golf) then offer the trade. If they balk again then politely decline. You have not lost anything but a customer that doesn't want to pay you for anything anyway.

SignManiac

I had someone come to me and ask if I would be a hole sponsor for a tee box sign. I said so who is doing to signs? I said why would I want to give you my money to put in another sign companies pockets? She said, I see your point. I said I'll print your signs and you give us a sign and a spot for a foursome in the tourney and she agreed. Worked out fine that time. But no, I seldom sponsor anything anymore unless it's something I want to support and for no other reason.

I'm a for profit company...